Quantcast
Cars from Ontario? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cars from Ontario?

Default Cars from Ontario?

Hey guys, are cars from Ontario bad? Everyone I know tells me to avoid cars from there but why? Also why are they so much cheaper?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not all are bad, but on average they are more rusty. Also, I always find it somewhat suspicious that in a highly populated area like that, they can't find a local buyer. Makes me assume something is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Depends on the age, and how the car was treated (stored in the winter or not). If it was a winter driven car, it won't have the chips we get, but it will have a head start on rust. Some areas are worse than others, but the humidity and salt there makes things rust so much faster. Not uncommon to see a 10 year old car that's got holes in the floor and body. Also, the anti rust oil spray makes an absolute mess.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Unless it's something that's totally unavailable here, like a collector car, I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to buy from that far away. I'd rather buy from Arizona or something first, and phoenix is a full days' drive closer than Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

They really fucking love their salt over there, but don't seem to ever use any gravel at all. Was quite surprised at how much salt there was everywhere when I lived in Toronto recently. Plus it is more humid there with all those lakes, I would imagine that doesn't help things as well?
    I'd take rock chips any day over corrosion from all that road salt.

My Ride

Last edited by Abeo; 12-30-2021 at 10:16 AM.

What do you guys think of this car? Its from Ontario. We just bought an RX350 and now my father in law wants one and wants me to go check this one out..

http://www.villagehonda.com/en/used/...t-awd/9804219/

Carproof

https://reports.carproof.com/main?id...nNKhz0B72wk4v6

My Ride

First glance, I wonder if it's a lease or rental

this may help: https://www.apps.rus.mto.gov.on.ca/j...torySearch.jsp
    Not sure how useful the form will be. 10+ years ago, you used to get a full form of the owners names of the vehicle, and dates it was registered.
    Last edited by Abeo; 05-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
    First glance, I wonder if it's a lease or rental

this may help: https://www.apps.rus.mto.gov.on.ca/j...torySearch.jsp
    Not sure how useful the form will be. 10+ years ago, you used to get a full form of the owners names of the vehicle, and dates it was registered.
    Thanks for the link.. The car doesn't show up for some reason lol

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

some people will garage keep their cars
    With the temps most people garages are kept at, or underground condo parking (in Ontario, something that is a lot more likely), the heat and moisture build in the enclosed space actually accelerates rust unless they are washing their cars constantly.

I've never in my life seen a slightly rusty car rust so fast as to when it is stored in heated underground parking.

People are understating how bad the rust situation. It's bad. Like, domestics less than 3 years old with rust holes in them bad. I'd rather chipped paint then rust.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    With the temps most people garages are kept at, or underground condo parking (in Ontario, something that is a lot more likely), the heat and moisture build in the enclosed space actually accelerates rust unless they are washing their cars constantly.

I've never in my life seen a slightly rusty car rust so fast as to when it is stored in heated underground parking.

People are understating how bad the rust situation. It's bad. Like, domestics less than 3 years old with rust holes in them bad. I'd rather chipped paint then rust.
    From actual experience, cars that aren't driven in the winter and stored don't rust like you are stating. Once the car has been winter driven, then garage kept, yeah.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

In general, yes, don't buy Ontario car, but it really depends, if it is a 1 or 2 year old car, under 20,000km probably fine ... Couple year ago, our dealership brought 20 or so lease return vehicles from Ontario,(only 3 year old cars) but we don't do that anymore.... yes, after shipping, out of province inspection etc etc, still cheaper than local cars, and Ontario cars look alright ..(outside) but once lifted them up and checked.... No thx! not just rust problem, but many linkages were ceased, hardly even perform alignment.. (and the resale value will be lower too)

If you found a used car locally you really want to buy, and it is from Ontario/east, check/view underneath if possible ...

Local Calgary vehicles may have bad windshield, rock chips, but easy fix!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

Unless you are looking for an incredibly rare vehicle you can't find anywhere else after months of searching, I would never even consider anything from out East. It's easy enough to find a car locally or in BC/Sask that won't be a rust bucket in 5 years.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
    They really fucking love their salt over there, but don't seem to ever use any gravel at all. Was quite surprised at how much salt there was everywhere when I lived in Toronto recently. Plus it is more humid there with all those lakes, I would imagine that doesn't help things as well?
    I'd take rock chips any day over corrosion from all that road salt.
    Calgary is starting to use a lot of salt nowadays as our cars used to get peppered with gravel during winter but now our cars get peppered with gravel as well as plenty of salt. Still at least it's not nearly as humid here but I would hate to park a nice winter driven car in a headed garage in Calgary considering all the salt the city is now using.
    Last edited by heavyD; 05-03-2018 at 12:11 PM.

My brother picked up a Range Rover Autobiography for a solid $10k under market value. It was from a dealer, so it was easy to ensure the he got full detailed photos before completing the sale. Pretty painless to be honest. Just had to wait a week for it to arrive.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

From actual experience, cars that aren't driven in the winter and stored don't rust like you are stating. Once the car has been winter driven, then garage kept, yeah.
    I missed the "and never winter drive them". Seems redundant, of course a car won't rust much if at all if not winter driven, regardless of storage inside or out.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I bought my S class from Ontario many year ago .. not "happy ending" ... lol from a dealer too, may be $4 or 5K less than Calgary, but when I sold it couple year late, also 2~3K less .. so with the extra ~$2K shipping/out of province inspection etc ... not smart!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Have a 2010 vehicle originally from Ontario. Purchased with 46,000 km in 2012, it now has 286,000 km...no rust anywhere, top or underneath.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Have a 2010 vehicle originally from Ontario. Purchased with 46,000 km in 2012, it now has 286,000 km...no rust anywhere, top or underneath.
    There are always exception to the rule.

I have seen a Honda Accord that's about $2K cheaper than market and the radiator is hanging on by a thread and engine bay looks brutal while the body looks clean.

Any Mazda, don't even bother.