Quantcast
Red light camera got me when I didn't run red light. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red light camera got me when I didn't run red light.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Red light camera got me when I didn't run red light.

Video below.

I was approaching my red light and noticed that the cross traffic green was going to red. Anticipating this, I slowed but didn't stop over the induction loop. The bright flash you see in the video is the flash from the red light camera. It went off a fraction of a second before my light went green and I was still behind the stop line even!!!! Do you guys think I'm going to receive a ticket in the mail? Do I have a case against it?

Timestamp in the video is incorrect. I was heading southbound on Gaetz Ave (50th Ave) at the intersection with 59th St in Red Deer.

Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

No ticket.
    /thread

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No ticket.
    /thread

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The cameras flash a lot. I'd guess 90% of those flashes don't result in a ticket. You won't get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You won't get a ticket. The only way to get a ticket is if they have two photos - one of you before the intersection with a red light, and one with you entering on the red. Even if you break the intersection on a yellow, you won't get a ticket. The cameras are set up such that it has to be pretty blatant.

Those flashes are a driving hazard in the night time IMO. They are flashing drivers with light WAY brighter than high beams, and mostly for no reason (they malfunction all the time).

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You won't get a ticket. The only way to get a ticket is if they have two photos - one of you before the intersection with a red light, and one with you entering on the red. Even if you break the intersection on a yellow, you won't get a ticket. The cameras are set up such that it has to be pretty blatant.

Those flashes are a driving hazard in the night time IMO. They are flashing drivers with light WAY brighter than high beams, and mostly for no reason (they malfunction all the time).
    you think that's bad? try living a couple blocks away from one (9 ave and 11 st sw calgary) and having constant flashes in your bedroom at all hours of the day lol. Would not recommend.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    90% of drivers have no clue they're being flashed at anyways...

On topic: is it true they can't ticket you for speed-on-green if there is a car driving next to you?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yeah as others have said it’s designed that when the light is red and you enter the inductive loops at a decent speed it snaps the first picture and then when you leave the inductive loops it snaps the second picture. Your speed is then calculated based on the two.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

You have video. Easy to win your case if you did get a ticket

/end thread
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    you think that's bad? try living a couple blocks away from one (9 ave and 11 st sw calgary) and having constant flashes in your bedroom at all hours of the day lol. Would not recommend.
    Haha that does sound terrible, sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

On topic: is it true they can't ticket you for speed-on-green if there is a car driving next to you?
    When it's dark they do, I see people looking around wondering wtf that light was, or they seem to think the person behind them flashed their high beams at them. They may not know it's a red light or speed on green camera, but they notice the fact that they are blinded for a second and look at the bright dot every time they blink for the next little while haha.

And the speed on green cameras use induction loops to see what lane you're in, so you can get a ticket with someone beside you. The city publishes their locations and marks them all with giant signs so unless you aren't paying attention you won't get a ticket anyway.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know how all the cameras work, but at least some of them can totally differentiate between vehicles in different lanes. Either with teh induction loops being triggered at different times, or by your location in the two photos, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

at least in calgary, fixed cameras can identify lanes and vehicle mounted units cannot

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Well, I guess the consensus is that I won't get a ticket which makes me feel a little better.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

As stated, zero chance you get a ticket. Your cars plate will most likely not even be visible in the photo since you are quite a ways back from entering the intersection. Also, in Calgary, speed sensing red light cameras use a time interval between crossing a beginning and closing loop. As such, they can tell which lane has a car that is exceeding the speed based on how long it takes that car to proceed through the intersection. If you are traveling 80 in a 50, and slow to 50 before exiting the intersection, you will most likely still receive a ticket based on your average speed.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Well, I guess the consensus is that I won't get a ticket which makes me feel a little better.
    You are not even remotely in the intersection when the flash went off.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

+1 no ticket.

I've gone through intersections going below the speed limit when the light flashed. I don't worry about it but sometimes you're just like wtf haha.

+1, no ticket, just the flash, you should be fine.

My Ride
    Ram SRT-10

I despise this intersection, you come down the hill (60km/hr) and at the bottom they slow it down to 50 which is nearly at the lights with the speed/red camera. Can only imagine the money they make off that setup.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I drive through the 16ave/10street NW interaction all the time and I always always randomly see single flashes, even when no one is remotely close to running or speeding through the lights ( like in your video). I guess that's just what they do.

You're fine.

My Ride
    Axis powers

That’s photo radar

Speed on green, there are sensors in the each lane that detect which lane and how fast, if there’s a car and the photo is obstructed to which the plate can’t be seen then no ticket
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast