Quantcast
Insurance write off - JDM valuation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Insurance write off - JDM valuation

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Default Insurance write off - JDM valuation

My 2001 JDM subaru bugeye WRX wagon took some heavy hail damage and will most likely be written off. It has 83,000 km on it, 5 speed manual. I feel this will be hard for insurance to properly value.

Anyone went through same situation or know a value to ask for?
    Don’t take your anger out on the Paul Revere’s spreading the truth about the Big V. Take your anger out on those who coerced you, and encouraged you to sacrifice yourself for the globalist end game.

My Ride
    Canyonero

The value question is the same as always- what would it cost you to acquire a vehicle of a similar spec in similar condition? Start searching kijiji and talking to importers, presumably the same outfits that you may have worked with during your original purchase.

Build your case, and when your insurance company comes back with a number, you'll have an informed opinion about it and can easily show evidence to support your position, should you need to argue with them.

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Thank you for the insight.

I just assumed the adjuster would only look at North American market cars for comparison. I was wondering what to expect as it's my first claim with a JDM car.
    Don’t take your anger out on the Paul Revere’s spreading the truth about the Big V. Take your anger out on those who coerced you, and encouraged you to sacrifice yourself for the globalist end game.

I went through this last year.

Hit a deer in my 2000 forester sti. Worked out quite nicely. Insurance was one of the big companies. Headlights, front bumper, hood fenders were all messed up. Adjuster sent out an appraiser he came out . Was pretty well versed in appraisals (so it seemed)

Asked me how much I bought it for , how much I put into it (didn’t care about brakes, or timing belt and water pump. Was very interested in mods for value. Last thing he asked me was how much I I would sell it for and I said 10,000

I was super worried about the value and it came back at 9500 bought for 4500 told them 6000. Better part is adjuster told me I could take mods off and sell em as long as it rolled onto the flatbed .

My Ride
    Blue boy

Did it hail today?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did it hail today?
    Maybe it did where the OP was.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Did it hail today?
    Southeast Sask and southwest Manitoba were hit hard on Thursday with hail.
    Last edited by Uncle Flappy; 06-16-2018 at 09:12 AM.

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Quote Originally Posted by loweg View Post
    I went through this last year.

Hit a deer in my 2000 forester sti. Worked out quite nicely. Insurance was one of the big companies. Headlights, front bumper, hood fenders were all messed up. Adjuster sent out an appraiser he came out . Was pretty well versed in appraisals (so it seemed)

Asked me how much I bought it for , how much I put into it (didn’t care about brakes, or timing belt and water pump. Was very interested in mods for value. Last thing he asked me was how much I I would sell it for and I said 10,000

I was super worried about the value and it came back at 9500 bought for 4500 told them 6000. Better part is adjuster told me I could take mods off and sell em as long as it rolled onto the flatbed .
    Interesting, thanks for sharing, hopefully government run SGI is as easy to deal with as your insurance company.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Just remember to keep haggling the number. A lot of people don't realize you don't need to take the first offer. Even if you think it's fair, keep haggling. Unless you need the money ASAP.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Flappy View Post
    Interesting, thanks for sharing, hopefully government run SGI is as easy to deal with as your insurance company.
    Well that changes things, dramatically. SGI is not an organization that has any interest in what their customers think of them. What are you going to do, move your business to the competition...lol.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Well that changes things, dramatically. SGI is not an organization that has any interest in what their customers think of them. What are you going to do, move your business to the competition...lol.
    QFT bunch of motherless government cunts.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Just remember to keep haggling the number. A lot of people don't realize you don't need to take the first offer. Even if you think it's fair, keep haggling. Unless you need the money ASAP.
    +1. Recently haggled with insurance on my dad's written-off Honda Odyssey. Ended up getting a fair bit more.

They'll stand firm on certain things but there's other stuff that the adjuster can do to bump up your settlement amount, such as waiving fees etc.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    QFT bunch of motherless government cunts.

+1

My Ride
    Por-shuh

Went for the assessment today at the special hail claim centre. A centre was set up because of the volume of cars that were damaged by hail in my city. The adjuster would not even disclose even the amount of damage to me. They tried to assess the value of my car and said that they would have to forward it to a 3rd party who would make the evaluation. This does not feel good. Other people were given damage estimates but I was not provided one.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Flappy View Post
    Went for the assessment today at the special hail claim centre. A centre was set up because of the volume of cars that were damaged by hail in my city. The adjuster would not even disclose even the amount of damage to me. They tried to assess the value of my car and said that they would have to forward it to a 3rd party who would make the evaluation. This does not feel good. Other people were given damage estimates but I was not provided one.
    That particular adjuster might not have been familiar with JDM cars. Especially where you are. I wouldn't look too far into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I had a couple really good experiences when I was in Sask for 4 years with SGI. I got cheaper insurance for the same or better coverage than I've ever been able to get in Alberta. I also found turn around times when I had any incidents were much faster than I had ever had previously in Alberta. I wrote off 2x vehicles in Sask, one from hitting a deer and another due to construction debris on the road under some water during a storm and I was able to negotiate the settlement for a better offer fairly easily in a timely fashion. Maybe I was an anomaly but its one of the few crown corporations that I actually don't mind.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Since I've moved back to Alberta I've never had any incidents requiring insurance so maybe things have changed (besides the price). Also, everything I dealt with before was in Medicine Hat and not Calgary so I am not sure if that plays a factor in things. Just my experience though.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 06-25-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.