Quantcast
Intermittent fasting - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're breaking your fast with a cookie... that's really spiking you're insulin levels. Try for eggs or avocado or some nuts.

Intermittent Fasting is not all about cutting caloric intake to below healthy levels.
    Also this Keto stuff is out of hand. Some of the things I see people eating and thinking they're Keto is hilarous.
    Lots of good info posted here. And yes no need to go Keto unless you're a diabetic.

I practice IF, eating window of 1-9pm. However I still meet my daily caloric goals, Macros and keeps me at a regulated body weight (body fat %). 600 calories is not enough to stay healthy. I get it most people want to lose weight to not be fat, but at the end of the day you need to remember the end goal is also health.

I am 34, 183lbs with a caloric intake of 2300 calories it is quite a significant deficit based off my activity level and such. My first meal of the day is 1 cup fiber cereal, 2 chicken breast, 1 serving of rice and 3 servings of vegetables.

In the evenings it's a tad more relaxed, I can either fill my fat requirements by having a treat or fattier meats (lean steak or ground beef) but still eat something like pasta with veg and such. IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowz View Post
    I practice IF, eating window of 1-9pm. However I still meet my daily caloric goals, Macros and keeps me at a regulated body weight (body fat %). 600 calories is not enough to stay healthy. I get it most people want to lose weight to not be fat, but at the end of the day you need to remember the end goal is also health.
    600 calories days is different from the "16 & 8" type of IF you're doing. On the "5 & 2" IF plan you have 2 days a week when you're only consuming 600 calories. The other 5 days of the week you can eat as you normally would. 600 calories is low for a day but it is a fast after all. The point is to starve your body for a set period of time in order to do repair & recycling work. There's studies showing 5 & 2 is easier to stick to than daily caloric restriction with the same benefits.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by shadowz View Post
    IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.
    I think it's also dependant on your window though...
    I set myself up on a 3hr window where I ate like crap. It worked really well for the 1 month I committed to it, but it also made me very inflexible with eating out with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    If you're breaking your fast with a cookie... that's really spiking you're insulin levels. Try for eggs or avocado or some nuts.

Intermittent Fasting is not all about cutting caloric intake to below healthy levels.
    Also this Keto stuff is out of hand. Some of the things I see people eating and thinking they're Keto is hilarous.
    I love this crap...

At the end of the day, its calories in vs calories out and how you manage around the nutrition you require to sustain or repair your body

my neighbor was Paleo, then Keto... so he basically went on an on about how he eats all things organic or as close or as high quality as he could and how fats were good for him (which fats are essential yes) but in turn... he was a fat fuck, his wife was fat and his kids were fat

like WTF -- how do you think buying spulumbo's in bulk is fucking any good for you, you fat fuck. Eat your carrots and potatoes and keep telling me how your ancestors thrived on a diet that resulted in them to die at the age of 35, by drinking river water, organic foods and pollution free air.

then he went Keto lol... then it was like, I can eat as much as I want as long as its not a carb or simple sugar.

I'm like buddy, you sitting there in front of your computer shoving sausage down your face is not going to get your body into ketosis

jesus fuck idiots.

now intermittent fasting, yes it works. I don't agree its required, but if I were to think about it, when I used to train and cut for boxing... though I know I could train harder with food in my stomach, I didn't on advise of my coach and he was right... I burned WAAAY more fat training hungry and avoiding eating late into the evening.

Whether or whatever it was called (or wasn't) this worked to help cut weight and fat fast... its painful, unsustainable especially if you couple this to a intense anaerobic and aerobic regimen.

These days, I do a bit of this from time to time, just drinking coffee as a stimulant... but what burns weight fast? Supplement your hockey, soccer, workoutroutine, whatever with HEAVY squats and Deadlifts.

Do them often, do them heavy and you'll see such a different in your muscle development and increase in metabolism.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I want to try this but I NEED coffee in the morning. So I still shoot for 12 hours (finishing eating ~7pm, eat breakfast/coffee ~7am).

Drinking coffee isn't fasting, water only. Matty needs his caffeine!

Two different people can eat the exact same thing over a day, and one can be in keto while the other isn't. It's very individual.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    4Runner

Theres mixed feelings about black coffee during the fasting period. been doing IF for the past 2 years drinking 1 cup of black coffee in the morning, i still have seen very good results. Some weeks i dont drink coffee and just water, and my body and weight stays the same as i would have if I drank black coffee.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I want to try this but I NEED coffee in the morning. So I still shoot for 12 hours (finishing eating ~7pm, eat breakfast/coffee ~7am).

Drinking coffee isn't fasting, water only. Matty needs his caffeine!

Two different people can eat the exact same thing over a day, and one can be in keto while the other isn't. It's very individual.
    Drink that coffee black and don’t worry about it... close up the food window to 6-8hrs. Whole point is to not have your body processing calories (which black coffee doesn’t contain in any meaningful amounts) so it can use stores as fuel and also focus on repairs instead of digestion

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Drink that coffee black and don’t worry about it... close up the food window to 6-8hrs. Whole point is to not have your body processing calories (which black coffee doesn’t contain in any meaningful amounts) so it can use stores as fuel and also focus on repairs instead of digestion
    This, black coffee or tea is fasting. it's once you put sugar or milk that breaks fasting.
    although I heard people preaching bulletproof coffee but it doesnt do a thing for me.

I only have a glass of water in the morning, then 15-18km bike ride to work then a cup of black coffee by 8am. breakfast around 9:30-10am and last meal of the day before 4pm.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Bulletproof makes no sense... you’re supposed to be burning what’s already in you, not 150% of your daily fat intake in your stomach

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    Theres mixed feelings about black coffee during the fasting period. been doing IF for the past 2 years drinking 1 cup of black coffee in the morning, i still have seen very good results. Some weeks i dont drink coffee and just water, and my body and weight stays the same as i would have if I drank black coffee.
    After looking back through where I first heard about this (JRE podcast #901 and Dr. Satchin Panda w/ Dr. Rhonda Patrick interview), it's not as black and white as I was led to believe.

Now that said, either side of the argument is a grey area so do as you please.

I still aim for a 12-13 hour non-eating period daily.

Here's the clip specific to what I was pointing to above:

Last edited by msommers; 06-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    After looking back through where I first heard about this (JRE podcast #901 and Dr. Satchin Panda w/ Dr. Rhonda Patrick interview), it's not as black and white as I was led to believe.

Now that said, either side of the argument is a grey area so do as you please.

I still aim for a 12-13 hour non-eating period daily.

Here's the clip specific to what I was pointing to above:
    I believe to achieve any meaningful results, the fast needs to last longer, like 16-18 hours. Most of what I've read on IF says that you don't enter a fat burning state until 12 hours after your last meal...

Been doing 8/16 since March 10th - down about 22 lbs, seem to be maintaining muscle mass and strength.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's awesome to hear you're down that much, well done! Can you point to me some of the articles you've read?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^watched the rogan podcast... turns out I’m doing both! 9-10hr total window.. cause by the time I get around to making coffee it’s 10 or 11am... and I eat 2-8pm

Also workout after coffee... so getting the metabolism started for the day... burning stores, getting the after burn effects then eating. Dunno if it gets any better than that for every school of thought on fat burning

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Been doing 16/8 for a few weeks, I'll probably turn it up a notch with 18/6 because sometimes I feel like Ill eat my meal and still have an hour or so left in the window and I just end up snacking because I can.

My Ride
    V167

Great thread. I've gained a few lbs over the past 2 years, had magical results with intermittent fasting in the past. Have just started 16/8, black coffee only in the AM. Looking forward to the losses!

My Ride
    M3P

I did intermittent fasting about 9 years ago paired with a Low Carb diet and it helped me lose over 200lbs in approx 16 months. (minimal exercise). I have fluctuated weight since because I have a volatile relationship with food and in the past have had difficulty staying on track or being responsible with my eating habits.

No excuses! At the end of 2017 I had gotten back to hefty territory (280ish) and had to make a change. I started again in January with about 13-16 hour fast window and 1200 calories daily, lower carb (no sugars/grains/restriction on refined food (200G protein) with 6 days of heavy lifting and have dropped approx 45lbs. Often times I feel like shit when I have cheat meals or drink booze but my body seems to be metabolizing food much better than it ever has. I have consistent gains in my exercises, tons more energy and clothing is fitting excellent. It's nice when people you see every day take notice and ask how they can also make a change. I am 10 weeks out from my wedding and I am going to try to squeak out another 20lb weight loss. (2lb/week) while maintaining and growing muscle mass. Best of luck to everyone in this thread and kudos to those making meaningful changes!

Also sidebar - It's really important to take note what @shadowz said
    IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 06-19-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: fixed date

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I didn't even know it but always have done 16+ hour fasting and a small eating window ever since I was a kid.
    Key is to do something you can maintain long term, or else you end up yo-yo-ing.

It's a lot more healthy and respectable for that matter for someone who loses 50 lb and kept it off consistently with gains in their exercises, than someone who loses 100 but gains 50 back. Another thing is, start changing yourself now instead of waiting until you can't handle yourself anymore.

This is a real life situation I've seen in the last couple years and other similar cases too but less drastic:

Oh, I'm only 20 lb overweight, it's okay.
    Oh, I'm only 30 lb overweight, ah I should work out.
    Oh, I'm 40 lb overweight, ah I really should do something but work is busy.
    Oh, I'm 60 lb overweight, bleh... I feel like shit.
    I'm 100 lb overweight, fuck it I can't stand it. Time to work out.

*loses 70 lb within 8 months, then gains back 40 lb over next 12*

My Ride
    rally pig

^pretty much why I like IF, it's not really a diet plan but rather a lifestyle change.

the only thing that really changed for me is no eating breakfast until after 9:30am, then stop eating again after 5:30pm

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

And it's very individual, diets especially.

As mentioned, maintaining a consistent change means changing your lifestyle, which is hard. Establishing that routine takes a lot of work but eventually you get to a point where you don't remember, you just do it because that's normal now.

Yo-yoing is dangerous and unfortunately quite common.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I did intermittent fasting about 9 years ago paired with a Low Carb diet and it helped me lose over 200lbs in approx 16 months. (minimal exercise). I have fluctuated weight since because I have a volatile relationship with food and in the past have had difficulty staying on track or being responsible with my eating habits.

No excuses! At the end of 2017 I had gotten back to hefty territory (280ish) and had to make a change. I started again in January with about 13-16 hour fast window and 1200 calories daily, lower carb (no sugars/grains/restriction on refined food (200G protein) with 6 days of heavy lifting and have dropped approx 45lbs. Often times I feel like shit when I have cheat meals or drink booze but my body seems to be metabolizing food much better than it ever has. I have consistent gains in my exercises, tons more energy and clothing is fitting excellent. It's nice when people you see every day take notice and ask how they can also make a change. I am 10 weeks out from my wedding and I am going to try to squeak out another 20lb weight loss. (2lb/week) while maintaining and growing muscle mass. Best of luck to everyone in this thread and kudos to those making meaningful changes!

Also sidebar - It's really important to take note what @shadowz said
    You are the best bro. You went from a white man Biggie Smalls to this GQ slick macking sauve Diddy.

This thread needs pics of before and after on IF

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast