Quantcast
Ford to stop making pretty much their entire car lineup. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Ford to stop making pretty much their entire car lineup.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is absolutely not going to stop canadians from buying SUV/CUV/Trucks. our gas is nowhere near expensive enough to merit dropping the idea altogether.
    Actually, Canada has always been an outlier in North America. We buy WAY more small cars than the USA does on average, even when gas is cheap. Now of course, its rarely worth modifying cars to meet NA standards if their initial designs aren't global in nature, so that's what is doing it. The cars are still available in Europe, so they could come here, especially as gas in places like Vancouver just hit the highest recorded prices EVER in North America.

My Ride

It should be noted that the rest of Canada has different car purchase habits than the prairies. You don't see near the same amount of trucks and much much more small cars in Southern Ontario or the metro Quebec regions (which has close to half of Canada's population).

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
    It should be noted that the rest of Canada has different car purchase habits than the prairies. You don't see near the same amount of trucks and much much more small cars in Southern Ontario or the metro Quebec regions (which has close to half of Canada's population).
    Here is Stat Can data for 2017

Ontario
    Trucks: 583,555
    Cars: 273,600

Quebec
    Trucks: 281,084
    Cars: 187,726

Alberta
    Trucks: 202,209
    Cars: 46,604

Trucks include SUVs, Trucks, Vans in these numbers.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This is absolutely not going to stop canadians from buying SUV/CUV/Trucks. our gas is nowhere near expensive enough to merit dropping the idea altogether.
    My understanding was that during the recession/gas price increase in 08, there was an increase in small vehicle purchases, relative to large vehicles, in Canada.
    Our vehicle buying habits are more in-line with EU, in some cases, than the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea you see this in Vancouver/Vancouver island as well - small SUVs perhaps - but a lot of cars, esp older cars as they last longer with the gentle winters there.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Here is Stat Can data for 2017

Ontario
    Trucks: 583,555
    Cars: 273,600

Quebec
    Trucks: 281,084
    Cars: 187,726

Alberta
    Trucks: 202,209
    Cars: 46,604

Trucks include SUVs, Trucks, Vans in these numbers.
    I said "trucks" and "Southern Ontario or the metro Quebec regions", so not exactly apples to apples there. Also, those are 2017 car sales, I'm guessing?

In any case, your numbers show that Ontario and Quebec buy 13% and 21% less "trucks" than Alberta. Also, that Ontario bought more cars than Alberta bought both cars and trucks combined.
    Anecdotally, replace a pickup with a hatchback, and you are closer to what you see on the roads there.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I said "trucks" and "Southern Ontario or the metro Quebec regions", so not exactly apples to apples there. Also, those are 2017 car sales, I'm guessing?

In any case, your numbers show that Ontario and Quebec buy 13% and 21% less "trucks" than Alberta. Also, that Ontario bought more cars than Alberta bought both cars and trucks combined.
    Anecdotally, replace a pickup with a hatchback, and you are closer to what you see on the roads there.
    Numbers are just meant to show why Ford and likely some other makes soon, will move away from cars. The numbers show that Truck/SUV sales are steadily going up in all provinces, while car sales are either flat or declining in most provinces. My guess is USA is the same way.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Ford of North America knows the dummies here just want big trucks and SUVs. The profit margins are huge.

I just got back from 2 weeks in the EU (rural areas) - the cars they have there look 10x better than here and way more practical....3 door vehicles, diesels, lots of estates and people have tow hooks on their vehicle for the odd occasion they have to haul something around.... instead of driving around a 3 ton vehicle for the 1-2x a year that they might need to.

Its a completely different mindset in the rest of the world and Ford is just playing along.
    Surprises me that Car-2-Go doesn't get in on something like this. Pickup trucks on weekends for when people want to go to the dump or haul their trailer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Surprises me that Car-2-Go doesn't get in on something like this. Pickup trucks on weekends for when people want to go to the dump or haul their trailer.
    As far as I know every truck rental option specifically prohibits trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. Just looking at some of the turds they produced over the years (Taurus, Five Hundred, etc.) I can't imagine they sell too many cars. Even their entry level models are rarely competitive. The ST/RS line is better so that will be a bit more of a loss if that's gone though. I don't think anyone is buying the Taurus except fleet.

As mentioned, most people buy CUV/SUV now anyway but outside the USA (granted that's a huge market) I don't know how popular the Ford SUV lineup is are given the other options out there. The Escape is a POS, as was the Explorer but I haven't seen the brand new one yet. Their Windstar/Freestar vans were such a disaster they stopped making that ages ago. They should just make F-150's and Mustangs haha.

I really wish there was more wagon options here, especially outside of the premium German brands.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    As far as I know every truck rental option specifically prohibits trailers.
    Yup agreed, but if an option existed for people that did allow them to tow perhaps they'd reconsider that full size SUV or 1/2 ton for the remaining 350 days a year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yup agreed, but if an option existed for people that did allow them to tow perhaps they'd reconsider that full size SUV or 1/2 ton for the remaining 350 days a year.
    Yeah, but realistically, the pickup trucks would sit all week, and most of the winter, so theyd be popular for 50 days a year, vs over 200 for the car2go fleet. The economics are terrible for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Yah true, good point

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Its definitely a combination of liability, and people are too stupid to know when its full or too heavy. i see so many hatchbacks and cars crammed with stuff to the point they are riding bumpstops, imagine what those people would do in a truck.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve rented a F150 with car trailer from Uhaul before.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4