Quantcast
Calgary to Portland, then down the coast to.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary to Portland, then down the coast to....

Default Calgary to Portland, then down the coast to....

Howdy folks, planning a trip to Portland here and looking for recommendations of cool places to check out on the way there and then along the coast highway.

Right now we're looking at sauntering over to Portland, staying there a few days, and then heading to Canon Beach and further down the coast highway to probably Monterey CA to see the aquarium. Not sure if we'll go further south than that.

Just looking to see what sights we should check out on the way, hotels to stay in, and suggestions for the return trip. I can track everything and repost here when we're back so others could do the same.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you aren't in a rush, I highly recommend Washington State highway 20 from Tiger Washington to Concrete Washington. Much slower, but so pretty, it's all in the mountains the entire way.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

We make this road trip every year en route to San Fran. I have yet to go to Canon Beach, but I hear there are puffins to see.

From Portland, we go to Tillamook to check out the factory, then make our way down the coast.

Highway 101 is great for views, but windy and narrow. If you’re u get stuck behind slow moving vehicles, be prepared to add extra hours to your commute.

Depoe Bay is amazing for seeing the local Pod of Gray Whales. It is near Lincoln City, we stay there often as there is a lovely beach across from our hotel.

My Ride
    NC1

@flipstah just did this.

My Ride
    LNF

Cannon Beach is pretty nice. There is a nice little town and lots of places to stay on the beach. The beach can be chilly so be prepared. We just drove thru it and stopped in for a bit but really liked it. Probably a day or so would be good there.

I love Portland though. Really cool city and lots of really good places to eat. Last time we stayed with an older lady from airbnb and she had lots of recommendations for food and things to do.

I would highly recommend the japanese garden, and they do free tours (check out their site for times) and i recommend it because they explain the history and significance of the gardens. Really cool IMO.

For food, Jakes Famous Crayfish is really good for seafood, checkout voodoo and blue star for donuts, salt and straw for ice cream. Also, Portland has some really good thai food, we really liked Thai bloom.

Also there are lots of food trucks/outdoor food courts. We went to one called Portland Mercado and it was incredible, just a large variety of latin american food that was just food trucks set up in a square.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Cannon Beach is nice. Lincoln Beach is awesome. Really, most of the drive (with a few exceptions) down to San Fran is just gorgeous. If you want a destination that isn't so far south, you could end at the Redwood Forest which is worth seeing with these absolutely mammoth trees.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    @flipstah just did this.
    If you're not in a rush, PCH from Seattle to Seaside, OR then Portland. The coast will be at your right side the whole time.

Otherwise, rip it through Cour d'Alene and Spokane, then you're in Portland.

Canon Beach is neat and you'll head there from Seaside and Tillamook.

The Grotto is always a nice place to be in and the food truck blocks are hype. Go follow EaterPDX and eat through that haha.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I trying to plan a similar drive this year too.
    Redwood forest is on my list.

My Ride
    V167

We just went to Portland, Canon Beach etc, and loved the trip!

Highly recommend the Japanese garden in Portland, we loved it. You can eat there as well, we enjoyed the food as well. Check out Blue Star donuts, was really good. We stayed at The Sentinel hotel, booked on Travelocity (got free valet parking included).

Canon Beach was a very nice place, there was a good pub/micro brewery there we ate at, forget the name, but its the only real place in town. Enjoyed it. Spend the day there walking about.

Seaside we did not find that attractive, we just drove through, very busy, commercialized.

pic because why not...
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The food truck blocks in Portland are amazing.

Another thing of note, is that there is no sales tax in Oregon. So if you are into high priced items, it helps to not have to pay tax on them.

The Redwoods are great. If you haven’t seen them, it is a must.

This thread is making me super excited for the trip this year!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by bleu View Post
    The food truck blocks in Portland are amazing.

Another thing of note, is that there is no sales tax in Oregon. So if you are into high priced items, it helps to not have to pay tax on them.

The Redwoods are great. If you haven’t seen them, it is a must.

This thread is making me super excited for the trip this year!
    Also, it's illegal to fill up your own gas tank. I got disciplined over the intercom, but by the time they got there I was done so I just paid and GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Also, it's illegal to fill up your own gas tank. I got disciplined over the intercom, but by the time they got there I was done so I just paid and GTFO.
    Totally forgot about that one!! My husband got told too.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I had to look this up... holy shit...

My Ride
    Exploded.

On the plus side, gas is relatively cheap.

Fill up on the Idaho side before crossing to Washington and then if you can make it, fill up past Spokane before going into Portland.

I asked them why it was illegal and no one could figure out why. Portland outlet store is in Woodburn and it's on par with Seattle Premium Outlet with the no sales tax (Seattle Premium does no sales tax to Albertans).

Craters of the Moon in Idaho if you're going that way. Crater Lake in Oregon as well.
    Will fuck off, again.

Great info so far, thanks a lot!

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

On the plus side, gas is relatively cheap.

Fill up on the Idaho side before crossing to Washington and then if you can make it, fill up past Spokane before going into Portland.

I asked them why it was illegal and no one could figure out why. Portland outlet store is in Woodburn and it's on par with Seattle Premium Outlet with the no sales tax (Seattle Premium does no sales tax to Albertans).
    When you say Spokane do you mean Vancouver, Washington? It's a bit of a detour to head north over the Columbia into Washington for that, assuming that you're driving the quickest route from Calgary to Portland. After Kennewick, Washington you're heading west in I-84 on the Oregon side just south of the Columbia River. I noticed that too and found out what "mini serve" means at Oregon gas stations - an attendant sticks the pump into the gas tank for you and that's it. IIRC you can't dispense your own fuel in Oregon and New Jersey - allegedly for safety reasons, but it might just be a make work initiative.

For stops on the way to Portland I'd personally stop in Coeur d'Alene instead of Spokane - as mentioned, there's generally cheaper gas on the Idaho side, and imo Coeur d'Alene is a much, MUCH nicer looking city. You drive west into Spokane and it's really dumpy by comparison. Same applies to Portland (great) and Vancouver, Washington (not-so-great). I also made sure to fill up in Oregon before crossing over into California.

I echo that Highway 101 is a really nice drive. I spent the night in Coos Bay a few years ago and it was a great one night stopping point along the highway with plenty of amenities and much to see/do just north and south of the city.

Just a FYI for anyone that travels to the US. I was looking in to whether we should get a US Visa and/or bank account.

The issue is that we purchase only a few things in US funds, and travel is more or less just tournaments for the kids at this time. Paying fees on the bank account, fees on a credit card, and fees to transfer money made no sense since that would cost more than we'd save.

Rogers has a Mastercard that gives 3% cash back on foreign purchases. The transaction fee on credit cards for foreign purchases is 2.5% + actual exchange rate (not sure if this varies), so in the end you come out ahead .5%. I guess it was 4% cash back before, but I'll take 3%. Also there are no fees, unless you want a card that comes with insurance. I'd just use my CDN Visa for car rentals if we need them.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainsbarre View Post
    When you say Spokane do you mean Vancouver, Washington? It's a bit of a detour to head north over the Columbia into Washington for that, assuming that you're driving the quickest route from Calgary to Portland. After Kennewick, Washington you're heading west in I-84 on the Oregon side just south of the Columbia River. I noticed that too and found out what "mini serve" means at Oregon gas stations - an attendant sticks the pump into the gas tank for you and that's it. IIRC you can't dispense your own fuel in Oregon and New Jersey - allegedly for safety reasons, but it might just be a make work initiative.

For stops on the way to Portland I'd personally stop in Coeur d'Alene instead of Spokane - as mentioned, there's generally cheaper gas on the Idaho side, and imo Coeur d'Alene is a much, MUCH nicer looking city. You drive west into Spokane and it's really dumpy by comparison. Same applies to Portland (great) and Vancouver, Washington (not-so-great). I also made sure to fill up in Oregon before crossing over into California.

I echo that Highway 101 is a really nice drive. I spent the night in Coos Bay a few years ago and it was a great one night stopping point along the highway with plenty of amenities and much to see/do just north and south of the city.
    Well from Calgary we went:

- Cranbrook
    - Post Falls
    - Coeur d'Alene for lunch
    - Spokane
    - Kennewick
    - Portland

Coeur d'Alene is WAY nicer than Spokane, yes. Spokane is a dump compared to Coeur d'Alene lol.

If you're heading from Seattle, then Vancouver, WA would be on your radar.