Quantcast
Go Pro Guru’s- Recommendation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Go Pro Guru’s- Recommendation

Default Go Pro Guru’s- Recommendation

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it’s not I apologize.

My fiancé and I are getting married in a few weeks and head out on our honeymoon to South Africa shortly after. We are going to be doing some pretty cool things while there and I would like to make a video montage of our trip when we are back .

To capture these images/ short videos I am looking at getting a Go Pro. Problem is, I know very little about them and am looking for some guidance.
    What model/ version would you all recommend? I will need it to be waterproof as we will be surfing and heading on a Great White Shark excursion.

Is a Go Pro even the way to go??

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Get a Chinese knock off for 1/4 to 1/2 the price. I love my go pros but fuck are they ever over priced.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I have the Go Pro Hero 4.

The 4 has wireless activation if you buy the remote (I do not have this). But its handy for transferring the odd file here and there to your phone.
    The accessories are pricey though. Just buy the pack rather than individually. Just works out better. The main accessory that I found handy was the chest mount with the waterproof case.

You do get a sharp image with the Go Pro. I would say the image is more suited to action as the field of view is wide. That being said you can use it for general stuff and taking shots. I used my Samsung S4 and Go pro for taking pictures. The Go Pro allowed bigger structures to be captured in the field of view (see images below) then the S4.

I took mine to India and I just got back from SE Asia. Check your inbox, I sent you a video link so you can get a idea.

Its not cheap. I bought mine tax free at the Heathrow airport. I was flying through on transit. I called ahead and got them to reserve one.

There are definitely cheaper Asian knock offs cameras that do exactly the same thing. So don't rule it out.

If you do buy the Go Pro. Don't waste your money buying the yellow floating attachment. Just borrow mine.

Name:  GOPR0490.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  Angor.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  179.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get a Chinese knock off for 1/4 to 1/2 the price. I love my go pros but fuck are they ever over priced.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Any camera in particular that you’re aware of or would recommend?

I stumbled upon the Yi action camera, and it seems to be rated pretty well?

Go Pro's are quite bad for the price. They are little boxes with a tiny 1/2.3" sensor in it and poor connectivity with extremely limited features. They are incredibly simple and grossly overpriced. I bet it costs GoPro like $20 to make them based on the price of all the clones. Look at their stock over the last few years, it's not hard to see that the public is starting to figure it out. A hero 6 is $530 with no accessories and most modern smartphones have better cameras.

Get something like this, 1900 positive reviews and I believe they are compatible with all gopro accessories:

https://www.amazon.ca/AKASO-Waterpro...=action+camera

If you do go with a GoPro, don't buy their accessories. You can get massive kits like this for next to nothing:

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Accesso...ro+accessories

And because it's all Amazon, if anything isn't up to your expectations you have 30 days no questions asked returns and they pay the shipping.

This one advertises a 20MP Sony Sensor:

https://www.amazon.ca/AKASO-Brave-Un...=action+camera

So does this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-Adj...1CSSVDR7KGYX76

Basically just put "action camera" into the amazon search and there are about a dozen very highly reviewed ones.

The Cheap ($75) Yi camera only does 4K/20fps which is completely useless. I think you need to move into their $200+ cameras to get 4K/30 or 60fps.

You might also consider a drone if you want to get some cool trip footage for a memories video.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-03-2018 at 01:35 AM.

I was going to say, the better videos are ones that have an intro to the event. Just video'ing the actual activity and jumping around, here and there makes for a tough watch for most people. A drone might be too hard to bring.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Yi 4K Plus is a good camera but you have to put it in case. Go Pro Hero 6 you can go naked.

There are a lot comparison video on both. There are pros and con to either. But if you are a casual, I would lean towards Yi 4k plus @ 2/3 the price.

Both have EIS which will help you get rid of the shake (within reason) without investing in a gimbal.

Yi 4K is even cheaper but you lose EIS.

BTW, if you want waterproofing, Hero 6 can survive 10m naked while all Yi's are at the mercy of the case. I don't know who makes a good case but out of 2 Yi case I got, one has a very loose latch mechanism that actually popped while I have it mounted on a bike. I am weary of taking them into water with. I don't know if anyone actually make a good Yi case.

Picture quality is like Samsung vs Apple. Yi is more sharp, Hero is more warmth.

For the Yi line:

Yi Action Camera - 1080p
    Yi 4K - 4K 30p
    Yi 4K+ - 4K 60p and 4K 30p with EIS.

I think they are less than <$100 USD from each other in price.

The only reason you want 4K is editing freedom for croping in post. But for most videos on action cam without stabilization or gimbal, they are almost useless.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i recorded this this weekend with a yi4k, for the price i think it's pretty damn good value. (recorded at 1080p 60fps, edited in premiere and exported 30fps)

Last edited by Thaco; 06-04-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Just in time, Yi 4K+ for $280cdn.

https://www.amazon.ca/YI-Sports-Acti...rds=yi+4k+plus