Quantcast
Job hunting for graduates - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Job hunting for graduates

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sleazy is probably the wrong word but I just feel like you should at least get yourself in the door before asking people to vouch for you. You should have to do at least SOME of the work yourself, IMHO. If they already have your resume and you have already got yourself an interview on your own merit, sure, get your friend who works there to vouch and highlight your skills. If you want that friend to blindly bring your resume forward for a position that isn't even posted or something, that is the sort of thing that is awkward for everyone IMO.
    I couldn't disagree more.

When I got laid off in December I had people reaching out to me hooking me up with people at other companies I didn't know but who couldn't be happier to pass along my resume and put in a good word for me. I had friends calling me and demanding my resume to put in at their companies, even without postings. If you have a great network - and people like you and you are good at your job they are more than happy to help you out.

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sleazy is probably the wrong word but I just feel like you should at least get yourself in the door before asking people to vouch for you. You should have to do at least SOME of the work yourself, IMHO. If they already have your resume and you have already got yourself an interview on your own merit, sure, get your friend who works there to vouch and highlight your skills. If you want that friend to blindly bring your resume forward for a position that isn't even posted or something, that is the sort of thing that is awkward for everyone IMO.
    passing along your info is wasting time. especially if they can't sell your skills like you can, you might get nothing. it's way better to get an introduction via e-mail, possibly set up a phone or coffee mtg and you have more control to bring him your skills, rather sitting on your hands for someone to do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    passing along your info is wasting time. especially if they can't sell your skills like you can, you might get nothing. it's way better to get an introduction via e-mail, possibly set up a phone or coffee mtg and you have more control to bring him your skills, rather sitting on your hands for someone to do the work for you.
    Yup, that's another good reason. They need to be part of the process at least somehow, otherwise IMO there is a chance it could reflect poorly on the both of you. At least for me, it would make me very uncomfortable to walk around with a stack of resumes and bring them to the managers of departments who don't even have a position posted and get them to try create a position for my friend. To me, that's like cold-call marketing. There has to be at least some connection created by the person who wants the job first, then it's a lot easier to carry the torch. Also, IMO, if that person can't even be bothered to contact these people themselves for an introduction before a resume is delivered by an existing employee, I would wonder how badly they want the job.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3