Quantcast
Bylaw complaints - have you received or made one? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bylaw complaints - have you received or made one?

Default Bylaw complaints - have you received or made one?

Bylaw - have you ever had a complaint filed against you and/or have you ever filed a complaint against a neighbor?

I've had/done both - lodged a complaint about a guy about half a block away about 6 years ago. Idiot had a 5 ton box transport truck parked facing uphill on the street with the front on jack stands and front wheels nowhere to be seen. Front brakes were all disassembled and no blocks behind the rear tires, sat like this for two days. Moron.

Myself, a number of years back had a spiked impact sprinkler going on my front lawn one evening and over the course of several hours it moved enough to start getting a bit of the public sidewalk wet. Quickly got a visit from a bylaw officer who was responding to a called in complaint. Officer looked at the situation and commented he had to at least warn me.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    KTM

When I lived in NW Calgary I made several complaints on neighbors who neglected to mow their lawn/weeds and not shovelling their walks. I 100% felt like a 65 year old grumpy old man when I did it haha.

I think I had solid reasoning for both.

- I made a great effort to maintain my yard as we were in the process of selling. The least they could do was keep their lawns(weeds) cut so they weren't an eye sore, every time i complained there was action within days so it seemed effective.
    - We were on a major walking route to the school. I made every effort to shovel the entire public path( with help from some neighbors) to the school to help the kids and parents access the school including my front walk. Drove me nuts that surrounding neighbors couldn't be bothered to shovel the 20 feet in front of their houses. Witnessed several parents, kids and seniors (heading to the bus) wipe out. I was less successful with shoveling complaints as they are hard to time with the 24 hours after last snow fall.

One of my neighbors did complain once for having my trailer unhitched and on the street, which I deserved and paid the fine for. Opps. Havent repeated that.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

In Red Deer, bylaw for complaints is an escalating policy (at least in regards to noise).

Had some latino neighbours over a decade ago, the parents would leave and the kids would party. This was when I was younger and still leaving with my parents.

They actually yelled at my mom when she went over and asked them to turn it down. It was pretty nuts, all things considered.

So bylaw called. Given a warning. As mentioned, it escalates in Red Deer. Had to call them again later on that year, $250 fine. Then again, $500 fine. THEN AGAIN. $1,000 fine.

There never was another party after that.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I called on a neighbor who decided to park his car in the middle of the alley after 48 hours. Literally impassible and it was just sitting there.

It has to be pretty blatant for me to make a call, actively affecting my life. I accept that I live in a trashy neighbourhood and that’s life.

After the nightmare of ice buildup caused my one neighbor not shoveling his corner lot last winter I am going to be less lenient this year.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Never made or received a complaint, but I did make a complaint to my condo board about a neighbour erecting a portable garage on his townhome driveway.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Recently after doing a renovation in Woodbine we had to remove the dump trailer that sat on the drive for 3 months ( no issues by anyone while it was there ) and had to put it on the road while realtor pictures were being taken. Not 20 minutes sitting on the road without the truck hooked up to it ( also had the parts trailer there to empty the house which was hooked onto the truck ) and a bylaw officer showed up!

Luckily my neighbour was outside and distracted him enough for me to get back and move it before he could ticket!
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Sure have. Some house on my block let their bush grow so bad you couldn't walk on the sidewalk.

Quick complaint and a few days later it was cut back.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have only filed a few, and all of them for my across the street neighbor. They never cut their lawn, and never shovel the snow on their sidewalk. In the summer it is just a jungle of weeds and in winter there is usually 3-4" of snow and ice on the sidewalk.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I have only filed a few, and all of them for my across the street neighbor. They never cut their lawn, and never shovel the snow on their sidewalk. In the summer it is just a jungle of weeds and in winter there is usually 3-4" of snow and ice on the sidewalk.
    Funny my one neighbor who's husband worked out of the country in UAE hired a company to manage the yard as she couldnt do it and other neighbors who had 6 plus people living in the house couldnt be bothered. In most cases its a 15 minute job.

My Ride
    MR2

For everyone who's called in for complaints, have you talked directly with your neighbors first? Or just straight to the call center?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've made a complaint but never had one made against me.

When I moved into my condo, there was a lot of construction in the area still. Someone decided it was okay to operate heavy construction machinery at 2 or 3AM while I was trying to sleep. After it happened the second consecutive night, I made a call and they said they'd look into it and it never happened again.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    For everyone who's called in for complaints, have you talked directly with your neighbors first? Or just straight to the call center?
    We tried to talk to the neighbor, but no one answered the door. There's never any lights on and you never see any one coming and going. I call it the grow up, and of course every time stupid ass cat escapes he makes a bee-line for their step to hide under
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    KTM

Nope didnt bother. Not the typical neighbor relationship. Never outside, not freindly, etc.

Good part of the reason we moved.....

The guy with the transport truck on jack stands - nope because he was a dick in so many other ways plus it was a major safety issue not only to whomever might be working on the truck as well as curious kids walking by. The guy recently sold and moved but he was always pushing the envelope with respect to various bylaws.
    Last edited by speedog; 06-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Weve had BL called on a few occasions, for pretty silly things like moving a piece of sheet metal roofing at 10:05pm.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.

I hate when people pile snow on to the road when they have sufficient space on their lawn. Apparently his neighbors hated it too and started to run over the pile he was making on the road.
    He obviously didn't like that very much and stuck some 2x4s and various junk in it to inflict damage to the vehicles and I called him in for malicious intent.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    I hate when people pile snow on to the road when they have sufficient space on their lawn. Apparently his neighbors hated it too and started to run over the pile he was making on the road.
    He obviously didn't like that very much and stuck some 2x4s and various junk in it to inflict damage to the vehicles and I called him in for malicious intent.
    Its not an issue moving snow from city sidewalks to the road - but it is an issue to move from private driveway to road.

My Ride
    CBR 929

One time after slipping and falling on an uncleared sidewalk. Only called because I actually bailed pretty good, both feet out from under me and straight down I went.

Husband called on a neighbor who left his camper trailer parked on the street for 4 weeks. He would go to work during the day and then back his truck up really close to it at night to make it appear as thought it was hitched up but it actually wasn't. Sat on the street for about 6 weeks before it was finally ticketed/moved.

Edited to add, actually forgot one from about 15 years ago. Asian neighbors, new community and new homes. They seeded their lawn instead of buying sod. Grass was about 12 inches tall or more when we called to complain. They cut the entire lawn front and back with a weed whacker, all the kids stood outside and watched while dad did it. They ended up having to replace the whole lawn with sod eventually when they were selling the home to make it look decent.
    Last edited by bignerd; 06-17-2018 at 12:58 AM.

[url]

Quote Originally Posted by bignerd View Post
    One time after slipping and falling on an uncleared sidewalk. Only called because I actually bailed pretty good, both feet out from under me and straight down I went.
    Either you were lucky in your fall or I was unlucky in mine as mine was exactly the same, slipped on snow covered ice, both feet straight out and hard on my bum crushing my L1. So snow covered public sidewalks that are habitually being ignored will get a 311 report from me, I figure if senior's living near me can keep their walks clean (either themselves or nice neighbors or paying someone else) then others can too.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast