Intermittent fasting - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So no science. Got it.
    Ffs... I just wasted so much time looking up the scientific word for it... autophagy

Look it up, try again

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Ffs... I just wasted so much time looking up the scientific word for it... autophagy

Look it up, try again
    I wasn't referring to IF, I was referring to only water for 5 days.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Same concept, but on steroids. I think a lot of people doing IF probably aren’t even getting to that point as coffee starts the metabolic process and you really need to keep that to under a 9hr window for the full effect

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Same concept, but on steroids. I think a lot of people doing IF probably aren’t even getting to that point as coffee starts the metabolic process and you really need to keep that to under a 9hr window for the full effect
    Interesting. First google link says effects of autophagy peak at 12-16 hrs and falls off after 2 days. Either way, I'm not about to fast for 5 days so I'll stop cluttering up the thread.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Interesting. First google link says effects of autophagy peak at 12-16 hrs and falls off after 2 days. Either way, I'm not about to fast for 5 days so I'll stop cluttering up the thread.
    Yeah I think that would be overkill if you are already practicing some sort of fasting regularly... but could see it as beneficial once a year if not.

My Ride
    G37X

I never knew about the science behind it, but with the exception of weekends I have black coffee, a small blended smoothie and a sunrype bar from when I get up at 7 AM until I have lunch at 1 PM. Combined with working out 2-3 times a week HIT and I can see abs no fat burners or supplements.

Oh my bad, I thought you were talking about IF.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Back on IF, plus whole30.. 180 as of Monday, we'll see where we end up. Lots of biking, soccer, ski touring

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I never knew about the science behind it, but with the exception of weekends I have black coffee, a small blended smoothie and a sunrype bar from when I get up at 7 AM until I have lunch at 1 PM. Combined with working out 2-3 times a week HIT and I can see abs no fat burners or supplements.
    Don't want to jump all over what you have in the AM but you might do better without the Sunrype bar. That thing will be full of sugar and carbs. Plus you're most likely doubling up the sugar with fruit in the smoothie.
    Just a suggestion: Nuts or eggs if you find you are plateauing.

Since this has been bumped I might as well talk abut my progress...

Back at the end of November I posted I was down to 261lbs. Starting in December things started getting into full Christmas holiday season which of course means ridiculous dinners, baking, drinking etc, are all around you. I ended up having 6 monster dinners and all the fixings that go along with them over the month, and by the middle of December I was "cheating" quite a lot. Having the pumpkin pie... Having the potatoes and gravy... Having the Christmas baking... All of it. Definitely not as heavily as I would have in years past, but also definitely more than I would have considered good. The thing I did do well still was sticking to the intermittent fasting times. I did not look at the scale once over this time because even though I was enjoying the food, I was really disappointed with myself and my eating decisions.

Move forward to January 1st and I woke up and decided I was ready to re-commit to eating well on top of the IF and went to weigh myself. I looked down waiting for the number to pop up with dread and was shocked when 255lbs was the value! I was shocked! I seriously had expected that I would have gained a good 10lbs back at least. I can't quite explain it but I think that just sticking with the IF times strictly is the only reason I didn't put the wait back on because I was definitely not eating as clean as I had been used to.

Move ahead to today and I was 251lbs this morning so I can officially say I am down over 70lbs! I never thought I would hear myself say that! Whoot!! Feeling great and back on track... 100lbs weight loss, here I come!!
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-10-2019 at 02:29 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Move ahead to today and I was 251lbs this morning so I can officially say I am down over 70lbs! I never thought I would hear myself say that! Whoot!! Feeling great and back on track... 100lbs weight loss, here I come!!

Bob, that is awesome! well done! are you doing much exercise as well, or juts IF?

My Ride
    14' 435i

Down under 200lbs myself for the first time in over 3 years. Lost 9lbs since Jan 1. IF has been hit or miss, but also took out alot of sugar and booze from my diet recently, started thermal workouts to cut as well.

Goal weight is 185 and RIPPED haha

Great to hear IF is working well for so many of you. Curious to know if anyone here has had a full physical and blood test before and after an extended period of IF. Losing weight is great but I'm curious to know if it also helps with other factors such as cholesterol.

I find its hard to overindulge on IF even if you have big dinners because you have to stop eating at certain times. My alcohol intake has gone way down because I stop eating around 7 or 8pm at night. Prior to IF I'd usually enjoy a beer or two in the evenings while catching a game that runs til 10 or 11pm. The downside is its definitely taken a lot out of relaxation/enjoyment of watching games on a week night but the weight control has been worth it. Most IF plans do allow for 1 or 2 cheat days a week which makes weekends that much better.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

TIREBOB - have you adjusted your alcohol consumption during the non-fast part at all? Im a late night drinker as well, vodka+water+5% juice.... and I was trying IF like this (9pm- 12pm) as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    started thermal workouts to cut as well.
    So you are trying to get rid of water from your body? Its good to do on occasion, but all it does is get rid of more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Great to hear IF is working well for so many of you. Curious to know if anyone here has had a full physical and blood test before and after an extended period of IF. Losing weight is great but I'm curious to know if it also helps with other factors such as cholesterol.
    By chance, I had my cholesterol tested before starting IF and after one year of IF. Dropped my LDL from 4.15 mmol/L to almost normal at 3.56 mmol/L.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Bob, that is awesome! well done! are you doing much exercise as well, or juts IF?
    I am not exercising per say because I really fucking hate exercise just for the sake of it, but I definitely am being a lot more active. I live out in the forest and spend a lot more time hiking with the dog, cutting and splitting deadfall around the property, shoveling snow rather than using the snowblower and things like that. I wish I had the mindset to be able to hit the gym etc but I just can't fucking stand the environment and cannot stick with it. When I am done work I don't really want to be around people at all lol!

I have not but will be going in for my annual physical soon and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    TIREBOB - have you adjusted your alcohol consumption during the non-fast part at all? Im a late night drinker as well, vodka+water+5% juice.... and I was trying IF like this (9pm- 12pm) as well.
    I definitely drink a lot less these days. I do not often drink much for quantity anyways, but rather than have one or two scotches most evenings like I used to I maybe have one or two nights a week where I will enjoy a single scotch and maybe once a month or so when we have guests over for an evening dinner or the like I will have a few scotches or share a bottle of wine or two. I really only get drunk (anything over a middling buzz) maybe a few times a year to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Since this has been bumped I might as well talk abut my progress...

Back at the end of November I posted I was down to 261lbs. Starting in December things started getting into full Christmas holiday season which of course means ridiculous dinners, baking, drinking etc, are all around you. I ended up having 6 monster dinners and all the fixings that go along with them over the month, and by the middle of December I was "cheating" quite a lot. Having the pumpkin pie... Having the potatoes and gravy... Having the Christmas baking... All of it. Definitely not as heavily as I would have in years past, but also definitely more than I would have considered good. The thing I did do well still was sticking to the intermittent fasting times. I did not look at the scale once over this time because even though I was enjoying the food, I was really disappointed with myself and my eating decisions.

Move forward to January 1st and I woke up and decided I was ready to re-commit to eating well on top of the IF and went to weigh myself. I looked down waiting for the number to pop up with dread and was shocked when 255lbs was the value! I was shocked! I seriously had expected that I would have gained a good 10lbs back at least. I can't quite explain it but I think that just sticking with the IF times strictly is the only reason I didn't put the wait back on because I was definitely not eating as clean as I had been used to.

Awesome progress!! Way to go!

If you had been combining calorie restriction with the IF, you probably benefitted from a good re-feed like that.

What you eat actually doesn't have a ton of effect on your cholesterol. The single best thing you can do to create a healthy cholesterol profile is to take a good fiber supplement. Hands down I think Fiberlyze by Species Nutrition. Most people just assume that Benefiber or something like that is good. But You want the optimal ratio of soluble AND insoluble fiber to really see the benefits.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

So you are trying to get rid of water from your body? Its good to do on occasion, but all it does is get rid of more water.
    Doing Thermal, more as HIIT than like body suit sweating type stuff. Just keeping HR over 150 for 45-60 mins to burn fat. I intake on average 6L of water a day.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What you eat actually doesn't have a ton of effect on your cholesterol. The single best thing you can do to create a healthy cholesterol profile is to take a good fiber supplement. Hands down I think Fiberlyze by Species Nutrition. Most people just assume that Benefiber or something like that is good. But You want the optimal ratio of soluble AND insoluble fiber to really see the benefits.
    Im no expert, but i was under the impression that its the RATIO of 'good' vs 'bad' cholesterol that is the most important in your body. Having X mg/l of bad cholesterol by itself means nothing,

In essence, you can supplement with omega and other essential oils to bring up the good ratio.

My Ride
    M3P

@tirebob - that's awesome man!

I did not have as much luck. Within a 12 day span over the Holidays I gained 35lbs while going to the gym 11 out of those 12 days.

I did not however stick to IF and I was consuming more calories (sugars/carbs etc) than I normally would. We'll say more than double on average per day. I am curious if I had stuck to that fasting window if my weight would have fluctuated as much.

After a week in the gym, back to IF and watching my calories/carbs I've shed 25 of those pounds which I imagine were mostly water weight.

I feel great again and know that I've been building steady muscle under all the skin/fat.

My body is fucking broken though. I could have one night where I drink or have pizza etc and next morning scale reflects a 10lb surplus.

I've learned through my 30 some odd years on the planet that when it comes to weight/exercise/gains and growth that you can't really have any expectations as they generally only cause the wrong mindset and often causes setbacks or lead to disappointment etc.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast