Quantcast
~6.5 Weeks in Japan - Itinerary Help Pls! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ~6.5 Weeks in Japan - Itinerary Help Pls!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default ~6.5 Weeks in Japan - Itinerary Help Pls!

My girlfriend and I landed in Tokyo a few days ago and don't fly out until July 1st.

We haven't bought a rail pass or come up with any sort of plan yet so I'd love some assistance (I've seen posts by a lot of members very knowledgeable about Japan here so a few minutes of your time will save me hours of research!)

We've got lots planned for Tokyo this week a sumo tournament today, Giants baseball tomorrow, and the Sanja Matsuri festival over the weekend as well as lots of trip planning!

We love the outdoors and nature so we're trying to make the Japanese Alps and Hokkaido a big part of our trip plans.

~2 weeks Japanese Alps. We've read good things about Toyama, Omachi, Hida, Takayama, Azumino, Matsumoto, Shiojiri, and Kamikochi. Any recommendations for affordable places to stay or great hikes in those areas? As part of our time in the Alps we'd like to do the Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket (9,000 Yen) I think.

~1 week Alps to Hiroshima > Miyojima > Naoshima > Kyoto

~1 week Kyoto and surround (Osaka, Nara, Koyasan, Yamazaki Distillery)

~2 weeks Hokkaido (fly Osaka or Kyoto to Sapporo and then perhaps Hokkaido Rail Pass?)

Hokkaido to Tokyo and depart.

So far our biggest challenge is planning how to best plan transportation as it does not seem like the JR Pass necessarily makes sense given how slowly we're traveling. Perhaps a combination of a couple regional passes will serve us better?

Any recommendations for cheap places to stay in the Alps with good access to hiking? Unfortunately, we won't be able to rent a car as I had to give up my license with my Canadian residency and my girlfriend is not comfortable driving in the mountains.

Any other suggestions or recommendations for our general itinerary?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

You have to buy a rail pass ahead of time, can't really buy it while in Japan, unless you have it shipped there. It isn't something that's sold locally. It's also restricted to foreigners, or Japanese citizens with PR elsewhere.

I have been all over Japan and go every few years as my wife is JDM, but for the most part, she plans everything and I go along, so most of the time I don't even know where we are on the map outside of the big cities.

Regarding driving in Japan, your limited to like 50km/h almost everywhere outside of a highways, which are mostly all Toll roads and $$$. Nothing to be afraid of there. Not sure about your license situation, are you originally Japanese? All you need is a Canadian license and an international driving permit, although many companies won't rent to foreigners, just have to look around. This is also something you should have arranged before going there.

From the places you listed I have been to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Koyasan and Tokyo, among many others. I won't be really able to tell you any details that you are looking for in terms of places to stay or hiking, but if you have any other questions about these places I might be able to help.

We haven't been to Hokkaido so have nothing to say about there yet.

Koyasan is awesome, stay in a temple, its like a Ryokan and you can attend their morning prayer service.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Thanks eblend. FYI - railpasses are now sold in Japan, they just cost a bit more. For some passes, you can also purchase them online at the discounted rate and have them mailed to your hotel in Japan for exchange.

As stated, I had to give up my license with my Canadian residency (tax reasons). Do you have any recommendations for places to stay or things to do in Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, or Nara that aren't on the typical tourist track?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

davidI - glad to see you made it to Japan. Been awhile since we've chatted. Anyways, rather than the train, perhaps you should consider flying from city to city. ANA "Experience Japan" airfares are crazy cheap https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/promotio...experience_jp/ It'll afford you some time to go down to Okinawa as well as up to Hokkaido as well. I believe I flew from Sapporo to Naha for a little over $100 Canadian one-way. Much cheaper than the cost of rail (time & money perspective).

Amanohashidate. Great view, must take the obligatory photo from upside down.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by JDMMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    davidI - glad to see you made it to Japan. Been awhile since we've chatted. Anyways, rather than the train, perhaps you should consider flying from city to city. ANA "Experience Japan" airfares are crazy cheap https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/promotio...experience_jp/ It'll afford you some time to go down to Okinawa as well as up to Hokkaido as well. I believe I flew from Sapporo to Naha for a little over $100 Canadian one-way. Much cheaper than the cost of rail (time & money perspective).
    Thanks for the tip! I think we'll fly from Osaka to Sapporo and then maybe from Sapporo to Tokyo. It seems Peach and Jetstar also have some cheap options so it's certainly something worth considering for the longer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by SQ2 View Post
    Amanohashidate. Great view, must take the obligatory photo from upside down.
    Tell me more about this place - I've Googled it and didn't see much. Haven't seen any of these upside down photos you're talking about either - is it just a sand bar?

Trip update is we're in Shin Shimashima now and had planned to go to Kamikochi today but the forecast is for solid rain all day so we're pushing that plan until tomorrow. There's a 4-Day Shinshu/Hida Alps Wide-Free Passport for Y12,000 so we're going to try and take advantage of it to see Kamikochi, Norikura, Shin-Hotaka Ropeway, and Shirakawa-go before staying in Takayama for a few nights.

Then we plan to buy the 5-Day JR pass from Takayama and travel more of the Alps, including the Alpine Route from Shinano Omachi to Toyama before heading south: http://touristpass.jp/en/alpine/

Just posting this for information for others - I'll add more about the experience after it has happened.

Plan after Toyama is to head down towards Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, etc. Does anyone have recommendations for that area (places to stay, eat, drink, etc.) I'd love to hear them!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Have fun in Japan! Loved my time there as always

Amanohashidate roughly translates to “bridge to heaven” you ride a chair lift up to the viewpoint, face away from the sandbar, then bend over and look at it through your legs to see the bridge. Just something a bit different to do there. It’s been over 10 years since I was there, but there was a good restaurant (can’t remember if at top or bottom of hill)where you picked the seafood you wanted from their tanks, and they’d come over to your table and stick it still alive onto your table grill.

http://www.amanohashidate.jp/lang/en...asamatsu-park/

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Thanks eblend. FYI - railpasses are now sold in Japan, they just cost a bit more. For some passes, you can also purchase them online at the discounted rate and have them mailed to your hotel in Japan for exchange.

As stated, I had to give up my license with my Canadian residency (tax reasons). Do you have any recommendations for places to stay or things to do in Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, or Nara that aren't on the typical tourist track?
    Interesting, i will have to look into the JR thing, I mean buying online and shipping there is always an option, didn't know you could buy them locally at all any other way.

Regarding where to stay, I don't really got much for you. In Hiroshima I stayed at a Days Inn right close to the peace park, was cheap and walking distance to the main attraction of the city, get there via a tram from the train station. Kyoto I have always stayed close to the train station as well, there is a hotel very close to it, and there is a also a hostel a block or so down, from there can get anywhere you want by renting a bike, or you can walk. Osaka....believe it or not, a Love Hotel, show up after 9 and you will get a nightly rate, cheapest price for the most amount of room in Japan, maybe enjoy yourself while there *wink wink*. I have been to Osaka many times, but usually just day trips out of Kobe, since Kobe is where I got in-laws so we usually stay there. Nara I also never stayed overnight so got no recommendations.

Don't know what tax reasons have you give up your drivers licence but whatever, my wife is JDM and she has a Canadian and Japanese drivers license at the same time, every 2nd time we go she renews her Japanese one.

And unless you are going very long distances, like flying to Okinawa (recommend), I would never fly in Japan. Spend 2-3 hours in the airport + flight time...no thanks.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

With Kyoto and Osaka under water, and Hokkaido in ruins, I'm not sure what left to see when I go next month.

Man, the amount of cash I have carry is insane. So used to CC live style. That fun2drive @ Hakone takes cash only too, that's over 100,000 yen.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    With Kyoto and Osaka under water, and Hokkaido in ruins, I'm not sure what left to see when I go next month.

Man, the amount of cash I have carry is insane. So used to CC live style. That fun2drive @ Hakone takes cash only too, that's over 100,000 yen.
    I think you'll be surprised at how quickly Japan gets back to normal after a storm or earthquake, as they're really an annual thing. Maybe I'm just thinking wishfully as we fly out in less than two weeks, haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    I think you'll be surprised at how quickly Japan gets back to normal after a storm or earthquake, as they're really an annual thing. Maybe I'm just thinking wishfully as we fly out in less than two weeks, haha.
    My cousin is stuck in Osaka right now. All HK tourist are be route thru Nagoya if they want out this week. Otherwise, earliest flight out of Osaka is next Tuesday and NRT is jammed.

While it's an annual thing but this year is especially hard with biggest typhoon in 25 years, heat wave, and now earthquake in the north and another down nuclear plant. Definitely an odd year.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah, Osaka specifically is a shitshow due to the airport flooding and bridge damage. Kyoto is probably fine if you're accessing by train from another location.

https://jprail.com/train-operation-status

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Did you take out yen at the airport? I am leaving next week and need have about the same amount of yen for fun2drive too.

What car did you choose?? I was tempted to switch to the new NSX.. but couldnt justify double the cost of the R35

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    Did you take out yen at the airport? I am leaving next week and need have about the same amount of yen for fun2drive too.

What car did you choose?? I was tempted to switch to the new NSX.. but couldnt justify double the cost of the R35
    I have 250,000 yen with me exchanged here and if I blew that all in week 1, I am hoping 7-11 ATMs will bail me out. I rather pay the fees than carry that much cash on me.

I booked NC1 and Gallardo for Comparative drive and then Hakone drive with R35 the rest of the day. The drive is in the middle of my 2 week trip.

Yeah, the NC1 for Hakone Drive is uber expensive. 30min is enough, just want to know what its like. I don't have the balls to roll gears with RHD in unfamiliar settings. So AT choices are limited to these 3. Otherwise, I won't mind switching Gallardo out to something that I have not driven before.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-06-2018 at 02:06 PM.

We didn't do any major cash-only activities like driving exotics, but almost everything we did we were able to use our CC (every restaurant, admissions, souvenirs, etc.) I think I took $700-$800 CAD worth of Yen in cash for 15 days and I did not spend it all. The only places I remember needing cash were street markets and loading up our PASMO.

My Ride
    VAG products

Awesome. I can't wait - I am doing Ultimate Hakone with the R35. The comparative sounds sweet. I am thinking I will just exchange CAD there too..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    We didn't do any major cash-only activities like driving exotics, but almost everything we did we were able to use our CC (every restaurant, admissions, souvenirs, etc.) I think I took $700-$800 CAD worth of Yen in cash for 15 days and I did not spend it all. The only places I remember needing cash were street markets and loading up our PASMO.
    https://matcha-jp.com/en/5919

Also I'm traveling with my buddy and Japanese wife. They are not doing any exotic driving stuff and they are not leaving Tokyo, they are bring 100,000 yen. So 250,000 yen should cover my 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Anyone climb Mount Fuji?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast