Quantcast
Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now?

My Ride
    German

Just tried out the Costco Greenworks 80V mower and weed wacker this afternoon. I was worried about the battery life as we have a relatively sizable lot but I was able to manage mowing the front and back yard with 1 full charge on the first battery and 1/2 charge on the second battery. I used the remaining battery life on the second battery to go around with the weed wacker. I let the first battery cool a bit before charging but I don't think it's necessary to rush the charging next time as there is plenty of life to finish the job, for now. Hopefully the battery life doesn't deteriorate too much over the years. The mower did very well through short and long grass. I wasn't convinced the bag was big enough but it's a good size and very easy to maneuver. I especially liked the light weight feel of both the mower and weed wacker. Instant start is nice as well. The mower folds up nicely for storage and the weed wacker can hang on the wall. Overall a very good purchase. I'm glad I decided to retire the gas counterparts to try electric.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you want longevity, don't let batteries run out. Get them out of service when they hit 20-25% left.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

For the record I have the 5AH batteries for the greenworks 82V and I havent even come close to emptying it. Though I do have a generally small yard.

I actually have 3 of these 5AH batteries, a few just sitting here. They look pretty much identical but the branding. I'm trying to figure out if they are the same or compatible with the 80V so that I can sell one or two for cheap.
    Last edited by OTown; 05-19-2019 at 10:45 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Lovely!

I am checking the costco web site too, so you guys are talking about the $599 Greenwork pro? One is self-propelled just the Mower, one is 3 in 1, Mower plus trimmer, and look like extra battery, so which one is better? Need self-propelled? (My gas Mower is Self-propelled)

Thx!
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    German

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lovely!

I am checking the costco web site too, so you guys are talking about the $599 Greenwork pro? One is self-propelled just the Mower, one is 3 in 1, Mower plus trimmer, and look like extra battery, so which one is better? Need self-propelled? (My gas Mower is Self-propelled)

Thx!
    I went with the 3 in 1 combo. Our old gas mower was self propelled too and I didn't know how well the Greenworks would fare at first as we also have some hills to go over. Fortunately the Greenworks is much lighter than our gas mower so that helped tremendously. I don't feel anything in my lower back this morning so it probably wasn't all that much extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Lovely!

Thx!
    I’ve got the green works self propelled. I’d save your money or get something else if the self propelled is that important to you. It’s not very good on the green works mower. It’s a great mower though. Just the self propelled portion is t very good.

My Ride
    Silverado

Timely bump. The combo is on sale at Costco so I just did a piece match to save $100.

Thanks.

seems to be out of stock currently, and price listed at $699.99. Where are you guys getting these? Need a new lawnmower

Thanks

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Got my Greenworks from Costco yesterday for the sale price. Had a 10 year old gas mower until now. Very happy with the results, super quiet, cut extremely well and was surprisingly light and maneuverable. Trimmer with the package was a bonus and did a great job of trimming and edging my sidewalk. would highly recommend and would have probably still purchased if not on sale, after using it.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

They are gone from Costco website, how did you get it?

Thx
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

It was on sale on the May Long weekend. Ya looks like the mower is unavailable.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Necrobump!

Looking for a new lawn mower myself, bought an electric (plug in) greenworks 14" mower in late July of last year. Only used it 6-7 times before the grass stopped growing, and I pulled it out last week to clean up the yard, and it wont start, what a piece. Warranty was only 90 days via Rona, so it's gonna cost me more to ship it than a new ones worth.

Scrapping the whole thing and looking at a small 12-16" gas mower, our yards tiny, probably 30x20 feet in the front and two strips half that size in the back around the deck.

Any suggestions on a gas mower that's going to be easy to start, maintain and wont cost me $1000?

My Ride
    is broken

IMO push mowers are still the best bang for buck on small lawns. I bought the lee valley one 10 years ago and its still going strong. no maintenance, quiet, nobody going to steal it.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I bought a Toro Recycler with a B&S engine a few years ago at Home Depot.
    Just couldn't bring my self to get a battery one, LiIon batteries seem better lately, but still expensive if they die.
    It's been good. Easy to start, mulches fairly well. No complaints

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Necrobump!

Looking for a new lawn mower myself, bought an electric (plug in) greenworks 14" mower in late July of last year. Only used it 6-7 times before the grass stopped growing, and I pulled it out last week to clean up the yard, and it wont start, what a piece. Warranty was only 90 days via Rona, so it's gonna cost me more to ship it than a new ones worth.

Scrapping the whole thing and looking at a small 12-16" gas mower, our yards tiny, probably 30x20 feet in the front and two strips half that size in the back around the deck.

Any suggestions on a gas mower that's going to be easy to start, maintain and wont cost me $1000?
    Thats just silly - but the good news is that its likely a 20$ part, like a bridge rectifier, that needs to be replaced.

Ive replace several on corded mowers where these blew out and now work fine. The issue tends to come about on hot days and heavy mowing - the unit cant handle the current draw and burns up.

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for lee valley push mower for a yard that size. Or just buy a good trimmer and go freehand haha.

Can you even get a 12" gas mower? That's literally the same (or smaller?) than the swath my trimmer cuts. I call BS.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I dont know if you can get one that's 12", I just know ours was 14" and a perfect size, so happy to look at one in that size range.

We had a push mower, but on the odd month I'm out of town, wife hated it and said it had to go.

Whole reason we had a new mower was the replace the

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I dont know if you can get one that's 12", I just know ours was 14" and a perfect size, so happy to look at one in that size range.

We had a push mower, but on the odd month I'm out of town, wife hated it and said it had to go.

Whole reason we had a new mower was the replace the
    for your yard, something like these might be appropriate:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sun...tor/1000854973

I bought this one on Tuesday after @baygirl ran over the electrical cord of the old one. Last thing I wanted her to do was electrocute herself, and she is not exactly the most observant person some of the time. Thankfully it tripped the GFCI plug. I figure this way, she can't turn herself into a ightbulb.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pow...wer/1001495563
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Necrobump!

I picked myself up a used Cub Cadet over 15 years and its been trouble free. Best gas unit I've ever used compared to the ones my dad have over the years. I've changed the oil a few times in its lift time. End of the season run the gas to empty with some fuel stabilizer and forget about it in the garden shed for the winter. Put some gas in it yesterday for its first run and pulled over first try with not even a puff of smoke. The thing I like with them they have a choke and not a primer as it's a OHV motor.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Kjonus View Post
    I picked myself up a used Cub Cadet over 15 years and its been trouble free. Best gas unit I've ever used compared to the ones my dad have over the years. I've changed the oil a few times in its lift time. End of the season run the gas to empty with some fuel stabilizer and forget about it in the garden shed for the winter. Put some gas in it yesterday for its first run and pulled over first try with not even a puff of smoke. The thing I like with them they have a choke and not a primer as it's a OHV motor.
    My cub cadet has been reasonably solid, but its kind of a bitch to start sometimes. The two things I hate about it are that it's an "auto choke" so I have no idea when it's choked or not, and the only way I can start it is with the blade engaged. No option to pull it without the blade spinning, or let it go and idle it for a bit. Makes me miss the old honda I had with independent choke, throttle, blade engagement. I'll probably replace this one with a Honda if it ever conks out on me.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast