Quantcast
Best Laptop for Under $1K? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Laptop for Under $1K?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a pretty great deal for those specs, especially since that Vega 8 iGPU is about twice as good as intel's HD620 iGPU.

If it's not too late you can get that for $692.99 with code SUMMER2018. That's probably the best deal in this thread so far actually, all things considered.
    I cannot find the same laptop through the IBM portal now however, only the one with the 512 GB SSD, but for $1050.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hift View Post
    I cannot find the same laptop through the IBM portal now however, only the one with the 512 GB SSD, but for $1050.
    Still works for me if you search from the root of the website. Use this link:

https://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmepp...filiate:bv0as6

Enter the password.

Products --> Laptops & Ultrabooks --> Ideapads--> 700 --> New Ryzen

At the checkout enter SUMMER2018, and it's $697.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Still works for me if you search from the root of the website. Use this link:

https://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmepp...filiate:bv0as6

Enter the password.

Products --> Laptops & Ultrabooks --> Ideapads--> 700 --> New Ryzen

At the checkout enter SUMMER2018, and it's $697.
    I really appreciate the directions, but in the cart with the computer added, when you enter in the SUMMER2018, it applies the code, discounts the price but then says "Oh dear … something’s not right. Please call us to complete your order. We’re really sorry for the inconvenience." Not sure if I should call considering I'm trying to use an IBM EPP I'm not a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hift View Post
    I really appreciate the directions, but in the cart with the computer added, when you enter in the SUMMER2018, it applies the code, discounts the price but then says "Oh dear … something’s not right. Please call us to complete your order. We’re really sorry for the inconvenience." Not sure if I should call considering I'm trying to use an IBM EPP I'm not a part of.
    Ah shoot, maybe it doesn't work then - I never went past the "cart" with it. The big banner at the top of the page says the promo code should work, which should work in your favor if you called in but I am not sure if they care that you are using the EPP login or how private that is supposed to be, maybe someone else can chime in on whether or not Lenovo cares.

I almost impulse bought the 14" version yesterday, but virtually every user review mentions a bios issue with unbearable fan noise even with cool 40C CPU temps, and Lenovo doesn't seem to want to fix this particular issue after many months. There are some pretty long threads on it. Anyone actually have one of these?

I don't think the same applies to the 13" models.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    When I first got mine (14" Version) the fan noise was fucking ridiculous. For the first couple of days I was starting to regret it. Then about a week later when I turned it on, all I got was a black screen. It concluded it was likely caused as a result of a conflict between the integrated video GPU and main GPU... so I used Safe-Mode to disable the integrated GPU. It worked, but the fan noise after was unchanged, it was still stupid loud all the time.

About two weeks in I tried to play Half-Life 2 to see if the video car was any good... and it shit the bed big time. I knew it was an entry GPU and that game was probably too much, but I was still a bit pissed at that point.

Wondering WTF was going on, I opened up the GeForce control panel... and it was all greyed out with a message that my video card wasn't working. So I checked the device manager, and the MX150 was... but the onboard GPU one was not, because I'd disabled it from before.

So I re-enabled the onboard GPU, updated all the drivers, and restarted... and suddenly I could play Half-Life 2 with full resolution and all graphics options cranked to the max. I was a lot happier.

There was another side effect, the fan noise... gone. It doesn't even kick in anymore unless I am playing a game... I am using it right now and it is dead silent.

So as best I can tell, there is something fucked up with the video card driver right out of the box, that causes the fans to go crazy 24/7 and eventually could lead to display issues when you startup. Once I sorted that out, it works awesome. I've had zero issues and no fan noise for about 3 weeks now.
    Interesting, thanks - I knew you had one but didn't know if you had the 13" or 14" version. So you just updated the video drivers and the fan noise went away? Did you ever do a BIOS update? That's very strange but I'm glad you got it working - from what I can tell it's pretty much a perfect ultrabook other than the fan/temperature bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Yeah just the drivers, haha

If you work downtown I could meet up with you at lunch or after work if you want to check it out first hand
    Cool, thanks - if I decide to buy one I might just take you up on that. I'm still on the fence, some days I want a new laptop, some days I don't think I need one. I use my iPad Pro for all general browsing/content consumption, but it isn't nearly powerful enough for any kind of useful RAW photo editing workflow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2