Quantcast
Are Your Roofing Crew Tethered? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Your Roofing Crew Tethered?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Default Are Your Roofing Crew Tethered?

With all of the hail damage over the last year or so I have seen a ton of roofing crews out there and wonder why no one seems to be wearing fall arrest. Its OHS law over 3m and most homes in my community are two story homes.
    And this is the reason why I started looking with a critical eye.
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/co...ource=facebook

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all of the hail damage over the last year or so I have seen a ton of roofing crews out there and wonder why no one seems to be wearing fall arrest. Its OHS law over 3m and most homes in my community are two story homes.
    I dont think it's OH&S law in the city. Working in the city in construction seems to be waaaayy different safety wise.

I'm working near bowness/COP and the safety is a joke. My buddy got ran over by a skid steer because basic skid steer safety wasn't applied.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Ok Karen, start calling them in then.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

It is OH&S Law in the city, my wife doesnt have the inspector certification but some of her co-workers do (She works in Emergency Management for the Feds). if they see someone doing it they are legally required to report it. I have heard countless stories about it getting reported including a crew working on the budling acorss the street from their building. That got shut down farily fast with one call. There are just a tonne of shit companies priortizing speed overy safety these days.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I dont think it's OH&S law in the city. Working in the city in construction seems to be waaaayy different safety wise.

I'm working near bowness/COP and the safety is a joke. My buddy got ran over by a skid steer because basic skid steer safety wasn't applied.
    Yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    Ok Karen, start calling them in then.
    Lol, this attitude is why people get fucked up in trades. There's something manly about taking unnecessary risks, I guess?

Not to mention workplace accidents cost taxpayers money - so fucking buckle up, wear protection and remind the goofs who call you pussy why they're missing a few digits.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Seems that a sudden surge in demand for roofing and siding crews might lead to corner cutting and since my neighbor is getting their roof done I dont want the crew falling on my property

Bad enough with all the nails-imagine gringos falling from the sky.
    Last edited by ianmcc; 07-08-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Gringos not Amigos!

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Quote Originally Posted by born2workoncars View Post
    Lol, this attitude is why people get fucked up in trades. There's something manly about taking unnecessary risks, I guess?

Not to mention workplace accidents cost taxpayers money - so fucking buckle up, wear protection and remind the goofs who call you pussy why they're missing a few digits.
    risking your life, for what? i dont get the mentality.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Yes it is
    Guess I should have put LOL after my OH&S statement. I know it is, it just doesn't seem to be followed out here, or
    isn't known on a basic level from some people I've seen.

Mond you, most roofers I see look like they're risking their life after work with crack too

Quote Originally Posted by born2workoncars View Post

I was speaking from the perspective of a regular person watching them work...not as an actual worker on the worksite. If I was, ya, I would follow all the rules, it's for my own safety. But if Im watching who cares, it's their life they're putting in danger....this is akin to my old neighborhood in Airdrie where residents are calling RCMP everyday to report teenagers jumping off the bridge into the storm water pond, who cares, they're only hurting themselves if something happens.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I was speaking from the perspective of a regular person watching them work...not as an actual worker on the worksite. If I was, ya, I would follow all the rules, it's for my own safety. But if Im watching who cares, it's their life they're putting in danger....this is akin to my old neighborhood in Airdrie where residents are calling RCMP everyday to report teenagers jumping off the bridge into the storm water pond, who cares, they're only hurting themselves if something happens.
    I get pretty annoyed when my tax dollars go towards paying for stupidity.

Report them. Call me a Karen but safety at work is serious stuff. Nobody ever thinks anything bad will happen to them until it does, and then some poor kid or family just lost their mom/dad/brother/sister/spouse/whatever

I’ve worked at big companies my entire career and every year there’s always multiple deaths and it really irks me cuz everything is preventable.

And not to be selfish but indeed we all pay for it in the end whether it’s company bonuses tied to safety performance, or people going on disability/aish if they make it alive all paid for with our tax dollars.

My Ride
    4x4

.... WCB puts about 20m a year into the provinces general revenues...

Rest assured your government knows how to take your money from every possible source.

Having some roofing experience - the usual headache is - how do you get an appropriate anchor on top of a roof? Yes there's big plates that bolt into the peak and trusses but you need one per crew member, so 5-6 to a roof and you need to drill a big hole through the peak, + 4-8 big lags each.

So many Karen’s....

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    .... WCB puts about 20m a year into the provinces general revenues...

Rest assured your government knows how to take your money from every possible source.

Having some roofing experience - the usual headache is - how do you get an appropriate anchor on top of a roof? Yes there's big plates that bolt into the peak and trusses but you need one per crew member, so 5-6 to a roof and you need to drill a big hole through the peak, + 4-8 big lags each.
    You are correct - but this is why the term 'best practice' exists.

Sure, you can perform vehicle maintenance solely based on the integrity of your jack - but there's a reason why jack stands exist. The same principle applies to motorcyclists, pilots, etc - There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old bold riders....

In America, you're financially insulated from the poor choices of others. Maybe a gofundme will save them.

In Canada, you're insured against your poor decision making. It's in every tax payers best interest to diminish the amount of medical attention required by the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    So many Karen’s....
    So quick to demonstrate your misunderstanding of pop culture vernacular.
    Last edited by born2workoncars; 07-08-2021 at 07:56 PM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

The thing that pisses me off with safety is, it takes everything to the lowest common denominator. I get why, but, sometimes it's too much. Also, all the faking paperwork involved. In general, I hate safety.....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's the wcb rate for roofing companies? I suspect that will answer how big of a deal this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What's the wcb rate for roofing companies? I suspect that will answer how big of a deal this is.
    $5.25 which is the second highest on the 2020 premium rates sheet next to framers at $5.26. Interestingly enough drywallers are also really high at $5.06.

Based on these numbers I'd say roofing (lack off) safety is a pretty big deal.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 07-09-2021 at 12:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    $5.25 which is the second highest on the 2020 premium rates sheet next to framers at $5.26. Interestingly enough drywallers are also really high at $5.06.
    Based on these numbers I'd say roofing (lack off) safety is a pretty big deal.
    Thanks, I was too lazy to look that up. If someone had spare time, they could keep themselves pretty busy calling in safety violations on roofing crews around town. Don't think I've ever seen one with proper fall restriaints. Not sure what the payoff for the person making that call is, but maybe they'd get a warm fuzzy feeling from making the world a safer place.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Thanks, I was too lazy to look that up. If someone had spare time, they could keep themselves pretty busy calling in safety violations on roofing crews around town. Don't think I've ever seen one with proper fall restriaints. Not sure what the payoff for the person making that call is, but maybe they'd get a warm fuzzy feeling from making the world a safer place.
    There is a big difference in real world safety and back office safety.

As someone who has worked on roofs with multiple people, what people fail to understand is that at times safety equipment can actually be a risk and can cause injuries.

You can help eliminate safety risks but in any high risk type job something always happens. So you do your best to minimize those issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast