Quantcast
What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default What made you decide to give up daily driving a manual sports car?

For financial reasons I've been thinking about going down to one car, I'm also turning 38 and therefore getting close to 40 and I'm getting the urge to explore other vehicles that are more "age appropriate" (more on the luxury side) but still "fun"... and I've been looking at sports sedans. One thing i been thinking about is actually giving up the stick shift, I drive it in the Deerfoot parking lot every day and most days have to parallel park on a steep hill, and the stick shift is starting to feel more like an annoyance than a compliment to my daily drives, I don't think I could ever live without a manual sports car in my life but for those of you that have given it up, what made you do it?

My Ride
    ute

Modern automatics outperform three pedals. Plus coffee. Plus boiling on downshifts

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Daily driving a manual if you have a shitty commute or spend a lot of time in Glenmore/Crowchild/Deerfoot traffic doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But, if it was a pure weekend or fun car, than I'm all for getting a manual. I would definitely get a manual GT3 than a PDK one, because there's no way I'm exacting the last 2-3 tenths of a second. Performance would be one of the last criteria of choosing a manual over an automatic, and vice versa.

My Ride
    Ram

i used to have the mentality that a sports car has to be manual. After having several Dual Clutch Transmissions over the year. I have equal amount of fun with a manual, without the woes of a manual. Maybe i am just getting old.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Wife and kids = no manual and no sports car. In my case anyways
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I think some cars deserve to be driven with a stick shift like an old muscle car. But modern vehicles just doesn't make sense any more.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think some cars deserve to be driven with a stick shift like an old muscle car. But modern vehicles just doesn't make sense any more.
    Ya I used to be on a Z Facebook page and the amount of young guys on there with automatic 370z just blows my mind...

I wouldn't mind a dual clutch, I had an 06 Audi A3 before and it shifted pretty nice, but just didn't have that direct connection feel with the gears/ engine. I feel I would miss that tactile feedback... kind of like DJ controllers versus spinning real records lol which I never did actually learn, started right with Pioneer CDJs, but why beat match when youcan have it done for you?

My Z actually has synchro rev matching which makes me almost half way there to an auto anyways lol and most days I'm so grateful to have it..I wish it had hill start assist though, parallel parking back up a hill on hill is a bitch in the morning when I'm half asleep..

My Ride
    NC1

Dual clutch + launch control = so much fun

But right now I'm just driving tiptronic

Also, can't be bothered with shifting.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I eat Mcdonalds fries while I'm driving so my one free hand is already taken

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Fanboy, have you tried borrowing a friends automatic for a week?

Im 38 and I ask myself the same question. Ive driven friends autos and it was nice. But after a while I got annoyed wanting a particular gear or it shifts up when when I want more juice out of a particular gear range.
    Ive done the same thing, ive looked at other vehicles that are age appropriate. At the same time I look at my lifestyle and where I am (no kids etc). Maybe its a advantage..?

Agreed. Some cars have to be driven in a manual.. otherwise its just like having a hot new girlfriend that just grinds her butt on you... Then she turns her head and gives you the Disney eyes.. like.. whats the point?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Fanboy, have you tried borrowing a friends automatic for a week?

Im 38 and I ask myself the same question. Ive driven friends autos and it was nice. But after a while I got annoyed wanting a particular gear or it shifts up when when I want more juice out of a particular gear range.
    Ive done the same thing, ive looked at other vehicles that are age appropriate. At the same time I look at my lifestyle and where I am (no kids etc). Maybe its a advantage..?

Agreed. Some cars have to be driven in a manual.. otherwise its just like having a hot new girlfriend that just grinds her butt on you... Then she turns her head and gives you the Disney eyes.. like.. whats the point?
    Yes, I have a 2009 G37X coupe that only comes in auto, I bought it for the winter but lately I've found myself driving it to work sometimes and after 3 days tops I miss the manual...but the Z has zero noise insulation inside and sometimes I find it just plain loud, another sign I'm getting old lol we have nokids either, I love the feeling of being in a two seater but the noise and the sometimes hassle of a clutch is starting to get to me, especially since Nissan trannies are the furthest thing from being "slick" like Hondas

Great to hear other beyonders insights though as most of us are getting older and have already moved onto auto cars... question would be, what should I get? I'll have to start a new thread for that, fast awd sport sedan that isn't a Subaru.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 06-14-2018 at 09:44 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

If you're moving up in the world, obvious choice would be the typical S4 or an IS/RC

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    If you're moving up in the world, obvious choice would be the typical S4 or an IS/RC
    Ya I'm thinking S4 but worried about reliability...I like current gen Lexus IS but stillout of my price range, I've seen high 20s low 30s whereas S4s can be had for under 20 and that's kind ofmy price range. Maybe a 335xi or even a newer 328?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Why not Subaru..?

IS was my choice too. But price is high..
    Accord is on the list as it has the Same K series engine as the Zonda. (Still comes in a manual too!)

I might go down the Subaru route. The Cross Trek is appealing as I like to fold the seats down and throw shit in the back. But it would have to be 2018 onwards as thats when they introduced a 6th gear.

Want a Beema? I considered that too, if I did I would have to go full retard and go for the M5.. then I would cry on maintence costs and look towards selling my condo.
    Hell...Today I was even watching M5 Videos on youtube for shits and giggles...
    V10...

My Ride
    ute

that transmission in th eM5 is pretty bad, though

My Ride
    TypeR

Do you guys find you get bored when driving auto after driving standard for a long time? I went from 350z to Lexus Is350 and literally sold it for a Evo X because i was not as engaged. Found myself no paying as much attention and being complacent.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    ute

bored? no.

just get the right cars.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

M5 smg feels like a first gen smart car when it’s cold

Wife not wanting to drive a manual is a plus

My old ass father still daily drives his standard G37

Modern standards have hill assist

Yes I have a sports sedan... in manual

You can’t clutch kick a dct

The end

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Driving in rush hour traffic on Henday everyday. Was getting tiring shifting every 5 secs when it got gridlocked.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast