Quantcast
Lawn Care - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Care

My Ride
    03' B6

Default Lawn Care

Hey everyone,

I'm sure many people are in the same boat but since most of the snow is melted off my lawn, I'm starting to realize how much work it's going to take to get my lawn back in to decent shape. As much as I want to spend most of my time power raking, re-seeding and fertilizing, I don't have enough time to do it myself. I've scoured Kijiji but there seems to be too many options, so if there's a company that someone can recommend and vouch for, that'll make the decision easier.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wheres that beyond dude who does power raking? That guy was fast and hard working.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    03' B6

Was it Goldrush Landscaping? I read a previous thread that the guy is no longer doing that shiz....

My Ride
    Blue boy

on the topic of landscaping companies, can anyone recommend some to grade a yard?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Yeah with all the snow, salt and deer/rabbits my lawns are in a bad way as well, as is my back, so will be looking for someone to at least power rake.

My Ride
    03' B6

Yesterday some dude from Property Stars knocked on my door as they were doing yard work for my neighbors and around the community trying to reel me in on his services. I haven't done anything to my lawn this year and it was starting to look pretty gross lol. Anyways, he sold me on this 'Rejuvenation Plus' package which includes - dethatching/raking and bagging, over seeding, fertilization and aeration for a 'discounted' price of $252.0/$264 with GST. He took a quick guess as how big my lot size was - "under 50 ft wide, right?". The lot size is 60x100 and I offered him $240 and payment would be through credit card. He was generous on the seeding, raked up all the dead grass and explained to me that all I needed to do was water the grass for 30 minutes every night for the next 10-14 days. So we'll see how it looks in 7-10 days but was pretty happy with their service.

http://www.canadianpropertystars.com...on/alberta.php

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    explained to me that all I needed to do was water the grass for 30 minutes every night for the next 10-14 days. So we'll see how it looks in 7-10 days but was pretty happy with their service.

http://www.canadianpropertystars.com...on/alberta.php

This is the most important part. I used to do all those other things but now I just make sure I water heavily in the early spring and my lawn always comes in thick with no weeds. The only car I do is the one area where the dog does his damage. So in early spring I put my underground sprinklers to come on for 20 minutes every day @ 6am for two weeks. I then switch to every second day for 15 minutes.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Those who have UG sprinklers are in luck. Set it to water few times in the morning. On our street those who have UG sprinkers are the ones with the best lawns provided they do the regular care. Next few days might be a good time to do some overseeding. If we get a few days of small precipitation as forecasted it would be nice.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Fewer but longer watering is better than shorter but frequent watering. The roots of the grass become more established and dig deeper, making them more resilient.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Fewer but longer watering is better than shorter but frequent watering. The roots of the grass become more established and dig deeper, making them more resilient.
    +1. Twice a week lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post

I would suggest time of day is just as important. Better to water in the early hours than mid day.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    I would suggest time of day is just as important. Better to water in the early hours than mid day.
    Agreed. My routine is 45 minutes Monday/Tuesday @ 6:30 am for Front/Back, and again Thurs/Fri.

Weeks with rain, or when its been cooler, lay off a bit.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Might buy myself a couple timers and an extra hose. I am at work around 6:15am so no time to water in the morning.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Couple days ago I picked up a 1L bottle of Killex which connects to my water hose for weed spraying. I definitely oversprayed since I pretty much used the entire bottle which is meant for 8800 sq ft apparently

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Couple days ago I picked up a 1L bottle of Killex which connects to my water hose for weed spraying. I definitely oversprayed since I pretty much used the entire bottle which is meant for 8800 sq ft apparently
    Please post results. I've been considering trying this to see how it works.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Does your entire lawn have weed mixed in? Ours have a few here and there and I bought the other stuff, the Eco sense but I haven't applied.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Can anyone tell me what kind of grass seed I should get for dog spots on my lawn. The last seed had was really whispy and didn’t blend at all

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Can anyone tell me what kind of grass seed I should get for dog spots on my lawn. The last seed had was really whispy and didn’t blend at all
    if it's just a few spots, maybe something like this?
    https://www.rona.ca/en/dog-spot-gras...907-g-12675232

According to the following article, Tall Fescue Kentucky 31 should be good against urine but not sure where you can find it here
    http://lawngrasses.com/dog-traffic/#.WxAfUEgvyUk

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I sprayed my MIL lawn with the 1L killex on saturday, checked it again on tuesday and all the dandelions were curled and dead, no yellow flowers had popped up at all since saturday, I also sprayed both neigbors front lawns on both sides of her house, same result for them as well.

I used the same stuff last year on my own lawn and on the neigbours across the street (because their dandelion fluff always blows onto our corner lot and I did not have any dandelions last year.

Weedbgone by the way is shit. Do not use that.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I sprayed my MIL lawn with the 1L killex on saturday, checked it again on tuesday and all the dandelions were curled and dead, no yellow flowers had popped up at all since saturday, I also sprayed both neigbors front lawns on both sides of her house, same result for them as well.

I used the same stuff last year on my own lawn and on the neigbours across the street (because their dandelion fluff always blows onto our corner lot and I did not have any dandelions last year.

Weedbgone by the way is shit. Do not use that.
    Thanks for the info. We don't have too much but neighbors on our left (2 houses) and to our right both have plenty. Will pick up the Killex and return the other one. No harm to grass correct? Just stay away from trees, flowers and other growth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast