Quantcast
By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

Angry By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

So I was visited by a by-law officer today and given a Business Licence Warning Notice. I live in NW Calgary, Hamptons.

TL-DR: Well supposedly, it's illegal to work on cars if they aren't registered at your address; even for family and for free.

We had a chat about the issue and my answer to her question about me doing auto repairs and how often was, I work on my vehicles and I do pretty major repairs like engine rebuilds and clutches, etc. and a 3-4 times a year my uncle comes and I help him do an oil change. I was told this is violating by-law. I even mentioned that I don't charge my uncle for my time, it's just and oil change or putting on winter tires. I was then told it doesn't matter if I charge money or not. I was told I need a business licence to do any work on vehicles that I don't own. She went on to say licences were about $260 a year plus what ever else is needed (AMVIC $250, fire, etc.).

I asked why it's illegal to help family with simple auto repairs and was told that it caused unnecessary traffic on my residential street. Which I went on to ask, if my uncle is coming over to visit, how is that unnecessary traffic. Answer I was given was that's the way it is and I should go to my uncles house to do his auto repairs.

I looked up the by law (32M98) and the law checks out, but this is absurd. I guess this is more a rant but maybe the law needs some looking at. Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.

Opinions anyone?
    Last edited by bensonchuong; 06-14-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Well honestly I feel it is good in regards to keeping shady people from doing under the table, inferior work without proper insurance etc to protect the consumer. You may be just helping family but for every 1 person for that this is true, there are probably 10 or even 100 that are pulling shady business practices and not paying the same taxes legit businesses have to pay and cover.

This all said, bylaw is not going to come by and give you grief unless you have someone complaining about you, so either you have a shitty neighbour problem or you are working more often than 4 times a year because you will have to have pissed somebody off...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Tirebob is right. Bylaw is complaint based and won’t visit unless someone calls them first.

Where are you doing all the work? Because if it was in the garage and only tire swaps and oil changes, no one is even going to know. Maybe family or friends sometimes leave their cars overnight with you? Or you work a lot outside?

Either way, someone was pissed off enough by you fixing cars to keep track of comings and goings for a while and then call bylaw.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I bet there is a way more to this story then OP is letting on. No way what you describe would get someone to call by-law on you.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well honestly I feel it is good in regards to keeping shady people from doing under the table, inferior work without proper insurance etc to protect the consumer. You may be just helping family but for every 1 person for that this is true, there are probably 10 or even 100 that are pulling shady business practices and not paying the same taxes legit businesses have to pay and cover.
    I feel this is good too! FWP but i pay good money to live in a nice area so the last thing i want is a home based mechanic opening up shop beside me lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I bet there is a way more to this story then OP is letting on. No way what you describe would get someone to call by-law on you.
    I didnt want to be the first but im with you. There are shitty neighbors that dont tolerate anything but i suspect theres more going on than a couple oil changes lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
    Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.
    Helping family isn't illegal. Fixing family's cars at your place is. If you really want to help, fix it at their place.

Joe Magliocca is the last person I would associate with not caring about others. Just because he DGAF about you, doesn't mean he doesn't care about everyone else that lives around you.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So I was visited by a by-law officer today and given a Business Licence Warning Notice. I live in NW Calgary, Hamptons (across from not-to-be-named councilor).

TL-DR: Well supposedly, it's illegal to work on cars if they aren't registered at your address; even for family and for free.

We had a chat about the issue and my answer to her question about me doing auto repairs and how often was, I work on my vehicles and I do pretty major repairs like engine rebuilds and clutches, etc. and a 3-4 times a year my uncle comes and I help him do an oil change. I was told this is violating by-law. I even mentioned that I don't charge my uncle for my time, it's just and oil change or putting on winter tires. I was then told it doesn't matter if I charge money or not. I was told I need a business licence to do any work on vehicles that I don't own. She went on to say licences were about $260 a year plus what ever else is needed (AMVIC $250, fire, etc.).

I asked why it's illegal to help family with simple auto repairs and was told that it caused unnecessary traffic on my residential street. Which I went on to ask, if my uncle is coming over to visit, how is that unnecessary traffic. Answer I was given was that's the way it is and I should go to my uncles house to do his auto repairs.

I looked up the by law (32M98) and the law checks out, but this is absurd. I guess this is more a rant but maybe the law needs some looking at. Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.

Opinions anyone?
    It's impossibel to get a license to work on cars at home. she is lying.

that section does not mean anything to you. Did she give you a section oyu are violating? A business is understood to be a business. long hours, expectation of revenue and profit, general public etc. a hobby is not a business. there must be another section that you are violating.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I feel this is good too! FWP but i pay good money to live in a nice area so the last thing i want is a home based mechanic opening up shop beside me lol
    +1

I edited out the counselor, I was merely trying to give a context of where I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Helping family isn't illegal. Fixing family's cars at your place is. If you really want to help, fix it at their place.

Joe Magliocca is the last person I would associate with not caring about others. Just because he DGAF about you, doesn't mean he doesn't care about everyone else that lives around you.
    I edited out the counselor, I was merely trying to give a context of where I lived.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    It's impossibel to get a license to work on cars at home. she is lying.

that section does not mean anything to you. Did she give you a section oyu are violating? A business is understood to be a business. long hours, expectation of revenue and profit, general public etc. a hobby is not a business. there must be another section that you are violating.
    Actually, I was told a business is an activity. It has nothing to do with if you make money or not. And FWIW It's my uncle I don't even charge him for the oil. He'll get me a nice birthday present or something.

- - - Updated - - -

We own 6 vehicles that I maintain and they all have a parking spot off the street (2 in garage, 4 on driveway). Plus my uncles who stops by 3-4 times a year. I do the oil changes and tire swaps. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.

My Ride
    V8s

Agreed.

Bet the driveway/street is covered in oil stains. haha

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Agreed.

Bet the driveway/street is covered in oil stains. haha
    I'm fine if someone called because they though it was a business, I agree we have a lot of vehicles, but there's 5 of us who live here and everyone has to drive to work and such. What bugs me is i'm being asked to get a licence to change my uncles oil a few times a year and that the only reason why I got a notice.

And not to brag but there's not even one oil stain on my driveway. Ever drop of oil is cleaned as soon as I see it. Oil drips on the ground is a pet peeve of mine. I put down news paper and cardboard ever time I do work. I've changed 3 rear main seals that were leaking just a few drops a week.
    Last edited by bensonchuong; 06-14-2018 at 05:30 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I was told a business is an activity. It has nothing to do with if you make money or not. And FWIW It's my uncle I don't even charge him for the oil. He'll get me a nice birthday present or something.

- - - Updated - - -

We own 6 vehicles that I maintain and they all have a parking spot off the street (2 in garage, 4 on driveway). Plus my uncles who stops by 3-4 times a year. I do the oil changes and tire swaps. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.
    Its not my uncle went theough this, except in reverse (long story). A business is more then an activity or cutting your grass or changing your bike tire would be a business.

And there is no requirement to have the vehicle registered to you. We are all mechanics and work at home as hobby. To have it registered requires insurance. There's no point on a project car. They are scarong you because you don't know any better.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So your driveway is essentially a minute lube 30/52 weekends a year? That doesn’t sound annoying at all...

End of the day it seems like you pushed your luck and someone got annoyed enough to call bylaw about it and, shockingly, it turned out you were in the wrong.

Guess you better bring a wrench over to your uncles house come fall. That’s what I do when someone asks for my help changing tires etc. Big deal.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I'm fine if someone called because they though it was a business, I agree we have a lot of vehicles, but there's 6 of us who live here and everyone has to drive to work and such. What bugs me is i'm being asked to get a licence to change my uncles oil a few times a year and that the only reason why I got a notice.

And not to brag but there's not even one oil stain on my driveway. Ever drop of oil is cleaned as soon as I see it. Oil drips on the ground is a pet peeve of mine. I put down news paper and cardboard ever time I do work. I've changed 3 rear main seals that were leaking just a few drops a week.
    Your neighbours are probably getting tired of living next to a motel/auto mechanic. Move to the NE if you want to avoid this in the future.

My Ride
    Silverado

Yup. Your shit stinks.

Why on earth would you need to change 3 rear seals?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Yup. Your shit stinks.

Why on earth would you need to change 3 rear seals?
    With 3 cars over 300k running in great condition, seals are just part of wear and tear.

My Ride
    Silverado

good reminder to not live in the hamptons.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The bylaw might be poorly worded, but people regularly bring their vehicles to your house for maintenance and repair is exactly what it was intended to prevent. Clearly yiur neighbours have an issue with your actions.

If the tools and equipment required for such activities are not easily transportable to the address of the registered owner, then you are for all intents running a shop. If the tools are easily transportable, then do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

If the busy bodies get out of line, twice a week throw an open garage block party, invite friends, turn up the music, have a big smoky bbq. Just make sure you are done by 10pm, and no alcohol.

Invite your neighbor that complained.

Too many peole in this city stick there noses where they don't belong.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

. So thats around 15 oil changes and 14 tire swaps a year. and yes lately with the nice weather I'm leaving my garage door open while I work and since Winter just ended I have been out the last 2 weeks changing off the tires.
    Keep your door closed, derp.

But beyond that, you sound like the neighbour from hell, especially as it sounds like this is out of a front attached garage?

I've done lots of work out of my garages in residential, but noise and tidyness was always my number 1 concern. Using air tools as sparingly as possible, not running the compressor or swinging sledges late at night, etc etc.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I agree its bullshit if your story is as you say and there isn't any other factors. I've spent almost the last week in Calgary, there is just an oppressive nimby air around the city now.

As for the "shady backyard mechanics", fuck me, I'll take one of those compared to most shops charging $150+/hr and not fixing the problem, then having the balls to charge you more to try and fix it again. Lawl.

Inferior work is what is performed at 90% of automorive shops out there, its fucking ludicrous the murder they get away with. And its essentially no recourse, regardless of insurance or whatever other bullshit registration and licencing they have.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast