Quantcast
Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I forgot to add that I love the big blue cloud of smoke that I get when I start that old 2 stroke Lawnboy up. It makes my enviro-peta loving-neighbourhood cop soccer mom neighbour almost have an aneurysm.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, thought about that, but to rig up the lawnmower to do that would cost more than a replacement mower. would be cool, but with all the SJWs in my neighbourhood, I would cut one stripe before someone comes yelling at me to think of the children.
    The children will be fine if they just get off your damn lawn. lol

My Ride
    Bicycle

Second season with 40V Kobalt for Lowes.

It's a bit on the weak side if grass get a bit tall. And the 4Ah battery provide more power than the 2Ah one.

But overall, no exhaust and quieter operation has been great.

I think 56V or 80V systems out there would match gas power mowers. 40V is ok if you have a 3000sqft yard or smaller as long as you have 6-8Ah worth of battery charged up.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-24-2018 at 03:40 PM.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

spikerS - Have you taken a look at perhaps diagnosing the problem with your current mower? I just did some quick R&R work on my parent's mower which hadn't been working in 4 years and brought it back to life with about $15 of parts and an hour's time (took most of that time to siphon the old fuel and waiting for any remaining fuel to drain from the carb bowl). All it needed was a good carb cleaning, cleaned up the old spark plugs, threw in some left over synthetic oil and new air filter and it sprung back into life after refueling.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Picked up this one last week and got to try it out on the weekend:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gr...1702p.html#srp

We have a 0.2 acre lot with somewhere around 3500 square feet of grass. I didn't find it to struggle in terms of power, it's relatively lightweight and easy to push with the 8" front and 10" rear wheels, and the battery life is very good. It needed both batteries to do the entire job front and back. I did the front (about 1500 square feet) and still had somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of life remaining on the first battery (it has 3 LED's to indicate the charge level and 2 were still lit up), then got about 1/3 of the back done before having to change to the second battery. This time out I just used the rear bag to collect the clippings (had to empty it 3 or 4 times) but next time I'll probably try out the mulching feature and see how it does.

I'm used to electric as we've been using an older corded mower that refuses to die, so I like that they're quieter and that I don't have to keep fuel on hand all summer. This one's a 21" cut vs. the 18" we had before and now I don't have to constantly adjust the cord or move to a different outlet in order to reach every spot so I'm happy.

My Ride
    Silverado

Bump! I need lawn maintenance equipment. What should I get? The 80v green works bundle from Costco? Any see it in store? $700 for the 21" mower and trimmer and two batteries.

Any other suggestions?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If you dont mind the trip to the border, you can get it for far less through the states. I've got the Greenworks, 80v Mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, snow blower and 2x 4 amp hour batteries for $1100 cad all in. Mind you I watched for sales, and collected them all in one trip.

My only complaint about the mower is the single handle height adjustment makes the nose extra long, so I can't get as close to trees and bushes like I used to be able to.

My Ride
    is broken

Going to be the odd ball and suggest a Reel mower. No gas, no batteries, low noise, just man and machine. Had the same one for 10 years now.
    Only real maintenance is getting the blade sharpened every couple of year. Yes it does require a bit of effort to push but I enjoy it.

My Ride
    V167

Just bought a Honda Powered Husqvarna mower, All wheel drive. Thing is a beast. Would recommend.

Now I need a gas trimmer.

Any solid options to consider? Looking to buy ASAP.

Also need a leaf blower to clean up the mess.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

I'm too cheap right now to get the EGO Trimmer Anyone got one? They have pretty solid reviews.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If you dont mind the trip to the border, you can get it for far less through the states. I've got the Greenworks, 80v Mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, snow blower and 2x 4 amp hour batteries for $1100 cad all in. Mind you I watched for sales, and collected them all in one trip.

My only complaint about the mower is the single handle height adjustment makes the nose extra long, so I can't get as close to trees and bushes like I used to be able to.
    Great thanks. I didn't know they made a snow blower. Sweet!

I'm thinking electric do to how easy it is.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Just bought a Honda Powered Husqvarna mower, All wheel drive. Thing is a beast. Would recommend.

Now I need a gas trimmer.

Any solid options to consider? Looking to buy ASAP.

Also need a leaf blower to clean up the mess.
    Depends what the budget is. My dad's got a 4 stroke honda trimmer that's awesome, nice and quiet, easy starts etc. I think it was ~$800 though.

I got a Hitachi trimmer from Costco a couple years back. It's 2 stroke, loud, but very reliable. Starts on like the third pull even after sitting all winter, and I think was <$300.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Great thanks. I didn't know they made a snow blower. Sweet!

I'm thinking electric do to how easy it is.
    The snowblower is just "ok" it doesn't have scrapers on the impeller, so doesn't clear the snow right down to the cement, and doesn't throw wet snow very far, but still beats shovelling. The impeller is only $10 though to replace, so Im thinking of bolting on some 1/2" brush strips and seeing if that works.

I need to buy a lawn mower this spring. New house has a sloped back yard so I would prefer a self propelled one. Any suggestions on that front?

My Ride
    Bicycle

The snowblower is just "ok" it doesn't have scrapers on the impeller, so doesn't clear the snow right down to the cement, and doesn't throw wet snow very far, but still beats shovelling. The impeller is only $10 though to replace, so Im thinking of bolting on some 1/2" brush strips and seeing if that works.
    I have an electric one, even more gutless since it's a 40v, unless it's a huge dump, it's a "finisher". Move them to a pile let it go to town to stack them up, so no more lifting with my back which is nice.

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Depends what the budget is. My dad's got a 4 stroke honda trimmer that's awesome, nice and quiet, easy starts etc. I think it was ~$800 though.

I got a Hitachi trimmer from Costco a couple years back. It's 2 stroke, loud, but very reliable. Starts on like the third pull even after sitting all winter, and I think was <$300.
    I think budget would be $300 max. $800 on a trimmer is too baller for me.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    I think budget would be $300 max. $800 on a trimmer is too baller for me.
    Ya, same.

I'd recommend checking Costco, maybe they still have the one I got (or a variation thereof). I got it online, even shipped for free.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Bump! I need lawn maintenance equipment. What should I get? The 80v green works bundle from Costco? Any see it in store? $700 for the 21" mower and trimmer and two batteries.

Any other suggestions?
    i'm in the market too, didn't think of checking costco. Looks like they have a mower only (self propelled) vs the bundle which comes with a non-self propelled, both for 699.99.

eventually i'd like to get a hedge trimmer/snow blower/leaf blower so want to get into a good ecosystem from the start.

Does anyone have any honest reviews on Greenworks? Also looking at Ego but they seem a bit more expensive.

EDIT: i guess the mower only comes with a single 5Ah where the bundle comes with 2x 2Ah batteries. kinda leaning towards the bigger battery one now to avoid potentially having to swap batteries in the middle of the mow.
    Last edited by sabad66; 04-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.

which stores did you look at/were watching sales? if i could get all that for $1100 CAD i'd be willing to make a drive to Montana for sure.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    which stores did you look at/were watching sales? if i could get all that for $1100 CAD i'd be willing to make a drive to Montana for sure.
    Amazon and US Lowes. I can't remember which came from where though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast