Quantcast
14-day registration rule - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 14-day registration rule

My Ride
    MR2

Default 14-day registration rule

Got a ticket for unauthorized plate. The plate I put on the car (let's call it plate A) was actively registered to another vehicle of mine which I sold. I had insurance and bill of sale for the current vehicle. It was within 14 days of the bill of sale. Cop said the plate is not found in their system, hence the ticket. The registration shows that it is active.

Later, I got the car registered to a different plate I had (let's call it plate B).

Spoke to JOP today, lady tells me the ticket is valid because I later registered the car to plate B instead of plate A. How is that relevant? How would the officer have known whether or not I planned to register it to plate A? She's basically saying that I got a ticket for something that I did a week after a got the ticket.

Besides, I can go to registry anytime and just swap the registration over to plate A. It's just sitting my house.

I now I have a trial date for next month. Wondering if theres any specific laws I should bring up to help my case

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

When was the car registered to plate A sold? You mentioned it was within 14 days, but it looks like you're talking about the car you just purchased. The 14 day rule starts from the time you sold the car, not the time you bought the car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    MR2

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When was the car registered to plate A sold? You mentioned it was within 14 days, but it looks like you're talking about the car you just purchased. The 14 day rule starts from the time you sold the car, not the time you bought the car.
    Fair enough, it was still within 14 of selling the vehicle registered to plate A. The officer didn't question me on that though, or even ask to see a bill of sale for the vehicle I sold. Also, the link below does not mention that the previous vehicle needs to be sold. Off topic but What if I just plan to store a vehicle unregistered and want to transfer the plate? Would the 14 day rule not apply?

https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

you have an outstanding ticket and you registered the car to Plate B? like.... why?!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    Fair enough, it was still within 14 of selling the vehicle registered to plate A. The officer didn't question me on that though, or even ask to see a bill of sale for the vehicle I sold. Also, the link below does not mention that the previous vehicle needs to be sold. Off topic but What if I just plan to store a vehicle unregistered and want to transfer the plate? Would the 14 day rule not apply?

https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx
    No, that link has incomplete information. The requirements to trigger the 14 day rule is that registration must be active, and that the vehicle has been sold. At least, that's from what I remember. So storing an unregistered vehicle wouldn't allow you to 14 day rule transfer the plate, as neither valid or sold has happened.

Lesson learned, don't bother using the 14 day rule, because nobody, including cops, know the exact letter of the law. It's not even in the TSA from what I remember. Registries are open on Sundays, so unless you're buying a car in the middle of the night, no reason not to deal with registration immediately.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue boy

When the person who bought car which was registered to Plate A registered the car, it would take it off your plate and show the plate as not registered in the system.

My Ride
    MR2

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    you have an outstanding ticket and you registered the car to Plate B? like.... why?!
    Because nothing in the lawbook states that it cannot be done? But also because the sticker was peeling off on Plate A, so instead of paying 20 bucks for a new sticker, the clerk recommended that I just register to plate A since that one is active also.

No, that link has incomplete information. The requirements to trigger the 14 day rule is that registration must be active, and that the vehicle has been sold. At least, that's from what I remember. So storing an unregistered vehicle wouldn't allow you to 14 day rule transfer the plate, as neither valid or sold has happened.

Lesson learned, don't bother using the 14 day rule, because nobody, including cops, know the exact letter of the law. It's not even in the TSA from what I remember. Registries are open on Sundays, so unless you're buying a car in the middle of the night, no reason not to deal with registration immediately.
    That's quite interesting, because when I asked the cop why my plate wouldn't show up in their system, he told me once a vehicle is sold, the plate is no longer active and is removed from the system. So when you say "the plate must be active and the vehicle sold", I wonder how that scenario could be possible, if a plate is declared inactive once a vehicle is sold? Unless the cop doesn't know what he's talking about

My Ride
    Blue boy

The whole scenario is weird, I was pulled over for plate not matching my vehicle before. All I had to do was show the cop proof of insurance and a bill of sale to show that I recently acquired the vehicle. I didn't have to show proof that I sold the other vehicle the plate was registered to. Also that link posted said that the 14-day rule doesn't apply to insurance, it does.

My Ride
    MR2

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    The whole scenario is weird, I was pulled over for plate not matching my vehicle before. All I had to do was show the cop proof of insurance and a bill of sale to show that I recently acquired the vehicle. I didn't have to show proof that I sold the other vehicle the plate was registered to. Also that link posted said that the 14-day rule doesn't apply to insurance, it does.
    I've been pulled over twice before in the same scenario as well. Both times the cops were cool with it once I showed them the bill of sale. Didn't have to show bill of sale for the sold vehicle either. Don't know why this time is different. The cop was pretty cool about it, he even brought me back to his cruiser and showed me his computer screen to prove that it's not showing up and he has no choice but to cite a ticket. He told me I'd be fine if I bring the paperwork to court. I figured it was just a glitch in their system or something

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Neat, found a thread with actual details, as well as where the law exists (it's buried in the MVAA).

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/351...a-vehicle-home

edit - above thread is a great read, contributions from registry (dannie) and insurance (Masked Bandit) experts, as well as legal analysis.

Specific to the registration portion:

(3) At any time during the registration year for which the licence plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to the Minister to use the plates on another vehicle to be registered in that person's name, if the application is made within 14 days after acquiring ownership of the other vehicle and, notwithstanding sections 34 and 51, that person may display the plates on the newly acquired vehicle and operate or permit another person to operate the vehicle on a highway during that 14-day period.
    Talk about fucked up wording. The first part notes the registration year (odd here because you can actually register for 2 years now) meaning registration must be valid. The second part only talks about registering the new vehicle in your name and not a transfer, so it doesn't matter if you register plate A or plate B. It also looks like the 14 day rule is from when you BOUGHT the vehicle, not when you sold the vehicle. You don't actually even have to sell the vehicle.

What's even more interesting is that the MVAA referenced has been repealed and replaced by the TSA: http://canlii.ca/t/81w5

The TSA doesn't have any reference to the 14-day rule, so I have no idea if the 14-day rule is even valid since May 20th, 2003 when it was repealed along with the old MVAA. @dannie referenced the updated TSA but I can't find any reference to the 14 day rule.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Neat, found a thread with actual details, as well as where the law exists (it's buried in the MVAA).

Talk about fucked up wording. The first part notes the registration year (odd here because you can actually register for 2 years now) meaning registration must be valid. The second part only talks about registering the new vehicle in your name and not a transfer, so it doesn't matter if you register plate A or plate B. It also looks like the 14 day rule is from when you BOUGHT the vehicle, not when you sold the vehicle. You don't actually even have to sell the vehicle.

What's even more interesting is that the MVAA referenced has been repealed and replaced by the TSA: http://canlii.ca/t/81w5

The TSA doesn't have any reference to the 14-day rule, so I have no idea if the 14-day rule is even valid since May 20th, 2003 when it was repealed along with the old MVAA.
    Here is a more recent conversation too about the 14 day rule:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/404...ff-14-day-rule

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Here is a more recent conversation too about the 14 day rule:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/404...ff-14-day-rule
    Yea, that was more for insurance though.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

That was my understanding as well. Because it doesn't make sense that you need to sell Car A and still have valid Plate A.

i.e. I own Car A, insured, and registered Plate A
    Go and buy Car B, get it insured, I can use Plate A on either car for 14 days at which point I have to figure out how to register Car B. (obtain new plate B, sell car A and transfer registration/plate, other?) Obviously, don't be telling legal that you're swapping back and forth in the meantime...

edit: as per @dannie in the other thread, the legality is that Car B will be registered to Plate A
    Last edited by jwslam; 06-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.

You guys cannot find the rules because it’s not in the TSA.. it’s in the OLVCR. I know we don’t know the letter of the law but we do know if it’s illegal or not, and at least where to find it (stares at rage2)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_320.pdf
    Last edited by phil98z24; 06-20-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    That was my understanding as well. Because it doesn't make sense that you need to sell Car A and still have valid Plate A.

i.e. I own Car A, insured, and registered Plate A
    Go and buy Car B, get it insured, I can use Plate A on either car for 14 days at which point I have to figure out how to register Car B. (obtain new plate B, sell car A and transfer registration/plate, other?) Obviously, don't be telling legal that you're swapping back and forth in the meantime...

edit: as per @dannie in the other thread, the legality is that Car B will be registered to Plate A
    When you sell car A, it’s registration with that plate is immediately voided. If you intend to use the plate on car B, you can do it for 14 days from date of ownership, not 14 days from the date you use the plate on car B. Otherwise, it’s unauthorized use and/or operate unregistered.

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

edit - above thread is a great read, contributions from registry (dannie) and insurance (Masked Bandit) experts, as well as legal analysis.

The TSA doesn't have any reference to the 14-day rule, so I have no idea if the 14-day rule is even valid since May 20th, 2003 when it was repealed along with the old MVAA. @dannie referenced the updated TSA but I can't find any reference to the 14 day rule.
    Thanks for finding that Rage, I didn't want to have to type out all the nuances...lol
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by phil98z24 View Post
    When you sell car A, it’s registration with that plate is immediately voided. If you intend to use the plate on car B, you can do it for 14 days from date of ownership, not 14 days from the date you use the plate on car B. Otherwise, it’s unauthorized use and/or operate unregistered.
    Hey Phil, nice to see you back!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You guys cannot find the rules because it’s not in the TSA.. it’s in the OLVCR. I know we don’t know the letter of the law but we do know if it’s illegal or not, and at least where to find it (stares at rage2)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_320.pdf
    Called out.

Relevant text:

(3) The licence plate may be displayed on the newly acquired vehicle for not more than 14 days from the date its ownership passes to the new owner if the new owner intends
    (a) to apply to register the vehicle, and
    (b) to have the displayed licence plate reissued for use on the vehicle.
    So does that mean any old plate that was registered to me, even if it hasn't been registered in a while, can be used as a temporary plate for 14 days from the bill of sale of the new car that I'm putting it on, as long as I register that plate to that car within 14 days? Absolutely nothing to do with the sale of the original car in which the plate was last registered to?

More for a curiosity sake than anything, I'm never this lazy when it comes to buying cars haha.

edit- looks like a no. This addresses it, again in shitty wording:

(1) If ownership of a private passenger vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may operate, or permit another person to operate, the newly acquired motor vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another private passenger vehicle.
    The plate has to be registered to another private passenger vehicle. Which is fucked because:

When you sell car A, it’s registration with that plate is immediately voided.

I was recently pulled over in a vehicle I purchased and used my plate from my other car. This was 3 days after purchase. I showed the cop my bill of sale and registration for that plate.

He told me the 14 day rule is only for transporting or parking the purchased vehicle. Some back and forth but luckily he didn't ticket me on it. Not sure if he was right or not.

Called out.

Relevant text:

So does that mean any old plate that was registered to me, even if it hasn't been registered in a while, can be used as a temporary plate for 14 days from the bill of sale of the new car that I'm putting it on, as long as I register that plate to that car within 14 days? Absolutely nothing to do with the sale of the original car in which the plate was last registered to?

More for a curiosity sake than anything, I'm never this lazy when it comes to buying cars haha.

edit- looks like a no. This addresses it, again in shitty wording:

The plate has to be registered to another private passenger vehicle. Which is fucked because:
    I’ve read over the relevant sections again and as best I can tell, so long as you register the car with that plate whether it’s still registered to something or not, you’ll be fine. Again, if you could only do it with an “active” plate than you’d still be screwed when you sell the car it’s already registered to, whether it’s 1 day or 2 years. All good!

As far as allowing someone to take it with their plate, all they’re saying is you’re ok to sell it to them and let them drive away with the car that’s still legally registered to you, bearing a plate of theirs that is registered to them. It doesn’t say it has to be currently registered to a vehicle, just issued with respect to the registration of another vehicle. Subtle difference in wording but it means something very different, at least to me.
    Last edited by phil98z24; 06-20-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast