Quantcast
Bylaw complaints - have you received or made one? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bylaw complaints - have you received or made one?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EDIT: I really want to call about my next door neighbor because his front yard is basically all weeds. I've spoke to him a couple times about it but him and his wife are huge hippies and think the yellow dandelions look nice. They are good people besides this one issue so the wife and I at a loss with how to approach it.
    You should spray their weeds for them and mow their lawn when it gets too long.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I have only had to call bylaw on someone on my street once.

He never made any effort to shovel his sidewalk even though he was on the corner that everyone had to walk past to get to the mailbox.

After slipping on his ice ruts one too many times I called it in and now it seems he has his teenage kids doing it.

I felt bad but I tore my pec and had to hire snow removal for the winter as I physically could not do it and here this prick was that never once shoveled.

His walk was bad enough that bylaw hired a company to go do it and billed him.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Looks like you missed the rest of the sentence so I've quoted it for you. It pisses me off yes but I fully recognize its a public street which means anyone has the right to park there, which I've already admitted to knowing. Its when strange vehicles get left unattended for long periods of time where the problem arises. Nothing to do with an "even score" or "get my spot back" but good try, keep digging.

You recognize your neighbors car so there is no need to call it in, but I bet when a slew of random vehicles show up that no one has even seen before you'd think different.
    I honestly couldn't care less if someone parked in front of my house for 6 months, and I have no idea who it belongs to. It literally has no impact on my life, and I don't let these things get to me. Would it kill you to walk an extra 10-15 feet if you couldn't park directly in front of your house. Also, why are you not using your driveway/garage? Maybe you should move somewhere else. You seem to have all sorts of things that set you off about your neighbours, so a change of scenery might do you some good.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    I honestly couldn't care less if someone parked in front of my house for 6 months, and I have no idea who it belongs to. It literally has no impact on my life, and I don't let these things get to me. Would it kill you to walk an extra 10-15 feet if you couldn't park directly in front of your house. Also, why are you not using your driveway/garage? Maybe you should move somewhere else. You seem to have all sorts of things that set you off about your neighbours, so a change of scenery might do you some good.
    Not all houses have driveways or garages. I personally wouldn't want random cars parked in front of my house either, especially if they were eye sores some neighbor was flipping.
    @npham do you take pride in up-keeping your yard/property?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    Not all houses have driveways or garages. I personally wouldn't want random cars parked in front of my house either, especially if they were eye sores some neighbor was flipping.
    @npham do you take pride in up-keeping your yard/property?
    I wasn't aware of any communities that didn't have one or the other. I could see some older neighbourhoods that might have a couple weird lots that don't but I thought for the most part, it was commonplace. Can you think of any? But to answer your other question yes. Do you somehow think that if I didn't care or cared, my opinion would be different?

My Ride
    KTM

I wasn't aware of any communities that didn't have one or the other. I could see some older neighbourhoods that might have a couple weird lots that don't but I thought for the most part, it was commonplace. Can you think of any? But to answer your other question yes. Do you somehow think that if I didn't care or cared, my opinion would be different?
    I would guess that a good portion of the houses in Calgary lack a driveway/garage. Most of the inner city houses in the NW definitely lack a front attached garage or driveway and a rear attached garage may or may not be built. I am thinking Tuxedo, Rosemont, North Haven, Collingwood, Beddington areas- its pretty common. Many of the older garages also dont accommodate cars or haven't been updated to do so. Regardless its super common.

I'm confused as to why one would think older garages weren't built to accommodate vehicles. Hell, our first home in Mount Pleasant was built in 1935 with a single car garage built in 1938 and that garage easily held a full sized vehicle. Our current 1955 home in Highwood has a double garage built in 1957 that easily accommodates two full size vehicles, the extended cab long box Sierra I had would fit and that was with a work bench on the end. Every one of our neighbors in either community also had no issues parking vehicles in their garages as well. I guess color me as quite confused.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I'm confused as to why one would think older garages weren't built to accommodate vehicles. Hell, our first home in Mount Pleasant was built in 1935 with a single car garage built in 1938 and that garage easily held a full sized vehicle. Our current 1955 home in Highwood has a double garage built in 1957 that easily accommodates two full size vehicles, the extended cab long box Sierra I had would fit and that was with a work bench on the end. Every one of our neighbors in either community also had no issues parking vehicles in their garages as well. I guess color me as quite confused.
    I grew up in and around Highwood and actually went to Colonel Irvine and bike through the area to work often so I know the area well. I would agree most of the houses in that area, if they have garages, would accommodate a vehicle just fine. Lots of the houses closer to inner-city have tiny garages with doors that haven't been updated or aren't used regularly for vehicle parking.... that was my point. With that being said, most of these houses would also have massive lots and tons of street parking so I cant see it being a issue. Does that clear it up for you?

Maybe that clears up your confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    I grew up in and around Highwood and actually went to Colonel Irvine and bike through the area to work often so I know the area well. I would agree most of the houses in that area, if they have garages, would accommodate a vehicle just fine. Lots of the houses closer to inner-city have tiny garages with doors that haven't been updated or aren't used regularly for vehicle parking.... that was my point. With that being said, most of these houses would also have massive lots and tons of street parking so I cant see it being a issue. Does that clear it up for you?

Maybe that clears up your confusion?
    It appears to me that you appear to have contradicted yourself a wee bit. Never the less, we've owned homes in two older communities and haven't experienced what you say - our 1938 garage actually had the original wood swing out doors and it still was able to accommodate a full sized vehicle. That garage in Mount Pleasant I believe would qualify as true inner city and even if it doesn't, certainly it's closer to the inner city than Highwood as there's no community between the two of them.

As far as garages not being used for parking vehicles, that is a regular occurance in any community, new or old.
    Last edited by speedog; 06-19-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

My cousin's place in highwood has a front facing single car garage that although is tight he could get his half ton pick up inside. His solutions thought was to build a 3 car oversize garage in his back yard so now he has parking for 4 vehicles.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Never got called on, but called once about a neighbor that had 2-3ft overgrown grass and weeds, and this was after about 3 years. From the few years we lived there we never saw anyone and all the newspapers were piling up on the front so I was more curious if someone died in there. Cops came and they said the inside was a complete mess and smelled disgusting but no dead bodies and they deemed inhabitable and boarded it off.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

People are also hoarders and keep a bunch of bullshit in their garage instead of throwing it out. IMO a garage is meant for parking a vehicle, not a dumping ground for random junk that has no utility anymore.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I suppose it is quite confusing that garages (of any age) could have been built to nearly any size, both big and small!

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I don't have a drive way, neither do any of the houses on my block. Some of us have garages and I park my personal vehicles in there but when I have the work pickup I park outside as I also do with the personal vehicles when we are running errands all day. Its a public street and I have just as much right to park there while abiding by the bylaws as anyone else does. Having a driveway or a garage is a complete moot point. I'd call a strange car in if it was parked in front of my neighbors house or across the street too for a week or more, my neighbors do as well. What if it was stolen and ditched there, how do you think lots of stolen vehicles get found? You're completely missing the point where its unrecognized vehicles being left for long periods of time, and that there is a bylaw in place for that exact reason. You're an angry angry man I am glad that we (hopefully) don't live anywhere near each other.

Also, as a little side note because you seem to be missing the point, that's what this whole thread is about dude: calling in complaints or having complaints called on you. What the fuck did you expect when you clicked on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I don't have a drive way, neither do any of the houses on my block. Some of us have garages and I park my personal vehicles in there but when I have the work pickup I park outside as I also do with the personal vehicles when we are running errands all day. Its a public street and I have just as much right to park there while abiding by the bylaws as anyone else does. Having a driveway or a garage is a complete moot point. I'd call a strange car in if it was parked in front of my neighbors house or across the street too for a week or more, my neighbors do as well. What if it was stolen and ditched there, how do you think lots of stolen vehicles get found? You're completely missing the point where its unrecognized vehicles being left for long periods of time, and that there is a bylaw in place for that exact reason. You're an angry angry man I am glad that we (hopefully) don't live anywhere near each other.

Also, as a little side note because you seem to be missing the point, that's what this whole thread is about dude: calling in complaints or having complaints called on you. What the fuck did you expect when you clicked on it?
    Anyone who's never lived on a street with rear parking pads/garages and no driveways would understand the issues with street parking. I didn't until I had similar issues. Some neighbors are courteous and some are completely clueless/assholes.

I've since moved but my neighbors (and their family guests) would pull the best parking stunts ever.... we had no homes across the street from us so basically unlimited parking across the street. We had 2 cars on the street, they had 2 cars on the street. We'd have 1 directly in front of our house and 1 across the street, them the same. Pretty simply concept to follow. We'd go out (even for a quick trip) and they'd go out and move their parked car from across the street (so 30' away) to directly in front of our house and then go inside. We'd return and have to park across the street. Legal, yes. Total dick move, most definitely.

During Middle / High School, we all hung out at my buddies house almost every day after school. His neighbor was a grumpy man that no one got along with.

He hated it so much when we parked in front of his house (even though he only ever parked in the garage) that he ended up buying a car just to park in front of his house. 10+ years later it's still there. I've never seen it move.

He also didn't like how loud we were being one day playing street hockey so he brought his lawn mower to the front yard, fired it up and went inside. After about an hour of it running one of our buddies started mowing his lawn with it. He came out pretty quick to yell at him for that!

My Ride
    06 S2000

I've never called a complaint on someone, but I've had my condo board called on me. I parked my motorcycle on my BBQ pad in front of my townhouse over winter, and got a warning in the spring, 2 weeks after I moved out of the townhouse (and the bike had been gone for 2 weeks).

In the same townhouse, I had neighbors that would blast music, and shake the entire shared wall. I kept trying to go over and ask them to turn it down, but they would ignore me ringing the doorbell/knocking on the door. I'm guessing they wanted to pretend that they "couldn't hear me", but their dogs sure as hell knew I was there, and was letting them know.

I want to call bylaw on someone that parks directly on a blind corner on my street entry, but you have to call the actual CPA, rather than 311, and it's frustrating trying to report issues to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I've never called in or received a complaint. I've seen numerous things I could call in but it didn't seem worth the effort or potential backlash to do so.

I was prepared to call in once when the neighbour moved in and his first order of business was to assemble a big above-ground pool just inches from the fence and very close to the back of the house. Their back yard was at least 6" higher than ours at that point so I was concerned that we'd get flooded if the pool ever leaked. I looked up the bylaws first (there are a surprising number of them applying to pools) and then asked him if he could move it, which he did. Then one day I came home and sure enough it had collapsed but since it was closer to the back fence all the water drained into the alley.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Anyone who's never lived on a street with rear parking pads/garages and no driveways would understand the issues with street parking. I didn't until I had similar issues. Some neighbors are courteous and some are completely clueless/assholes.

I've since moved but my neighbors (and their family guests) would pull the best parking stunts ever.... we had no homes across the street from us so basically unlimited parking across the street. We had 2 cars on the street, they had 2 cars on the street. We'd have 1 directly in front of our house and 1 across the street, them the same. Pretty simply concept to follow. We'd go out (even for a quick trip) and they'd go out and move their parked car from across the street (so 30' away) to directly in front of our house and then go inside. We'd return and have to park across the street. Legal, yes. Total dick move, most definitely.
    I've had something like this happen where the difference between parking in the spot I typically used and a spot on the street was more like 8 or 10 feet. I lived in a four-plex and left my place one day to see one of the new tenants sitting in his car on the street. As soon as I left he wheeled in to the spot I had just vacated and went back inside. There wasn't assigned parking so it wasn't really a big deal, just really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

How narrow was your lot?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You want to really piss people off with parking, do like I do and park a 60' truck and trailer combination on the street when you own a 25' wide lot.

Actually, doesn't seem to bother the neighbors much, and it's for four or five days a year at most. But I'm anal about parking, so it bothers me to do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast