Quantcast
Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looked at canadian tire and home depot, and I am doing some research on this one now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2...000858337.html

not a big fan of Ryobi, but has a 5 year warranty... Anyone familiar with these? It seems pretty light weight, and Baygirl seems to be able to move it ok.
    I have other Ryobi lawn tools and they work great for what i paid.

I am guessing a lot of people probably don't have the desire to take proper care of lithium batteries (or don't understand how), and replacements are over $600. Leave it in the garage over winter or at 0% charge for too long, something like that, and it's useless. You only need to forget once. Something to consider anyway.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's actually incredibly easy to replace the batteries guts for quite a bit cheaper. Most battery packs are just made of a series of smaller batteries inside. I've saved hundreds replacing the 18650's in my Milwaukee tools. But if you're the type to be able to do this, you probably won't kill it to begin with.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I am guessing a lot of people probably don't have the desire to take proper care of lithium batteries (or don't understand how), and replacements are over $600. Leave it in the garage over winter or at 0% charge for too long, something like that, and it's useless. You only need to forget once. Something to consider anyway.
    i have a ton of ryobi 18v batteries for various cordless tools, i just toss em on the charger whenever i am done with them, but its not "proper" maintenance, but its easy and will not be a significant lifespan difference... letting them die and freeze is definitely a lot worse... I just wish ryobi would make more of their tools run off multiple 18v batteries, 2x18 is 36v, practically the same as the 40v, and i wouldnt have to invest in a whole new battery system

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    It's actually incredibly easy to replace the batteries guts for quite a bit cheaper. Most battery packs are just made of a series of smaller batteries inside. I've saved hundreds replacing the 18650's in my Milwaukee tools. But if you're the type to be able to do this, you probably won't kill it to begin with.
    i wish i could find empty battery cases, maybe with the controller board in them, and build my own packs, it'd be wayyy cheaper, as it is the only time i replace my battery pack from the store is when the case falls apart... and even then i try to buy dead batts from ebay just for the cas and controller, swap in fresh cells and we're as good as new.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    i have a ton of ryobi 18v batteries for various cordless tools, i just toss em on the charger whenever i am done with them, but its not "proper" maintenance, but its easy and will not be a significant lifespan difference... letting them die and freeze is definitely a lot worse... I just wish ryobi would make more of their tools run off multiple 18v batteries, 2x18 is 36v, practically the same as the 40v, and i wouldnt have to invest in a whole new battery system
    For drills and other small power tools, I would assume most people don't typically use all of the battery in one continuous usage period. They pull them out for a few minutes or an hour and aren't using them constantly. Or you pull out the impact gun to swap your winter/summer wheels and use it for maybe 1-2 minutes total. Contractor use I'm sure is much more consistent, but for the average Joe with power tools, usage is sporadic. If the battery life degrades, they probably will never know even if they lose 50% capacity because they don't have to rely on a long continuous usage period. But with a lawn mower, a damaged battery could easily be the difference between being able to finish mowing the lawn or not as the charge is consumed continuously during use and you are probably using most or all of the charge every time.

I am just going by how I see most people treat virtually every type of lithium battery, and most people definitely do not pay attention to things like temperature or long term storage, and instead abuse them by leaving them on the charger all the time, running them to zero, etc. For some things though that is fine, especially if you know it will have a limited lifespan (i.e. a phone you replace every year anyway) but for others it can be expensive to neglect them.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This is the first time CR has recommended electric lawn mowers apparently.

Attachment 82112
    CR is a joke. You'd get more useful and reliable information from a piece of used toilet paper.

+1 for gas. I have a Cub Cadet self propelled mower going on 10 years old now. Starting it in the spring for the first time is a bit of work, but after that it's wonderful. Haven't even changed the oil on it yet haha.

I also have a Hitachi gas trimmer, and it's great. I'm sure my neighbors hate when I use it, cause it's almost as loud as a chainsaw, but w/e. It probably takes me under 30 mins to do the front/back yard so it's not like I disturb the peace for that long.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to spend a bit more, my dad has a Honda 4-stroke trimmer that's very quiet and still powerful. He also has a self propelled gas mower with electric start. Same thing, very reliable and quiet. That being said, it was probably close to $3k for that combo.
    Last edited by bjstare; 05-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Gee the self-propelled did the best in their ratings.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

+1 for Gas
    Get something with an electric start and self propelled

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000541867.html

No oil changes either, what more can you ask for?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

LS swap the current one. Fin.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    If I had a large sized lawn, Id definitely consider that.

A roomba for grass.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    A roomba for grass.
    A Lawnba.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    For drills and other small power tools, I would assume most people don't typically use all of the battery in one continuous usage period. They pull them out for a few minutes or an hour and aren't using them constantly. Or you pull out the impact gun to swap your winter/summer wheels and use it for maybe 1-2 minutes total. Contractor use I'm sure is much more consistent, but for the average Joe with power tools, usage is sporadic. If the battery life degrades, they probably will never know even if they lose 50% capacity because they don't have to rely on a long continuous usage period. But with a lawn mower, a damaged battery could easily be the difference between being able to finish mowing the lawn or not as the charge is consumed continuously during use and you are probably using most or all of the charge every time.

I am just going by how I see most people treat virtually every type of lithium battery, and most people definitely do not pay attention to things like temperature or long term storage, and instead abuse them by leaving them on the charger all the time, running them to zero, etc. For some things though that is fine, especially if you know it will have a limited lifespan (i.e. a phone you replace every year anyway) but for others it can be expensive to neglect them.
    nah, the fancy control boards and intelligent chargers take out all the guesswork now, they kill it before it discharges too low, and they prevnt overcharging by stopping at the top end., i know LiPo and LiFe do, but i dont think 18650's Li-on suffers from storage requirements like partial charge, its actually more beneficial and important to store Lions in a cold temperature (in the fridge or freezer) than it is to keep them at 40% charge.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Last year I went with a Husqvarna LC121P from EJ Mowers. Apparently what they sell to many landscapers. Sat outside all winter (covered) and started up 2nd pull. Very happy 1 season in!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    nah, the fancy control boards and intelligent chargers take out all the guesswork now, they kill it before it discharges too low, and they prevnt overcharging by stopping at the top end., i know LiPo and LiFe do, but i dont think 18650's Li-on suffers from storage requirements like partial charge, its actually more beneficial and important to store Lions in a cold temperature (in the fridge or freezer) than it is to keep them at 40% charge.
    The technology doesn't protect it that well, it just makes it slightly harder for careless people to wreck them. The overcharge protection for example typically works by letting it naturally discharge to 95%, then charging back up to 100%, turning off, letting it naturally drop to 95%, then charge back up to 100%, etc. That's how it works with cellphones too and it is not good for lithium batteries for extended periods of time (especially many months in the case of a tool or yard appliance). Heat is the enemy of lithium batteries (as is cold during use). The technology also can only protect against a 0% situation while in use, but over time there is no protection against that as the batteries will eventually self discharge to 0% which is very bad. Leave it out in the garage for a winter by accident, and you are probably buying a new $600 battery in the spring.

It depends on the specific battery, but ideal storage is usually done with a charge of 30-60% or so, and a periodic charge cycle every 1-3 months (settling back at 30-60%) if you aren't going to be using it for a long time.

Even drone batteries, which are some of the 'smartest' such that they can even self-discharge to 60% and enter hibernation mode, can easily be wrecked if not maintained. Your average homeowner with some fancy LiOn tools is probably not doing anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    $1500? lol

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    $1500? lol
    if that was in the budget, and I wasn't worried about someone stealing it, I would get it just so I never had to mow the lawn again. LOL Really, it is not much more than other recommendations and you don't have to mow...worth it to me!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Actual pic of spikerS

Name:  Carl_Steven.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  yzzkZDkpMS3l.gif
Views: 423
Size:  1.93 MB

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Actual pic of spikerS

Name:  Carl_Steven.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  yzzkZDkpMS3l.gif
Views: 423
Size:  1.93 MB
    LOL, thought about that, but to rig up the lawnmower to do that would cost more than a replacement mower. would be cool, but with all the SJWs in my neighbourhood, I would cut one stripe before someone comes yelling at me to think of the children.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    if that was in the budget, and I wasn't worried about someone stealing it, I would get it just so I never had to mow the lawn again. LOL Really, it is not much more than other recommendations and you don't have to mow...worth it to me!
    Yeah I would be nervous about it running while I'm not home and someone taking off with it.

Summer project for you, build your own RC mower
    ---

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    When you get a new mower if you want I’ll come and take that old one away for you.
    If you want you can have mine. It works perfectly fine except the height adjuster from time to time will slip.
    I just don't have time to cut the grass anymore and ended up hiring someone to do that this year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast