Quantcast
Pollen - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pollen

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

This is the first time in my life I've experienced itchy eyes, I can only assume it's due to the most pollen I've ever seen. Any suggestions from people who have beat it? Maybe Visine Seasonal?

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flonase no longer requires a prescription, but if you have a drug plan you can get a prescription for the equiv.

I tried them all and Flonase just straight up works. Sinus rinse/Netti Pot does help but I need to do it so many times a day just to survive. I was taking Flonase, got lucky as my allergy test was available within a week of asking...so I couldn’t take any meds for a week. It was hell, even rinsing 3 times a day, I would be sneezing and blowing my nose at work a ton.

I’m back on Flonase and don’t even rinse or take reactine because I don’t feel I need to. After showering in the morning I snort some and get on with my day, like putting on deodorant.

My regiment last year was sinus rinse in the morning and about an hour before bed. Then right before bed I’d take an extra strength reactine. The non-drowsy didn’t work worth shit, it always made me feel pretty foggy for the entire morning so I was forced to take it before bed and even then I’d be so tired and out of it the next day. I drank a disgusting amount of coffee to be productive.

Flonase has basically cured my seasonal allergies. If I could be that loser on the infomercial saying “Flonase changed my life!” I would happily because it’s fucking true.

According to the allergist, seasonal allergies are becoming more common, attributed to what he believes are longer growing seasons and therefore longer exposure periods. My allergy test also revealed that I’m allergic to the whole god damn planet, and it’s a miracle that I haven’t died yet.
    Thanks for posting about it, second day on it and it’s great.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Wind gust = yellow cloud of hack cough sneeze *gasp*
    Was expecting a Chem Trail conspiracy thread with ZenOps at the helm. Disappointed.

My allergy test also revealed that I’m allergic to the whole god damn planet, and it’s a miracle that I haven’t died yet.
    I know the feeling

Name:  IMG_20160815_094657315.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  12.1 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Allergic to every tested type of trees, grasses, dust, and every animal with hair or fur. Fuck yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

How accurate is that allergy testing? I've had it before and the results were like others here, I was allergic to everything and thought I'd have to live in a bubble...but in reality I am not bothered by allergies whatsoever. The only thing I've really noticed is cats, but only if I pet one and then touch my eyes, so it's pretty much a non-issue. I do get a toonie-sized hive when a mosquito bites me though, but it goes away fast.

My Ride
    NC1

This allergy thing is weird.

It started in 2014/15 on and off and I relied on Otrivin and Reactine to get me through stretches. I blamed my cats and It got bad to the point where I booked an appt with Dr. Doctor to get tested but it coincided with my Africa trip so I bailed. I came back and it slowly went away and now nothing but un open medication I hope I won't need again.

Anyone ever try immunotherapy to get rid of allergies? A co-worker was telling me it worked for him, haven't got around to asking him any details about it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How accurate is that allergy testing? I've had it before and the results were like others here, I was allergic to everything and thought I'd have to live in a bubble...but in reality I am not bothered by allergies whatsoever. The only thing I've really noticed is cats, but only if I pet one and then touch my eyes, so it's pretty much a non-issue. I do get a toonie-sized hive when a mosquito bites me though, but it goes away fast.
    Ditto. I think I reacted like that because of the sheer amount of allergens they were testing on my arm at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Ditto. I think I reacted like that because of the sheer amount of allergens they were testing on my arm at the same time.
    That was my hypothesis as well...they puncture your skin with literally dozens of irritant-covered needles with all kinds of different things - of course the body is going to react to that. Mine was done on my back. I was told I was allergic to everything and in reality I am pretty much allergic to nothing.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Anyone ever try immunotherapy to get rid of allergies? A co-worker was telling me it worked for him, haven't got around to asking him any details about it yet though.
    I just finished doing the weekly treatment of this at the beginning of May. I am now starting monthly shots.

It has helped quite a bit actually. I noticed I sneeze a whole lot less and can be around peoples dogs without getting allergies. I am also super allergic I tested highly allergic to everything but food lol.. and really never did anything about it except take reactine.

IMO it is worth it. The serum for the shots were approx $400 (probably less with less allergies) and then if you have benefits it covered around 75% of the cost.

edit: also the allergy test itself was about $60-80? and then it took a month for the serum stuff to come in.

Alterac's reactions are very moderate. My co-worker when he gets tested for nuts, gets bumps about 15 cm wide. Same with me when I eat shellfish. I get credit card sized welts all over my body.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Alterac's reactions are very moderate. My co-worker when he gets tested for nuts, gets bumps about 15 cm wide. Same with me when I eat shellfish. I get credit card sized welts all over my body.
    Wow - I see. So maybe the smaller bumps happen to everyone, and they are just looking for major reactions?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

LOL some of you don't believe an allergy test? A positive result doesn't mean you'll go into anaphylaxis, it could be a mild allergy that you don't take much or any notice too because it's not drastic enough on a day-to-day basis.

Doesn't change the fact you're still allergic to it.

It's the same as being sensitive to certain food vs. being full blown lactose intolerant.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-31-2018 at 09:46 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Wow - I see. So maybe the smaller bumps happen to everyone, and they are just looking for major reactions?
    No, not everybody gets the small bumps. I had my youngest tested a couple of months ago. No reaction at all to any animals or to any nuts. She's allergic to all grasses and dandelions, although those two are extremely common. The bumps were quite small. Basically it means she shouldn't roll around in the grass naked for two hours.

LOL some of you don't believe an allergy test? A positive result doesn't mean you'll go into anaphylaxis, it could be a mild allergy that you don't take much or any notice too because it's not drastic enough on a day-to-day basis.

Doesn't change the fact you're still allergic to it.

It's the same as being sensitive to certain food vs. being full blown lactose intolerant.
    The reason I didn't believe mine was the doctor told me I was allergic to various things, told me to avoid them, take antihistamines, etc. but in reality I was 100% fine. I was not told "you have a mild reaction here, you're technically allergic, but it likely won't bother you day to day".

My Ride
    03' B6

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    This is the first time in my life I've experienced itchy eyes, I can only assume it's due to the most pollen I've ever seen. Any suggestions from people who have beat it? Maybe Visine Seasonal?
    Same here! Never in my life have I experience such itchy eyes. I've been wetting paper towels at work and just placing them over my eyes when they get itchy! My coworkers think I'm the biggest fob haha

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    I just finished doing the weekly treatment of this at the beginning of May. I am now starting monthly shots.

It has helped quite a bit actually. I noticed I sneeze a whole lot less and can be around peoples dogs without getting allergies. I am also super allergic I tested highly allergic to everything but food lol.. and really never did anything about it except take reactine.

IMO it is worth it. The serum for the shots were approx $400 (probably less with less allergies) and then if you have benefits it covered around 75% of the cost.

edit: also the allergy test itself was about $60-80? and then it took a month for the serum stuff to come in.
    where did you do this? do you need a doctor referral at all?

Allergist can do it. Yes you need a referral. I want to do it as well because I have terrible grass/pollen allergies.

Im basically on meds from spring to fall, alergic to almost every grass / tree / pollen / etc and it stuffs me up, itchy red eyes, sneezing, and Extreme itchy pallete/dry mouth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast