Quantcast
Matte/frozen paint scratch repair? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Matte/frozen paint scratch repair?

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Matte/frozen paint scratch repair?

So looks like some lowlife keyed the side of my car the other day when I was watching a movie. The scratches aren't deep by any means (do not catch my fingernails) but they are visible, especially to someone who's OCD like me. On the passenger side door handle there are few swirlies that are thin and white and visible when the paint is dry and in sunlight and there are some that run across the door and fender. I understand matte paint is a pain to do anything so not sure if getting the whole door and fender painted is my only option or if there is a product out there that I could use to hide them.

I was also caught in a winter/rock chip storm on one of the trips from Edmonton to Calgary and the front has a lot of rock chips just from that one trip. Ideally I'd like to address that issue as well if possible. The chips aren't visible unless you're right up close to them as they are not white or any other colour. But up close they are tiny little indents all over. This I was coming to terms with but the keyed scratches on the side are really bothering me and I am wondering what I can do.

Is filing a vandalism claim with the insurance company recommended? I don't want my premium to go up and I don't think they are a huge at all so the appraiser might just laugh but I am sure if I have to get the whole door and fender painted it probably won't be cheap? But if I was going the insurance route I would want something done for the front bumper at the same time too and then maybe ceramic coat the car after. Problem is that it's a lease and I won't keep it over a year in all likelihood, so don't want to end up throwing too much money at it either like I did with my M3 by xpel'ing it all pretty much and selling after 6 months.

Ideas?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That sucks, I have nothing else to add but this is why I would never go frozen/magno paint on a DD.

I don’t think you have a lot of options. Maybe get in contact with a specialty detail shop on what your options are. I doubt anything is going to be inexpensive. Likely far more than a ppf job to fix all that.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-01-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I don’t think you have a lot of options.
    either pay too much to get it fixed or learn to relax and leave it.

People who lease cars shouldn't be investing in them like you do.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Looks like you found a reason to change cars again!
    But yeah, ExtraSlow broke it down for you. Accept it or pay too much to fix it (by repainting or wrapping the car - silly for a lease, but if you're gonna lose sleep over the scratches...)
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wrap the area with scratches with CF vinyl and pretend you have an R8 with carbon blades. Problem solved.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    either pay too much to get it fixed or learn to relax and leave it.

People who lease cars shouldn't be investing in them like you do.

Basically this is where I am at. I just thought I’d see if there are relatively cheap fixes as the scratches are somewhat minor.

I am sure if I was keeping it for the entire lease term then the dealership might care but since I am most likely gonna trade it in next year or something they won’t care in that case.

And for the record, the thought of switching cars now because of this did cross my mind lol but I’ve got to keep this one for at least a year no mater what. Haha.

Just the thought of people being so disrespectful to other people’s property pisses me off so damn much. It’s absolutely pathetic. As a strange and weird coincidence, our brand new Range Rover also has a scratch scraped in in the shape of a ‘R’ at the back by window on the plastic piece. Thankfully not on the paint on that one. Just freaky cause I don’t think these are same people as the cars don’t usually travel in same circles. Just so freaking unbelievably annoying.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 05-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Are you sure its even vandalism? The one time i was keyed, it was blatant and to the metal. If its light, maybe someone was rubbing up against it to squeeze by and the nipple brass things on their jeans scratched it?

Vandalism claims also wont cause your rates to rise as it will be a comprehensive claim.

My Ride
    This and that.

The only reason I think it's vandalism is because it's at a few different spots. I suppose it could be just some retard trying to dry hump the side of my car as well.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I hate people.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    ... the nipple brass things on their jeans ....
    Rivets, those are rivets.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    The only reason I think it's vandalism is because it's at a few different spots. I suppose it could be just some retard trying to dry hump the side of my car as well.
    Sorry about that....
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Not much you can do ..

Even some cars look sick with Matte/Frozen paint, but I won't even consider after so much headache I have seen ..

Either wrap the whole car with matte wrap from the beginning .. (but that is like $5K + job) or as Rage said, wrap it now ...

Summer vehicles such as Av, F12, 650, AMG GTR etc are fine, not going to see rock chips much, and less than 5000km/yr ..
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

How difficult is it to match matte paints? It's a shame because if it's not deep you could possibly polish it out if it was normal paint.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    How difficult is it to match matte paints? It's a shame because if it's not deep you could possibly polish it out if it was normal paint.
    Tough. You also can't spot paint matte paint (at least that was the case 2 years ago). You have to repaint the panel. if it's on a rear 1/4 panel, it's a huge job depending on car. A pillar, roof, etc. If it doesn't match, repaint again till it does.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Unfortunately matte paint cannot be polish, wetsanded or spot fix etc. This is why it may be sometime wise to wrap it.

If the scratches aren't too deep, you can ask a shop to wrap it with clear matte ppf to see if that will hide some of the scratches.

For this I would recommend xpel stealth over Suntek because of its roughness.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post

Vandalism claims also wont cause your rates to rise as it will be a comprehensive claim.
    Not necessarily, some companies give discounts for going a few years without a comprehensive claim that you'd lose if you put a vandalism claim through. They won't raise your rates but they will remove your discount.

It's a lease, just leave it. If it's minor who cares, you give the car back in I assume less than 4 years. "Wear and tear" is a pretty huge margin with most manufacturers. If you are going to buy it out at the end and try to turn a profit, then I would look at fixing it better, but you can make that decision later in case you change your mind.

Most likely your only reasonable option is a wrap anyway due to the paint type, so I'd just remind yourself its a lease and try to forget about it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The problem is he has a scratch that goes across the door and fender. Pretty sure he can’t return the car with that kind of damage so he has to fix it at some point. Then he has to deal with how anal the bmw inspection is for paint matching.

Black cars ftw on leases. Easiest color to match and spot paint haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The problem is he has a scratch that goes across the door and fender. Pretty sure he can’t return the car with that kind of damage so he has to fix it at some point. Then he has to deal with how anal the bmw inspection is for paint matching.

Black cars ftw on leases. Easiest color to match and spot paint haha.
    If they are so minor he can't even get a fingernail in it, do you think the dealer will still ding him for that?

And the rock chips, I don't know what the BMW lease agreement says but mine says this...not sure if it's standard or not:

• Stone chips
    • Up to 15 chips on hood or front bumper
    • Up to 5 chips per panel on other body panels
    • Minor dings or dents to body panels that do not break the paint and fit within the
    measurement on the Wear and Tear Card (max. 3 per panel)
    • Scuffs or light scratches with no paint damage
    • Cleanable road tar

• Scratches or etching that are smaller than the Wear and Tear Card (approximately
    10 cm x 7.5 cm)
    • Small chips < 3.2 mm without cracks (max. 3)

If he can't even get a fingernail in that, I'd argue that's a "light scratch". But maybe BMW are lease return Nazi's haha.

My Ride
    This and that.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. The scratches aren’t a one long stretch. Like a couple of inches on part of the door and then some a little bit down and then some further little bit down. It isn’t continuous. Only visible when the car is dry and under sunlight otherwise can’t really tell. As for when the time comes for returning the lease, like I said if I am turning it in before the period the is up and trading it for something else then I am sure they won’t care much. It’s only if I am returning it at the end of my actual term which is unlikely knowing me. Last car I traded in with a cracked windshield and it wasn’t an issue. So I doubt they would look at it closely or at the rock chips on the bumper for that matter. Thanks for all the comments so far. I’ve been speaking to a local shop and sent them pics and they think covering it under a wrap may be the only option but they want me to bring it in so they can check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast