Quantcast
Any of you guys bought glasses online before? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any of you guys bought glasses online before?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Any of you guys bought glasses online before?

So I woke up to find my glasses broken on the rims 3 days ago so I've been wearing my prescription safety glasses as glasses for everything since then and I look like a knob.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  23.4 KB

Anyway I went to the optometrist and got my prescription and then I went online to buy some from warby parker but I found that they are needing my PD (pupil distance) I used their tool but I first asked my optometrist and he said they dont do it, and only some opticians do it but only rarely since they want you to buy their glasses from their shop.

Anyway costco does do it and I found an older prescription from them to use, but has anyone bought from warby parker or some other online place and had a good experience.

That photo was taken at the hospital and I didnt get many wierd looks however I did get some wierd looks wearing them while I was at chinook the other day.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 06-01-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    rally pig

I've bought most of my glasses from Clearly Contacts (https://www.clearly.ca), used the prescription that I got from my optometrist and worked fine.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I've bought most of my glasses from Clearly Contacts (https://www.clearly.ca), used the prescription that I got from my optometrist and worked fine.
    +1

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I just bought a pair from warby parker for $150 all in incl shipping and also another pair from some other canadian site that was cheaper but I could enter in my PD whereas warby parker also kept that info to themselves the 2nd outfit had a buy one get one free on frames so i picked up some sunglasses too (my last pair of prescription sunglasses were stolen out of my car by some thug).

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I've purchased from Clearly Contacts, and Zenni. Both were good, My cheap Zenni frames feel a bit cheap but I haven't managed to break them, and I break a lot of frames.

PD is easy to do yourself. I used calipers in the mirror, likely more than accurate enough.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Isn't Pd kind of important for your glasses to work? Or is that only on some prescriptions like astigmatism or bifocals etc?

I'm still rocking the glasses I got last time I had benefits. I probably need new ones soon, these aren't holding together that well, even with several tune-ups from the optometrist folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

All my glasses are $120 and under from Clearly Contacts.

$30-$40 to get your PD measured

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    All my glasses are $120 and under from Clearly Contacts.

$30-$40 to get your PD measured

that's a lot one place I walked into charged $5

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Find a new optometrist if they won’t put your PD in the prescription.

It is easy to do yourself following the online instructions at clearly.ca

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I used my old costco prescription and when i used the instructions from clearly contacts I got the same result.

Yup, have bought many times.

Once you get a touch of farsightedness like me, you get two PD numbers, lol.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Have used Clearly, Zenni, and Firmoo. Measured PD myself, no issues with any of my glasses.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Purchased from Clearly and now Zenni. Just placed an order for 3 sets with Zenni. Hope my work benefits cover them.

Can't beat $6.95 frame. I only wear glasses at home so good enough for me. On a side note, is Zenni based out of Calgary? Cause my order shows shipping from out of Calgary?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-01-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    On a side note, is Zenni based out of Calgary? Cause my order shows shipping from out of Calgary?
    No, not local. If I recall correctly they're in China. I think they group orders together to get them to the destination city, then individually ship them from there.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Ive received one of the pairs I ordered but I would like to get them tuned to sit on my face tighter. Where do you guys get this done?

My Ride
    NC1

Any optical store but they may charge $10 to $25

My Ride
    4Runner

I use Goggles4u, have bought glasses for spares and even prescripted sunglasses, love them all! Fast shipping and they always have 40%OFF deals

I measured my own PD with no issues. I have ordered from Clearly multiple times and have been impressed with all frames received as well as their customer service. One pair i ordered from them had both arms break off when i accidentally fell asleep in them within the first few weeks of receiving them, and they replaced for free even though accidental damage is not generally included (even paid return shipping on broken frames and shipping on the replacement). I recommend them to everyone.

Clearly Contacts is great, just make sure you get all your measurements correct. I have been happy with them for both glasses and contacts.

Glasses are one of the biggest ripoffs I can think of, and they have all kinds of BS to feed you on why you need to buy $800 glasses from them so they can validate the lenses, warranty them, etc. I used to go to Edworthy Vision and they would even try to feed me BS about how buying contacts through them is somehow different than Clearly Only difference is they cost more, have a worse warranty, and take weeks to come in instead of one day from Clearly. The last straw for me was how I had to fight them every time for my PD, they REALLY don't want to give that away because it makes online shopping way easier. You can also go to Costco and they will measure your PD for free no problem.

My parents took a pair of online glasses to their optometrist, he run them though his lens evaluator/checker thing, and was very surprised they bought them online because they were as good or better than the lenses he sold haha. IMO there is no need to be paying big money for glasses unless maybe you have a unique condition, fitting issues, etc. The only advantage I can think of is they will get them fitting right before you leave the store, the online ones sometimes you need to adjust but not a big deal.

If you still prefer the brick & mortar approach, Costco will do lenses for $100 and their frames are pretty cheap.

My Ride
    CBR 929

I definitely find trying to get the fit correct buying glasses online super difficult. Even if I measure my old glasses and order something that has exact same measurements, they can fit totally different. I've never had any issues with quality from online shops.

Someplaces in the US it is law that they include the PD as part of a proper and complete prescription. Don't know why it isn't the same here.

[url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast