Quantcast
Intermittent fasting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting

Default Intermittent fasting

Been wanting to try it for years now and finally going to get started. I was surprised to learn there's lots of different ways to go about it. I was going to do the 5 & 2 approach (2 days out of a week only eat 600 calories/day). The 16 hour daily fast (only eat between noon and 8pm) seems reasonably easy to to also. Anyone tried IF and how did you like it? Was one method easier than the others?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

"16 hour daily fast" is what I've always done. Coffee (no sugar) and a cookie for breakfast, or no breakfast if it's a lazy weekend day and I'm getting up at noon. Medium sized lunch and dinner, and no snacking. You don't always need to feel full.

I've been the same weight for a decade.

Have you tried intermittent fisting?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Ive been doing this on and off since the end of last year. I posted on another old thread about cutting out sugars, gluten etc.

But more specifically on the fasting..I avoid eating late and I eat around 11am and again around 5-6pm. I avoid 'Canadian size portions'.
    I found the hunger pangs became less severe if I ate clean. To put in perspective if I ate junk the cravings were super severe (as they were to begin with).

Since I got back from South East Asia I have been continuing to eat once or twice a day. I only could eat like this as it was so hot there. If I get hungry I drink a full glass of water or I make myself tea/coffee.
    Its had positive effects on my weight, moods and my long term sickness.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Love it... I do 2-8pm eating window... eat terribly, kinda ruin it on weekends with drinking and the odd late night eat... kill about 800ml of strong coffee in the mornings... do about 10min of light body resistant exercises in the morning and am down from 215lbs to about 188lbs... but am more toned at 188 than I ever was when I was 180. It’s been about 5 months and I could probably be at a full six pack by the end of the summer? It’s crazy how well it works and how simple it is to follow. I’m at a point now where I’m actually forcing myself to eat MORE (to positive results) cause it’s actually hard to eat enough calories in 6hrs

Super easy to stick with, and I don’t have to worry about any macros or other bs

I am contemplating full keto though... for that six pack goal.

Also strength wise it’s been great, probably tripled my pushups, and I am never sore from working out. Recovery time has been amazing

Interesting to hear that you guys are still trying to eat clean on this diet. I thought one of the benefits of the diet is you get to eat whatever you want during your eating windows and you still reap all the benefits. I'm hoping to turn this into a long term eating schedule since my metabolism is only going downhill from here and any diet is only as good as the length of time you're on it.

Sounds like everyone is so far is doing the 16-18 hour daily fast. Just skip breakfast everyday but you still have to keep the diet on weekends which is a big downside if you're out late. Potentially you'd be out past 2am and can't eat anything. I'm a bit of a night owl so this part would be brutal.

I'm slightly leaning towards the 5 & 2. Fast on Mondays & Thursdays, eat & drink whatever I want on all other days including weekends. Tried out the 600 calorie day today on the 5 & 2 and I couldn't make it past 6pm haha. Had a tough time getting over the hunger pangs, couldn't think straight, and felt like fainting during my afternoon workout. I could probably get past this with better planning (my meals were Subway sandwiches). 600 calories of boiled eggs or something would keep me fuller for longer.

Keep the ideas coming.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I haven't done any of these on a regular basis but if I have to restrict my calories I'd prefer to have them earlier in the day instead of later. 2-8pm sounds like torture, but 8am-2pm sounds actually easy. Going to bed hungry is no. Issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Afternoon makes more sense cause coffee suppresses appetite really well... and you really don’t want to be drinking that in the evening!

I also wouldn’t worry much about breaking the window on the odd weekend, not really a massive negative effect

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I haven't done any of these on a regular basis but if I have to restrict my calories I'd prefer to have them earlier in the day instead of later. 2-8pm sounds like torture, but 8am-2pm sounds actually easy. Going to bed hungry is no. Issue for me.
    I find missing breakfast a lot easier than being hungry in the afternoon especially since I tend to be busier more in the afternoon plus that way you can have dinner with your family.

Been doing IF since October last year, went straight to 6/18 with no problem and dropped 20lbs within 6 weeks.
    Since April though, I've been slacking and doing 8/16 during weekday and 9/15 on weekends.

Still having 3/4 meals a day but because of the shorter eating window, I tend not to eat as much.
    A cup of coffee around 8am to start my day, lots of tea and water during the day, first meal usually kicks in after 9:30am and last meal before 3:30pm. (Lately though I've been eating dinner at home after 5pm so that mother-in-law doesn't think that I dont like her cooking )

I used to think that I had to have coffee and breakfast at 6am before riding my bike to work, but I actually feel stronger with an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Interesting to hear that you guys are still trying to eat clean on this diet. I thought one of the benefits of the diet is you get to eat whatever you want during your eating windows and you still reap all the benefits. I'm hoping to turn this into a long term eating schedule since my metabolism is only going downhill from here and any diet is only as good as the length of time you're on it.
    I eat like crap, my breakfast (9:30am) is usually from Ollys (god bless their buffet section), 4-5 strips of bacon and 1-2 eggs for less than 3$ most of the time.
    Lunch(1pm) again is random salad/hot meal again from Ollys and usually my dinner is left over food that I bring from home that I eat at work before heading home (3:30pm)
    Last edited by taemo; 06-07-2018 at 10:41 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Sounds like everyone is so far is doing the 16-18 hour daily fast. Just skip breakfast everyday but you still have to keep the diet on weekends which is a big downside if you're out late. Potentially you'd be out past 2am and can't eat anything. I'm a bit of a night owl so this part would be brutal.

I'm slightly leaning towards the 5 & 2. Fast on Mondays & Thursdays, eat & drink whatever I want on all other days including weekends. Tried out the 600 calorie day today on the 5 & 2 and I couldn't make it past 6pm haha. Had a tough time getting over the hunger pangs, couldn't think straight, and felt like fainting during my afternoon workout. I could probably get past this with better planning (my meals were Subway sandwiches). 600 calories of boiled eggs or something would keep me fuller for longer.

Keep the ideas coming.
    Back in the UK about ten years ago I did something similar albeit slightly different.
    Monday to Friday I would eat sensible. No junk food, no fizzy drinks and a proper meal in the evening (I lived with parents). Then on weekends I could eat what I want. The problem is you get so used to eating clean. So one time on the weekend I had friend chicken and Mc Donalds. After the first bite. I just could not eat the rest. I felt sick.

As for the 600 Calories. Stick with it or adjust it slightly. It is a bit of a shock to the system. The body does adapt. I did this last October around the 700-1000 range. The first three weeks are hell. I thought I was going nuts.

Another question for peeps doing this. Since you're constantly on a calorie deficit by eating 2 meals each day wouldn't you eventually turn into a twig? I don't understand how your body can maintain muscle mass if you're permanently not consuming enough calories to sustain itself. My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You should be maintaining a normal intake of calories still when doing IF everyday... that’s what my comment of “it’s hard to eat enough” was eluding to

My Ride
    TypeR

Another question for peeps doing this. Since you're constantly on a calorie deficit by eating 2 meals each day wouldn't you eventually turn into a twig? I don't understand how your body can maintain muscle mass if you're permanently not consuming enough calories to sustain itself. My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.
    I've done this many times because its easier on my stomach to eat 2x a day vs 5-6 and I track for the most part. I dont really see a difference in terms of weight loss doing this vs eating normal other then it being easier to prep.
    This week

Wake up have coffee at 9am

Meal 1 Shake after workout at 4pm
    2 scoops of protien
    1/2 cups of oats
    mct oil (high in calories)
    fruit
    juice or milk

Meal 2 10pm
    4-5 burger patties from costco
    1 cup of brown rice
    2 cups of black beans
    As much green veggies as possible

This puts me around 165-190g of protein depending how i make my shake or if i eat extra meat or black beans

I tend to keep my fats high so i stay full longer but that all preference. In the end though its all calories in vs calories out so if you dont have the numbers where they need to be you will lose gains and not lose fat. If you are eating shit fasting does nothing and you can literally achieve the same results (putting on muscle and losing fat) by tracking and eating normal.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Depending on your body type, fat etc. It depends. It will go in different stages....well for me it did..
    For example I lost 20lb October to Dec. I still had a lot of body fat hanging off. I went from 185lb to 164lb and stayed there.

In SE Asia March to May. I lost muscle mass, but I slowed this down by eating just protein and no carbs. The fat I had melted away very slowly. But none of my trousers or travel shorts would fit me in SE Asia. Everything kept falling off, but my weight stayed at 164lb.

The body gets really efficient in burning fat. It adapts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    "16 hour daily fast" is what I've always done. Coffee (no sugar) and a cookie for breakfast
    If you're breaking your fast with a cookie... that's really spiking you're insulin levels. Try for eggs or avocado or some nuts.

Intermittent Fasting is not all about cutting caloric intake to below healthy levels.
    Also this Keto stuff is out of hand. Some of the things I see people eating and thinking they're Keto is hilarous.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

You mean Ramadan??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.
    Waitasecond... I'm not a huge supporter of BMI in general, but if you're already under the "normal" range, why are you trying to drop more weight?

My Ride
    NC1

It's nice seeing abs daily

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    Waitasecond... I'm not a huge supporter of BMI in general, but if you're already under the "normal" range, why are you trying to drop more weight?
    Sorry bad wording I meant I'm within the normal BMI range. I'm around the 24 mark now. Have a feeling that if I don't do something I'll keep sliding up into the overweight category as I get older. I used to be right in the middle of the healthy range at 22.

Quote Originally Posted by EK 2.0 View Post
    You mean Ramadan??
    Non-Brown Ramadan.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

12-8 every day. No calories at all in the morning. None.

I've been able to maintain 190-193lbs, 10-12% BF for the past 3 years easily following IF.

It works.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast