Quantcast
Want to store my 13' RV in backyard... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Want to store my 13' RV in backyard...

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Want to store my 13' RV in backyard...

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  88.1 KB

We want to store our 13 foot boler in the backyard mostly due to the fact that it currently takes up too much room in the garage and we are doing a basement reno soon and need the storage for that instead. It will go in the red area along side the far fence, we are going to put down a gravel pad and make that area flat as there is a slight hill.

We want to turn the blue section of fence (8 foot gap) into a gate, any ideas how we would go about it - could I use the section of existing fence and put some sort of hinge (possibly welded) onto the fence and a latch on the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    KTM

Depends on how the fence is constructed, are the sections welded together at every point so it would be solid if hinged? You could also stop in at "Home Rail" and see if they have a solution. Take a good pic of your current fence style so they know what you're working with.

How do you plan to move the Boler in? Hitch dolly type thing? Im guessing it will be a bit hard then you expect to manually roll it I had this issue with a small flat deck trailer in the past, haha it was a grind.
    Last edited by craigcd; 06-18-2018 at 10:18 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know where to look for this, but I seem to recall somewhere that storing an RV in the backyard is against bylaws? Because of how exposed to tge side street your yard is, I'd say there's a 100% chance you get called in for this, so be sure it's legal first. Maybe call 311?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Pretty sure the back yard is fine, my understanding is that as long as the trailer doesn't stick past the front of the house it is ok. Based on the first picture, I would be temped to park it up tight to the house in the "side yard" and call it a day. Maybe built a small privacy fence to hide it from the neighbors? Seems like a lot less work than snaking it all the way through the yard every time you want to park it?

RV parking in back yards and side yards is okay per the CoC's bylaws.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

My boler is really easy to push around and the yard is flat once it’s in the yard. Pushing up the street will prob require two ppl but that’s fine. There is a bunch of ppl storing their trailers in their yards and on their driveways in my neighbourhood

Bylaw:
    Par​​​king of RVs in a side yard setback is allowed under Land Use Bylaw 1P2007. The bylaw only limits the parking of Recreational Vehicles (RVs) in the actual front setback (for longer than 24 hours).​
    Last edited by nzwasp; 06-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

thanks everyone for clearing up my misconception. I never looked deep into it because my yard doesn't have room for anything. I know OP has a lot going on these days, would suck to put money and effort into this and then have bylaw problems.

Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Audi

Is the small strip of grass on the outside of the fence owned by you on the RPR? If not, then you need the property owner's consent. I investigated a similar situation and that strip of land was owned by the City, and they told while i could park the trailer in my backyard, they wouldn't let me cross their property to put it there.

My Ride
    Ford

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Is the small strip of grass on the outside of the fence owned by you on the RPR? If not, then you need the property owner's consent. I investigated a similar situation and that strip of land was owned by the City, and they told while i could park the trailer in my backyard, they wouldn't let me cross their property to put it there.
    if front attached garage. you dont own the first few meters in front of your house and people drive across the city owned land to park on their driveways everyday. If lane home. You dont own the first few meters at the back either and people cross it to get into their garages. If your house faced the side road you would cross it to get into your garage.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Like blair said - they own all sides of the front and side of my property and I still walk, drive across it everyday. I don't need or require their permission to park my RV so I doubt this would be a situation where I would need to ask them permission to cross that strip of grass.

I'd actually be more concerned if they wanted to tear down my greenhouse shown in that picture, which is sitting ontop of the URW. I read up the bylaws on that when I built it 5 years ago and it seemed to be if its sitting on top of the ground then its ok which it is. If they asked us to move it so they could do work there we could it wouldnt be impossible. Now my neighbours shed which is on the otherside of the fence directly behind the greenhouse he poured a 6" 10x10 concrete pad ontop of the URW and I think thats definitely not cool.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So, essentially, just go ahead and do it, knowing that if you ever go to sell the house, you may need to get rid of the gate.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I need to have a look at what other neighbors have there I somewhat recall that some might of even got the city to build a driveway type lip on the sidewalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Audi

The issue was I would "damage" the landscaping (grass) by backing my trailer over it, and more importantly I was essentially creating another driveway on a property that already had one.

The land use bylaw is a massive document and if you are unsure, simply just call them and ask. I'm only relating my experience trying to do something similar and I called bylaw since some people are really anal about trailers in their neighbourhood. If it's relevant, section 341 is the driveway section.

I never went ahead with it because I live on the main drive (where everyone driving by would see it), and I ended up getting my trailer to fit in my garage.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Lol I guess I can see their point however it’s my grass that I put down. I guess if I lived somewhere that had that strip of grass then sidewalk then more grass then they could claim it as their own. If ppl were that annoyed I would just change the fence to a wooden one