Quantcast
Intermittent fasting - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With number 2, I think you're mixing up putting on weight(broad generalization) with increasing LEAN body mass.

And your statement is a bit contradictory. If you're watching your macros *which are based on your goals ie weight loss or muscle gain* then you will never technically have a calorie surplus. They go hand in hand.
    I was always under the impression that macros referred to the breakdown of intake (protein/carbs/fats) vs. calories. The point I'm making is that a caloric surplus, even if it is macro-certified (tm), will still results in weight gain.

My Ride
    TypeR

If you guys ever want to do a bodycomp for free at my work to see if this is effective let me know. I've seen alot of mixed things from this last 3 months including muscle loss.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post

2. Horseshit. I can gain weight eating chicklen breasts and carrots if I eat 6k calories worth of them.
    Sure you can. Probably won't gain any fat though. In any sense, as mentioned, that wasn't what I was getting at originally, however what you said is technically correct if referring to fat loss as I was.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I was always under the impression that macros referred to the breakdown of intake (protein/carbs/fats) vs. calories. The point I'm making is that a caloric surplus, even if it is macro-certified (tm), will still results in weight gain.
    Sure it will. But the point was, most people negate the fact they can drastically change their RMB by simply manipulating what they eat and adding more calories. It's almost always the first thing I do when I start a new client that is overweight. I increase their calories. Same response every time, they freak out and worry about getting fatter. I force them to keep a diet journal to ensure they're eating what I prescribe. The ones that follow the plan are always equally freaked out when they lose 10 pounds the first 3 weeks.

At the start you're actually going to be in what appears to be a calorie surplus, but losing fat regardless.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

So question for you guys. I'm on day 10 now. Body has adjusted the last bit that I needed it to (no more headaches, not nearly as hangry). I find myself looking for breakfast around 9:30 otherwise I have no issue going my 16/17 hours. However what I am still struggling with is feeling bloated / sick / queezy when I break my fast. I've tried all the tips I've read so far. Eating high protein (tried Edamame beans, yogurt, beans, mini-meatloafs). I've tried eating really slowly (10 minutes to eat a yogurt). Of all the ones, eating really really slow seems the 'best' but it is far from good.

Is this just something more to get used to? Is this always going to happen? Or am I doing something wrong.

As an aside, this is great actually. I didn't find it too hard to go on 16:8, finishing eating around 6:30pm and eating early around 10:30. Had a bit of stomach troubles earlier this week adjusting but overall I actually like it. I feel quite good already.
    Cos...

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Sure you can. Probably won't gain any fat though.
    As someone that tracks almost everything you do get fat even when consuming alot of healthy food lol.
    When I'm going through intense traing blocks I up everything for recovery. I sit around 12-14% bf and near the end of the block I'll be hitting 17-18 with a higher lbm.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    So question for you guys. I'm on day 10 now. Body has adjusted the last bit that I needed it to (no more headaches, not nearly as hangry). I find myself looking for breakfast around 9:30 otherwise I have no issue going my 16/17 hours. However what I am still struggling with is feeling bloated / sick / queezy when I break my fast. I've tried all the tips I've read so far. Eating high protein (tried Edamame beans, yogurt, beans, mini-meatloafs). I've tried eating really slowly (10 minutes to eat a yogurt). Of all the ones, eating really really slow seems the 'best' but it is far from good.

Is this just something more to get used to? Is this always going to happen? Or am I doing something wrong.

As an aside, this is great actually. I didn't find it too hard to go on 16:8, finishing eating around 6:30pm and eating early around 10:30. Had a bit of stomach troubles earlier this week adjusting but overall I actually like it. I feel quite good already.
    Honestly man, I did not experience any kind of issues in the slightest like this so I can't really comment other th?an saying maybe you have a sensitivity to a specific food

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I had a similar issue. I felt like crap after I ate. Its just one of those things where your body is adjusting.
    To be fair, its only day 10. Wait till you week the 4th or 6th week.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Move away from eating Yogurt. They can have a crap ton of sugars and refined products.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Just an update. Been on 28 days so far. Couple cheat days, couple days of 15.5 hours, couple got close to 20 hours but on the whole averaging pretty good. Down 5lbs in that time but more-so is where the weight has moved that has been huge. My belly is down massive and people have noticed.

As for the upset stomach issues. I still have it day to day. I find it is related to 2 things. 1 is a lot of coffee, so if I drink a ton of coffee before breaking the fast it really is the shits. Second is what I break my fast with. Anything high carb is a no-no. Have to break it with proteins (eggs, sausage and cheeses, etc).
    Cos...

Just an update. Been on 28 days so far. Couple cheat days, couple days of 15.5 hours, couple got close to 20 hours but on the whole averaging pretty good. Down 5lbs in that time but more-so is where the weight has moved that has been huge. My belly is down massive and people have noticed.

As for the upset stomach issues. I still have it day to day. I find it is related to 2 things. 1 is a lot of coffee, so if I drink a ton of coffee before breaking the fast it really is the shits. Second is what I break my fast with. Anything high carb is a no-no. Have to break it with proteins (eggs, sausage and cheeses, etc).
    Awesome man! Figuring out how to adapt things to your own life and body is key I think.

I just weighed myself this morning and I am down to 261 so that means 61 pounds down with 51 of tht being from the beginning of September until now.

Attempted a 5 day water only fast.... made it to day 4 as had some pretty bad heartburn from it. Definably a different feeling. From what I've read on it, it's only necessary to do this once a year to basically promote cell regeneration of stem cells and clean out all the old stuff. So weird taking a shit even tho you haven't ate in 4 days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_10 View Post
    Attempted a 5 day water only fast.... made it to day 4 as had some pretty bad heartburn from it. Definably a different feeling. From what I've read on it, it's only necessary to do this once a year to basically promote cell regeneration of stem cells and clean out all the old stuff. So weird taking a shit even tho you haven't ate in 4 days.
    I feel like that's very different from the daily fasting the rest of these guys are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Is there any actual science behind "cleaning out the old stuff" and cell regeneration? Everything I've heard indicates that our body does a great job of this on it's own.
    (this might be a better topic for a separate thread)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I'm sorry, but this is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Is there any actual science behind "cleaning out the old stuff" and cell regeneration? Everything I've heard indicates that our body does a great job of this on it's own.
    Anything I've read is pretty loose science. There isn't even a lot of very accurate ways to test GH levels that they claim is elevated from this fasting. And even if there is, you won't naturally increase GH levels to anywhere near what you can just shoot into your body. So you're better off to not punish yourself and just take GH or GHRP.

Right from the start of this fad in the fitness industry before it became mainstream, my best educated guess was that the results most people were seeing was mainly due to calorie restriction. And if you are going to do a backwards diet of calorie restriction, IF is probably the best way to do it. I don't think you're starving long enough to cause any metabolic damage, assuming you're getting in a healthy amount of calories in your eating window.

Science wise I'm neutral for now. But if overeating of poor value calories is your problem, then IF can definitely work. And as I mentioned earlier, the best diet won't work if it isn't applied or adhered to. IF is great for people that struggle with that.
    Last edited by Misterman; 11-29-2018 at 05:41 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    What he is referring to is probably the same idea as putting yourself into a state of ketosis... body starts to eat itself, starting with damaged cells, joe rogan had a podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick and she talks on this a bit (msommers linked a clip of it earlier in this thread)

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This is interesting. How do you feel mentally? How are the hunger pangs..?

I went to a lecture given in Calgary a few years back. It was by a professor who was one of the medical advisors to the Clinton Administration. It was related to water fasting.

The lecture and research was interesting. The body does to start clear itself out though it depends on how long you have been doing it. There was also a discussion on saunas and sweating that was related to this. When you start to sweat it is beneficial, but its more of the oily sweat. The kind when you have been in the sauna for a while and not 10 minutes.
    The was discussion on 3 day fasts and building up to 7 day fasts. The professor mentioned not just to google research. He had read hundred on papers on water and its effect on the body.
    Does the urine go completely clear? What are your energy levels like..?

The struggle was definitely real on day three and would say that is the TSN turning point of things. The hunger pangs were strong on day three but I found it to only be in the evenings when I was at home and bored. I have already been full keto and IF for well over a year now so that definitely helps. I would say it was 90% a mental challenge more then anything and was more of an experiment for me as I have a few autoimmune issues. I did lose 5lbs in the process and that was the flatest my stomach has ever been in years.
    Urine was not crystal clear as I did not over do the water otherwise it would of caused me to be dehydrated. I was still able to do my StrongLifts routine but it was more difficult than normal. I am a bit of a Joe Rogan/Rhonda Patrick/valter longo sheep but it’s definitely something I would recommend everyone to at least try once a year.

My Ride
    V8s

So no science. Got it.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast