Quantcast
14-day registration rule - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 14-day registration rule

Quote Originally Posted by phil98z24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve read over the relevant sections again and as best I can tell, so long as you register the car with that plate whether it’s still registered to something or not, you’ll be fine. Again, if you could only do it with an “active” plate than you’d still be screwed when you sell the car it’s already registered to, whether it’s 1 day or 2 years. All good!

As far as allowing someone to take it with their plate, all they’re saying is you’re ok to sell it to them and let them drive away with the car that’s still legally registered to you, bearing a plate of theirs that is registered to them. It doesn’t say it has to be currently registered to a vehicle, just issued with respect to the registration of another vehicle. Subtle difference in wording but it means something very different, at least to me.
    From personal experience although plate numbers are technically yours for life plates left inactive are ‘decommissioned’ from the registry system and aren’t considered valid. At least that was how it was explained to me at the registry. I believe there is a process to have the number reinstated in the registry system

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 96integra View Post
    I was recently pulled over in a vehicle I purchased and used my plate from my other car. This was 3 days after purchase. I showed the cop my bill of sale and registration for that plate.

He told me the 14 day rule is only for transporting or parking the purchased vehicle. Some back and forth but luckily he didn't ticket me on it. Not sure if he was right or not.
    He didn't ticket you because he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

For the original poster - what I see the issue being is that you didnt transfer the plate. The 14 day rule is that you can do it if that plate is going to be registered to that vehicle. You can't take your plate off the BMW that you sold, put it on your new Porsche for 14 days and then roll into the registry and get a new plate. The key is you HAVE to use the plate that you used off the BMW.

As far as the validity of the plates, they do expire but ownership never goes away. So, the officer may have used the wording that he can't find the plate, but it's not technically correct. Any licence plate issued in AB since 1983 will populate in my system and the police systems. It will give an owner unless the individual physically went to the registry, handed it over to the agent, signed paperwork and the Gov took over possession of that plate. As an agent, I type in your name and I can retrieve every plate you've ever had, regardless of when it expired or if its "attached" to a vehicle in our system.

At the end of the day, because you didn't register the plate you were using to the car - the ticket stands.

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    For the original poster - what I see the issue being is that you didnt transfer the plate. The 14 day rule is that you can do it if that plate is going to be registered to that vehicle. You can't take your plate off the BMW that you sold, put it on your new Porsche for 14 days and then roll into the registry and get a new plate. The key is you HAVE to use the plate that you used off the BMW.

As far as the validity of the plates, they do expire but ownership never goes away. So, the officer may have used the wording that he can't find the plate, but it's not technically correct. Any licence plate issued in AB since 1983 will populate in my system and the police systems. It will give an owner unless the individual physically went to the registry, handed it over to the agent, signed paperwork and the Gov took over possession of that plate. As an agent, I type in your name and I can retrieve every plate you've ever had, regardless of when it expired or if its "attached" to a vehicle in our system.

At the end of the day, because you didn't register the plate you were using to the car - the ticket stands.
    So that means I could register my 1984 motorcycle plate on a new motorbike - it would look odd because that vintage of plate is quite a bit larger than the current motorcycle plates.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    So that means I could register my 1984 motorcycle plate on a new motorbike - it would look odd because that vintage of plate is quite a bit larger than the current motorcycle plates.
    What I said was that the plate will populate on the database. I didn't say it would be registerable.

For motorcycles, classification of plates changed in 2003-2005 sometime (i dont recall which year). So, if you have a plate from prior to that and you've consecutively registered it with no expiration, yes you could. However, if you let it lapse anytime after those years, no. They do not work with our database any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    From personal experience although plate numbers are technically yours for life plates left inactive are ‘decommissioned’ from the registry system and aren’t considered valid. At least that was how it was explained to me at the registry. I believe there is a process to have the number reinstated in the registry system
    It’s as simple as bringing the plate to the registry and filling out a quick form. I just reactivated an Alberta plate that expired in June 2009. Looks funny right now as the left side sticker is still ‘08 and the right side is ‘19. Cost was the same to reactivate the old plate vs being issued a new one.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Since the topic was under discussion...

If I am reading this correctly, if I have in intention of registering the vehicle with the old plate. I can toss that plate on, no matter how long it has been expired for (within reason as mentioned), and use that plate legally for 14 days from date on BOS?

I'm just finalizing paperwork, and would like to drive the car tomorrow but registry is closed for evening. Technically car was sold today so old plate and reg are now void, so its more legal to toss the old plate sitting in the garage from 2 cars ago on until I get to a registry tomorrow evening?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

dannie is the authority on the registration end but my understanding is that the "transferred" (old) plate still needs to have valid stickers.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    99 Blazer

I bought a car last week, slapped an expired in 03 plate on it and went straight to the registry, they wouldn't re activate it, I wanted to stay 6 digit club forever haha. Anyway they issued a new plate, but I didn't take any tools with me and I had some errands to run so I left the plate on for a couple hours. That's my story kind of curious what would have happened lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2