Quantcast
Defrauded of prepayment. What are my options? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Defrauded of prepayment. What are my options?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Default Defrauded of prepayment. What are my options?

I need some advice, as I'm running up against a wall. The background is that we had trailer storage arranged on private property near my house, it was convenient, and we "had" a good relationship with the person providing the storage. This had been ongoing for 3 years, and we always paid up front, and we were always accommodating with any movements required, etc. This property is on a parcel that was slated for development, and had been for as long as we had known. We were very aware of this fact, and so was he. We discussed it regularly, whenever we went to pay as well as in emails. We knew it would end eventually, that's no big deal. We always paid with cheque, memo'd the reason on there, and had emails outlining the arrangement we had agreed upon.

The years that we followed were February to February, paying for the year in January. This year, like every other time we discussed the payment, we discussed the area plan, and whether any news had been heard. There as no action near the site, and it was a 3-5 year plan that (Truman) had in place for it. Fast forward to the first week of May, we have a voice mail from the guy telling us we had to move the trailer by the weekend, that the developer is moving equipment in and that we couldn't stay. Well, fine no big deal, so we contact him and say sure we will be by and move it, so what can we arrange to have the remainder of the year repayed to us (60/month, 720/yr, so $550 to be returned). He starts in on how they sprung this on him, and that he isn't prepared to take the loss, and that they have him now having to find a place to live. In these conversations it was clear he has no intent on paying back, instead essentially stealing the money from us, and went so far as to hang up mid conversation, refuse to answer calls (I called him later with an ID block, and he was unaware it was me until the story came up and once again, hung up and refused to answer further), doesn't respond to emails, text messages, nor answering his door. I was one of 7 trailers on the property, so I know I'm not the only one involved, but have no way of knowing who else is affected by this. We moved to another storage facility, and of course would like to use the money to pay for the partial year there.

Now, we know he was renting the property, not owning it. We know he was collecting the money without a business licence, without claiming taxes on the income. I have spoken to a lawyer, provided all of the documents, the cheque copies, correspondence, etc and it is in our favor. The problem is, it costs more to pursue the money, than to leave it.

This is where it rubs me the wrong way. How can a person essentially steal (I use fraud because it was paid for a service that is no longer being provided without mutual termination of the agreement) $550, and basically get away with it without any real recourse? By just not answering or ignoring every attempt to contact? Why is it that easy?

So I'm asking advice, because I'm unsure what to do. To me, there should be no reason that Police couldn't get involved with a door knock and discussion, afterall that's what they are there for, but I am not confident that I will be told it is not a police matter. Report to the CRA? To the city? This individual is a business owner here in Calgary, although not a very thriving one, its indicated as moved on Google but his voice mail still uses his business name.

Any advice on recourse is appreciated
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Perhaps worth your time to call Truman and speak with them to see if the person had paid a full year rent on the property? They may have more pull with this guy..

Other than that, Small Claims may be your next best chance..If you can find out the other trailers owners you will have a stronger case.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 06-04-2018 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This is where it rubs me the wrong way. How can a person essentially steal (I use fraud because it was paid for a service that is no longer being provided without mutual termination of the agreement) $550, and basically get away with it without any real recourse?
    We had someone steal over 120K from us even though we had a CCDC2 Contract with them, with no recourse. We ultimately spent so much on legal to collect it that we only ended up with 40 grand. There's little to nothing you can do and he knows it, even if you all get together it isn't worth the time likely. What you COULD do, is get CRA on his tail just to be a dick.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

If you have years of records...threaten him with CRA.

If he still refuses...file a complaint.

Or small claims court.
    Last edited by Nufy; 06-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    We had someone steal over 120K from us even though we had a CCDC2 Contract with them, with no recourse. We ultimately spent so much on legal to collect it that we only ended up with 40 grand. There's little to nothing you can do and he knows it, even if you all get together it isn't worth the time likely. What you COULD do, is get CRA on his tail just to be a dick.
    +1. I haven't been in this situation so it's easier said than done but sometimes to defeat dickheads you must become one yourself.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yikes! Its crazy that can happen at that amount!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    +1. I haven't been in this situation so it's easier said than done but sometimes to defeat dickheads you must become one yourself.
    Oh, I have no problem crossing that line. I'd like to try to get paid, and failing that drum up some inconvenience.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Yikes! Its crazy that can happen at that amount!
    Yup, quite a popular chain of tanning salons in Western Canada. We learned during the process they had an M.O. of doing this to GC's from town to town - they just underestimated our ability to counter them, most of their victims folded as they always chose small shops. NOTHING happens to them, they're still out there doing it to my knowledge.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

How do you know that he's not claiming this as income on his taxes?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Cause he’s dealing with a sleezeball.... to my knowledge sleezeballs aren’t claiming extra income to the CRA.

why would you talk to a lawyer? I'm surprised they didn't laugh you out of the building. Take him to small claims. It seems like a slam dunk win if it's worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Cause he’s dealing with a sleezeball.... to my knowledge sleezeballs aren’t claiming extra income to the CRA.
    I just wonder how impressed the CRA would be if they chased this down and found everything was on the up and up. One should probably be quite sure of something before they involve the CRA..
    Will fuck off, again.

I just wonder how impressed the CRA would be if they chased this down and found everything was on the up and up. One should probably be quite sure of something before they involve the CRA..
    There is literally a whistle blower thing on the CRA website for these kind of things.

My Ride
    ute

Some huge percentage of cras recoveries come from bitter people taddling. Especially spouses ex biz partners scorned lovers etc. They love it.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'm following this thread. I had a woman damage my garage delivering wood to my neighbors, admitted fault, made a plan to pay me for the damage then just stopped answering her phone. She told the police when they got involved that I was harassing her then she stopped answering the phone for the cops too. All in all it went nowhere so I hope you are more successful. The good news is that the police will at least give this person a call on your behalf and tell them to smarten up. Not sure they will do much beyond that though. The only thing I will comment on with that is if that its outside of the city limits the police will tell you its an RCMP issue, and the RCMP will tell you that you're both from the city so its a city police issue. Just navigate that maze and hopefully the phone call will get this guy to smarten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

a bit surprised no ones pointed out the op willingly dealt with some shady renter who he knew wasnt running a legitimate business and now he's upset he's out a few hundred bucks.

Why not deal with a legitimate business?? What was the incentive to deal with some shady renter??

Isn't this the risk when you attempt to save a few dollars??

My Ride

I don't know, but its a hunch, one I think you'd conclude as well if you shared the experience

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    why would you talk to a lawyer? I'm surprised they didn't laugh you out of the building. Take him to small claims. It seems like a slam dunk win if it's worth your time.
    We have lawyers in the family, so the "look over", documents, advice etc are all free for us. Its the filings and stuff that are too costly. And why not receive advice on whether we are right or wrong before kicking up some dust? I'm sure there's plenty of legal advice being handed out for many things that may seem like peanuts to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    a bit surprised no ones pointed out the op willingly dealt with some shady renter who he knew wasnt running a legitimate business and now he's upset he's out a few hundred bucks.

Why not deal with a legitimate business?? What was the incentive to deal with some shady renter??

Isn't this the risk when you attempt to save a few dollars??
    I guess you just came here to show us your feathers......But I'll bite. There are TONS of people who have arrangements to store on other peoples properties. Heck, I would even if I had a chunk of land out there somewhere, why not. The MAIN reasons we went and stored there was it was 2 minutes from my house, I could see the trailer on my drive to work daily, we could pick it up and drop it off at will, and do so in the span of 30 minutes if we needed or wanted to, we could grab stuff from it, put stuff back in it, check on its condition, etc without any real inconvenience. It was as close to storing on my own property as I could get, we negotiated a price based on paying a monthly fee a year in advance. No it was not "cheap" per say, no storage really ever is, but it was slightly cheaper than commercial options (but I would expect that, no security, etc). The storage sites near me were all full, literally for the 21-29' spots, which would have meant going south of the city, or east of the city for a spot. I live at the top of COP, so that doesn't suit my needs. I had previously stored in Cochrane for the same price, but had no access on weekends, stats, and for the entire month of December to get to, remove or replace my trailer.

Lastly, keep in mind there was no indication that he was a shady person until this came about. We had an excellent relationship, we had easy communication, hell even when I got a new truck and was out there picking it up he came out because he didn't recognize the vehicle and made sure it was me. He's a bit rough around the edges, but I don't judge people from appearance and such. Everything was fine until it came to we're being evicted and I don't want to pay you back for what I haven't provided you based on our agreement.

Does this reasoning suit your question? I would assume based on your position, you'd never buy anything on Kijiji, when you can just buy it in a store for more......amiright?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OP it sounds like a write-off unforunately.

Personally, I would not have given them more than 6 months at a time - probably 3 months maybe. Too much time for too many things (like this) that could happen. Dude could have skipped town just the same, as a renter, lost his job, etc.

My Ride
    AECO

I wouldn't look at it as intentionally stealing/defrauding.

Chances are your money was not in a prepaid rent account and went directly into his chequing account.

My guess is that your money has dried up and going after it would be more aggravating than it is worth.

The situation sucks, but for peace of mind I would just factor the monthly rent as a little more over the 3 years and be done with it.

My Ride
    ute

I swear one of these days I'm going to write a post on counter-party risk. What it is. Why you need to consider it, etc.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

So I'm asking advice, because I'm unsure what to do. To me, there should be no reason that Police couldn't get involved with a door knock and discussion, afterall that's what they are there for, but I am not confident that I will be told it is not a police matter.
    This is a civil matter, plain and simple. The police will not get involved. Your best recourse would be to go through small claims court, that's what its there for. But at the end of the day, how much time and money are you willing to waste for $550? If you do win in court...getting the money back from this person will be just another pain in the ass to deal with. Contact Truman and see if they are willing to help you out.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast