Quantcast
Garage repair contractor - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Garage repair contractor

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Garage repair contractor

Looking to get some quotes to lift my garage up and put a footer wall around the bottom. Any suggestions?

My Ride
    Blue boy

bumping this up...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds like a huge job. Do people do this? I wish my garage was poured with a footer wall instead of the studs sitting on the slab soaking up water for half the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

It would definitely be a huge job. you would have to raise the whole garage probably close to 24" off the pad to get in the cribbing and to pour in the new concrete.

You would probably be further ahead to excavate slightly around the perimeter, remove the bottom 3 rows of siding, and installing some sort of waterproof membrane and sealer. I would think that doing it that way would save a TON of money and achieve the same goals of keeping water out.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Honestly for how simple a structure a garage is, might be cheaper to demon and rebuild.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Honestly for how simple a structure a garage is, might be cheaper to demon and rebuild.
    I was kinda contemplating that too.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Interesting...I would like to do the same but was scared of the $$$.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Since I built my garage like 8 years ago, water has always pooled in one of the corners in the winter, soaking right into the drywall. I do have a pony wall all the way around, except on the front wall where the garage door is. I got fed up with it a few weeks ago after seeing that the drywall paper has completely separated, so I ripped that piece out, and poured myself a little pony wall up front as well. Now, it isn't as thick, or structural, but I think it will do a good enough job that my drywall, when replaced, won't get wet.

Wondering if that's something you could do as well, but all the way around?

I had some materials laying around, so i used a 1/4" thin cedar planks like the ones below, put two rows of them up and nailed them to the studs to make the backing for the wall so the concrete wouldn't collapse into the insulation and the vapor barrier. I then used a piece of very smooth plywood to make the front part of the form, but it can be whatever. I put some protruding screws into the back wall to create a "grab" point, so that the concrete was grabbing on to something. Bought a bag of quick mix concrete and filled in the form. Just removed the form front yesterday. Came out well.

Result:

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

might also just be a matter of re-grading around the garage.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Since I built my garage like 8 years ago, water has always pooled in one of the corners in the winter, soaking right into the drywall. I do have a pony wall all the way around, except on the front wall where the garage door is. I got fed up with it a few weeks ago after seeing that the drywall paper has completely separated, so I ripped that piece out, and poured myself a little pony wall up front as well. Now, it isn't as thick, or structural, but I think it will do a good enough job that my drywall, when replaced, won't get wet.

Wondering if that's something you could do as well, but all the way around?

I had some materials laying around, so i used a 1/4" thin cedar planks like the ones below, put two rows of them up and nailed them to the studs to make the backing for the wall so the concrete wouldn't collapse into the insulation and the vapor barrier. I then used a piece of very smooth plywood to make the front part of the form, but it can be whatever. I put some protruding screws into the back wall to create a "grab" point, so that the concrete was grabbing on to something. Bought a bag of quick mix concrete and filled in the form. Just removed the form front yesterday. Came out well.

Was your water coming from outside or water draining off the cars that's pooling?

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    might also just be a matter of re-grading around the garage.
    Could be but my grade is at least a foot higher, not sure how much lower I can go? Who would I call regarding that? a landscaping company?

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    It would definitely be a huge job. you would have to raise the whole garage probably close to 24" off the pad to get in the cribbing and to pour in the new concrete.

You would probably be further ahead to excavate slightly around the perimeter, remove the bottom 3 rows of siding, and installing some sort of waterproof membrane and sealer. I would think that doing it that way would save a TON of money and achieve the same goals of keeping water out.
    Siding is vertical so it would have to rip it all off. I will look into this

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Was your water coming from outside or water draining off the cars that's pooling?
    Just pooling from cars. Sorry didn't realize your water was coming from the outside.

My Ride
    65 Chevy C10

Here is a good link to a garage modification done in Calgary. Page 11 shows how he lifted the entire garage. I used a photobucket embed fix in my browser to restore the picture links:
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=283853

I also had problems with water pooling in my garage and last year I decided to fix it. Our garage pad is approx 18-24" below grade and every spring or during a really heavy rainfall water would seep in through the stub wall (cinder block). I dug a trench around the entire garage exposing the foundation and the slab. Next I applied Sopraseal to the exposed cinder blocks and slab. Then I put weeping tile in the bottom of the trench and backfilled with gravel. Even with all of the snow this year we didn't get any water in our garage.

Cool link. Proves what everyone is saying- it's a big job to lift a garage.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Just pooling from cars. Sorry didn't realize your water was coming from the outside.
    All my water is from inside too. Garage isn't heated, but it stays warm enough to melt off the road slush.