Quantcast
Are you a car guy? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you a car person?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 88.54%
  • No

11 11.46%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a car guy?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond is easily 75% car enthusiasts, which is fine. But car guys? No, car guys live the car guy lifestyle. Going out and buying a car for $60-100k is not that lifestyle.
    What does price have to do with being a car guy? Someone could buy a 60-100k car (new or used/out of warranty) and work on it.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Most definitely yes.

First thing I do generally is check autoblog, and forums for new news.

I have a cool car, love talking cars. Will go to the drag strip, auto cross, half mile and car shows.

I’ll go to dealerships just to look at the pretty new cars and admire. (And free coffee lol)

I don’t wrench as much, but will still do suspension, wheels, oil changes, tune ups.

I’ve done as much as full pan to intake rebuilds, custom turbo kits (aside from the welding and bending), and owned everything from 80s firebird to new GTRs.

My desire to wrench is slowly dwindling I must say, but my enthusiasm for ownership and information is getting worse.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I voted yes. I'm a former mechanic of 15 years, but am currently not working in the industry any more. I go to car shows, drive around and look at the new models on the dealer's lots, occasionally work on my own vehicles, but nothing major. My personal definition of a car guy is pretty broad, if you like cars (new and old), then you're a car guy in my books.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Unfortunately yes. It's a disease as I can't commit to any car and it's probably cost me a lot of money over the years. Fortunately new cars are so good these days that you really don't need to drop money on mods so I find I'm doing a lot less of that.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I've never even changed my own oil, or brake pads on any of my cars. The only work I've ever done is to swap wheels.

Hope I'm still a car guy haha.
    Never even changed your own oil? For shame. I have changed the oil for every car I've owned. It's a nice way on a weekend to have some one on one time with your car in a garage setting. In my DSM days I had turbo swaps down to a science where I could do one and have the car running in a couple of hours or less.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What does price have to do with being a car guy? Someone could buy a 60-100k car (new or used/out of warranty) and work on it.
    Well, I mean you could argue a point I didn't make, but it doesn't change what I said.

Somebody buys a $60k car and then does work on it themselves? Car guy. Buys a $60k car and then goes and pays a shop to do work to it? Car enthusiast. Its a pretty simple delineation, spectating vs participating.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think the term you are looking for is mechanic

Some people are far more interested in the end result than the process.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Well, I mean you could argue a point I didn't make, but it doesn't change what I said.

Somebody buys a $60k car and then does work on it themselves? Car guy. Buys a $60k car and then goes and pays a shop to do work to it? Car enthusiast. Its a pretty simple delineation, spectating vs participating.
    It is weird because when these guys talk at meets they always say “I”, “yea I swapped to aluminum xxx cfm heads, ported the intake manifold, dropped a high lift cam in. I put in MS fuel and spark management. I put in a turbo kit with a xx trim compressor xx turbine Garrett turbo, meth injection etc etc etc”. You think holy shit this guy knows how to turn wrenches. Then it ends up they had everything done by a shop and the guy just knows how to regurgitate information.......

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    i never said people who dont do their own tricks arent car guys, i said its so undefined this kind of question without further clarity is completely useless.
    I left it completely open because I wanted to hear people's opinions of themselves, not anything measured against an objective external standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    It is weird because when these guys talk at meets they always say “I”, “yea I swapped to aluminum xxx cfm heads, ported the intake manifold, dropped a high lift cam in. I put in MS fuel and spark management. I put in a turbo kit with a xx trim compressor xx turbine Garrett turbo, meth injection etc etc etc”. You think holy shit this guy knows how to turn wrenches. Then it ends up they had everything done by a shop and the guy just knows how to regurgitate information.......
    For once, you and I can agree on something. For instance, Rage always talks about how he had turbo hondas and shit back in the day, I thought he actually did some work himself. It became apparent a while ago that's not the case. I'm not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with that, but the people are simply not the same (in mindset or know-how). Which is why when people sing the praises of car reviewers like Chris Harris as if they actually know anything I get riled up.

I'd be surprised if you have turned a wrench on anything in your life :p

That's more of an observation than an insult though. First year of eng degree, and even after I went into Instrumentation, 90% of the class hadn't either. Different strokes for different folks. Hence why I separate people into car guy and car enthusiast. They are completely different beyond liking cars in a general sense, and it even shows in what they drive and what they talk about when it comes to cars.

My Ride
    party car

am not a guy, but like cars? so.. car person? yes.
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Colour yourself surprised then.

In any case I am way more interested in new technological developments that are coming out of the auto sector and the results that modern development has led to than filling up oil. You are absolutely correct in that regard.

That and I enjoy actually driving my cars.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I think the term you are looking for is mechanic

It's partly that for me, the other part is that in the time it takes a mechanic to do it, I can make more money than he costs me so it would be dumb to spend my time doing his job. I could do it, it just often doesn't make sense to.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Totally

I am very interested in where along the spectrum of:

I have my chauffeur drive me around in my 250k Maybach which I like quite a lot
    to
    I literally fabricated a car from scrap metal with my bare hands which I also like quite a lot

When you become a “car guy”

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    It's partly that for me, the other part is that in the time it takes a mechanic to do it, I can make more money than he costs me so it would be dumb to spend my time doing his job. I could do it, it just often doesn't make sense to.
    For most of us that isn’t the case. I’d say an average shop rate would be $120/hr, plus the markup on parts the shop charges which means you’d have to make ~$270k/year + for that to make sense. Most of us don't

Edit: forgot diagnostic fees too

I don’t work on my cars during work hours so doesn’t really make sense either. Only makes sense if you would be otherwise making money if you weren’t under your car.

Fact is most people don’t know how, that’s fine. Not saying I do, a buddy of mine has an LS powered car into quadruple digit WHP. I am a complete bumbling amature comparatively speaking, I don’t classify myself a true car guy though either. Just like I’m not an athlete, I just dabble in the gym and rec leagues
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

For most of us that isn’t the case. I’d say an average shop rate would be $120/hr, plus the markup on parts the shop charges which means you’d have to make ~$270k/year + for that to make sense. Most of us don't

Edit: forgot diagnostic fees too

I don’t work on my cars during work hours so doesn’t really make sense either. Only makes sense if you would be otherwise making money if you weren’t under your car.

Fact is most people don’t know how, that’s fine. Not saying I do, a buddy of mine has an LS powered car into quadruple digit WHP. I am a complete bumbling amature comparatively speaking, I don’t classify myself a true car guy though either. Just like I’m not an athlete, I just dabble in the gym and rec leagues
    Not to mention, My workday is limited, so working on my own car is not detracting from my income, its simply reducing my spend, its double dipping, i still make the same money i would any other day, but i am also saving the money not paying shop labor.

(edit, i see you did add that in your edit, glad it makes sense to others too)
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

When you become a “car guy”
    Well, if you bothered reading, I already said. Participating vs spectating. Its very straightforward. I understand that that more than likely puts you outside the car guy group, but that's alright. I'd say the same thing about a "hockey guy" who doesn't actually play hockey and just watches. You aren't a race car driver unless you actually, you know, race a car (and auto-x is pushing the definition as it is).

The Allen key for Ikea furniture doesn't count as turning a wrench, just to be clear since it seems to be such a difficult concept for you to grasp

My Ride
    Silverado

if you can't rebuild a transmission you are not a car guy

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    if you can't rebuild a transmission you are not a car guy
    wanna help me do a clutch change on a 06 civic then?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I don't make that much either. What I mean is, the mechanic has thousands of hours of experience and tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of tools. It would be an investment of much more than $120 an hour for me to have the same ability that he does. He's cheaper than I am so he does the work.

Edit: If it sounds like I'm saying working on vehicles is for dirty peasants, that's not what I mean. I just mean I can fuck around for a weekend trying to get something done, or I can send it to a shop during the week and then drive it all weekend. I get much more enjoyment out of that. Some people love to work on cars. Good for them. I don't think one or the other qualifies or disqualifies you to be a car person.
    Last edited by SKR; 05-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast