By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

Not the Hamptons but nearby...

http://spot311.calgary.ca/reports/18-00558733
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Someone working on cars doesn't bug me in the slightest. Unless there's broken vehicles leaking and in pieces outside I can't possibly see why anyone would care.

In OP's case specifically though I would guess the bigger issue is that the the property is loaded with several POS cars and looks like a junkyard

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, never thought I'd see the day when Beyonders gave someone shit for working on their own car or their friends' rides.
    Beyonds median age has gotten 15 years older since the begining. Bunch of cranky old farts who enjoy the "bought, not built" life now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
    Someone working on cars doesn't bug me in the slightest. Unless there's broken vehicles leaking and in pieces outside I can't possibly see why anyone would care.

In OP's case specifically though I would guess the bigger issue is that the the property is loaded with several POS cars and looks like a junkyard
    Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.

To bring this post back on topic, the issue here brought up by by-law isn't the fact that I have a bunch of vehicles or that I work on my vehicle. By-law already told me this was fine and the complaint wasn't about noise, untidyness or any other nuisance.

It's the fact that having my uncle visit 3-4 times a year for an oil change or tire swap (doesn't matter if it's free) requires a business licence and is the reason why I got a notice. On top of that the justification for needing a licence was because what I was doing caused an increase in traffic in my neighborhood. Which in my mind is absurd because what's the issue with a family member coming over to visit. They would still be bringing that traffic to the area (unless next thing you know city hall requires you to have a permit to visit friends and family).

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

The city doesn't care it's your uncle. It doesn't matter. The point is the perception. Your neighbours see cars coming in, being worked on, then leaving. That's why bylaw came for a visit.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    I mean, I don't care if it's the Hamptons or Forest Lawn, he can do what he wants with his property within the confines of the law - and in this case I'd argue the law seems overly broad in its efforts to curb unlicensed shops. If folks don't want to see that kind of thing, they can always buy in a neighborhood with a restrictive HOA that bans DIY vehicle work and driveway parking. Do people really get that hot and bothered about people working in the garage with the door open, or should all work be done with the door closed so everybody can pretend they service their stuff at the dealership? I work on all sorts of shit with my doors open and I've had nothing but friendly visits from folks interested in what I'm wrenching on.

I get that we should all strive to be good neighbors, but I hate busybodies that want to police what others do. As long as he's not running an auto shop out of his garage, making a mess in the driveway or street, or violating noise ordinances, I don't really see the problem - especially if he's keeping the vehicles on his own property rather than in the street. And, lest I be seen as a hypocrite, I share an alleyway with a guy that literally runs an unlicensed garage our of his shop and I've never called Bylaw on him - but I'll do it if he dumps oil in the alleyway or something egregious.
    This x what ever made up number you choose in your head.

It's his property, let him do what he wants. People already call the cops over loud kids playing in their yard, or growing the wrong trees and shit. Unless he is an actual curber or a mechanic on kijiji, I say let him be. He owns the property, just as his neighbors do. and if THEY don't like it, they can find a new place to live. Otherwise, what right do they have to tell him what he can do on his property that is within the law?

Neighbors may hate it, but that's their problem. Just my $0.02
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Quote Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
    Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.
    I just assumed they're pos cars because you said you're doing major rebuilds numerous times a year

The bylaw does seem to be way too open in its interpretation. Hell if there was a guy on my street actually running an unlicensed mechanics shop I still wouldn't care unless it was a complete mess outside

My Ride
    Silverado

I read the first post again. It doesnt that the bylaw person came by because he was working on his uncle's car, just that it came up in conversation that it's against the bylaw. What was the complaint for?

Good to know, I had no idea this was a thing. Very glad I live where I do, more than half the street is just like me, but I guess we do have detached rear garages that are out of sight out of mind so no one pays any attention.

Doesn’t make any sense for family/friends in my opinion. If someone was running a (money-transaction) business I can see why they should have to have a business license but not in this situation.

This probably applies to absolutely everything then? Family member comes over to join you for a bike ride, needs their seat adjusted “sorry uncle I need a business licence to do that, we have to drive back to your house”.

Stupid IMO, and stupid that someone potentially took the time to find that bylaw and call bylaw on you instead of being a decent neighbor and talking to you, respect goes both ways.....

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I read the first post again. It doesnt that the bylaw person came by because he was working on his uncle's car, just that it came up in conversation that it's against the bylaw. What was the complaint for?
    By-law, business licence division, came to speak to me because of a complaint for Auto Repair Work. I was told all complaints are investigated. I explained what I did for my own vehicles and I was told that not a problem. I was asked if anyone else comes to get cars worked on and I mentioned that my uncle comes a few times a year. I was told that "activity" needed a business licence (for profit or not). A Notice for doing a "business activity" without a business licence was given to me because my uncle comes to get a no-charge oil change at my house a few times a year.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
    By-law, business licence division, came to speak to me because of a complaint for Auto Repair Work. I was told all complaints are investigated. I explained what I did for my own vehicles and I was told that not a problem. I was asked if anyone else comes to get cars worked on and I mentioned that my uncle comes a few times a year. I was told that "activity" needed a business licence (for profit or not). A Notice for doing a "business activity" without a business licence was given to me because my uncle comes to get a no-charge oil change at my house a few times a year.

Something doesn't add up here, hard to believe that they would make you get a business license to change your uncles oil 4 times a year. Bylaw has reason to believe there is more going on there

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Something doesn't add up here, hard to believe that they would make you get a business license to change your uncles oil 4 times a year. Bylaw has reason to believe there is more going on there
    I’d say the multiple complaints against OP were from neighbors who thought he was running a business because of the sheer volume of cars and workngoinng on. Bylaw comes out, gets the story and warns him for the bylaw he is breakout by, not for his own cars after he explains it.

Regardless, the whole point is flying right over his head. He seems like one of those people who figure that so long as their actions are following the letter of the law, the actual inpact doesn’t matter. Even if they are legal, the vast majority of people in a nicer neighbourhood wouldn’t consider his actions neighbourly. But it probably doesn’t matter at this point, he’s most likely already considered to be “that” neighbor.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

perhaps offer the service to offended neighbor. I think Calgary municipal government is trying to regulate every aspect of our life.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    Man, you must be a terrible neighbour if you had bylaw called on you for that. I spend hundreds of hours working on cars in my garage and use all kinds of air tools. It’s all done inside my garage with the doors closed and follow the local noise bylaw and have ZERO issues. Even my neighbours come to me for car advice. Looking at my house you would never know what goes on in the garage. Sounds like your place is an eyesore, and people are sick of it.
    Ya but all it takes is one psycho neighbor though...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Bylaw complaints are definitely a case of 90% if complaints are made by 10% if the people. Even so, don’t piss people off and they won’t go out of their way to report you.

No one wants to spend their free time documenting your bullshit, calling it in, following up etc. What they want is you to stop being a shitty neighbor.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    What they want is you to stop being a shitty neighbor.
    Clearly that's not going to happen. He hasn't even been fined FFS, just a warning and he's trying to figure out and justify how to keep doing what he does without actually getting busted. So either he really fucking loves his Uncle, or he's doing more and not telling us trying to get some sympathy or something, or a loophole to figure out how to keep doing what he wants to do without giving a fuck about others living in the vicinity that have to deal with his shit.

Again, I'm 99% sure I know where he lives, and I have friends that live nearby. His house is known around the area, so not surprised someone bitched.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Ohhh called out.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Again, I'm 99% sure I know where he lives, and I have friends that live nearby. His house is known around the area, so not surprised someone bitched.
    You can’t post this and not elaborate haha
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast