Quantcast
Tourist SIM card - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tourist SIM card

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Tourist SIM card

A couple of years ago, my family went to Europe and we bought a SIM card in London that we used in our phone through Portugal, Spain, France and the UK and we are heading there again but now going to Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic and Belgium and want to get another SIM card to use but I'm wondering if it's possible to get a card here that will work over there instead of having to buy one when we land. Anyone do this before or am I stuck with getting a card over in Europe?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I looked into this recently and you can do either option. Amazon and other vendors have "global" sim cards, but they tend to cost more than the ones you can pickup after you land. Also, make sure to find the ones that allow tethering so you can use your iPad/Laptop/etc in case the hotel WiFi sucks.

This one seems alright: https://www.amazon.ca/Orange-Holiday...9639840&sr=1-5

When are you going?

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I looked into this recently and you can do either option. Amazon and other vendors have "global" sim cards, but they tend to cost more than the ones you can pickup after you land. Also, make sure to find the ones that allow tethering so you can use your iPad/Laptop/etc in case the hotel WiFi sucks.

When are you going?
    Leaving on the 4th of July. Yeah, we remember it being a bit pricier if we were to have bought it here and we ended up picking one up in the UK. Our first stop is Turkey so I guess I'm just wondering if we were to buy one in Turkey, if it would work for the rest of our trip.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    M3P

Leo - Curious to hear what you think of Turkey when you get back - I'll be in Istanbul as a stopover for my honeymoon in August. When are you back?

I'd suggest getting a pocket WiFi instead - your whole family can connect to it, and it works in most countries. We used this one in Hungary, Czech Republic, UK, Slovakia, Austria, and Germany:

https://hippocketwifi.com/en/pocket-wifi-europe-rental/

You rely on WiFi so much while traveling that it pays for itself in a day or two. Speed was around 25 Mbps in most places which was plenty for light use.

No Turkey coverage I don't think though - could be an issue for you (I didn't even think you could go there safely right now)

Way less hassle than dealing with SIM cards IMHO, and everyone can use it. We used a Pocket WiFi in Japan too and it was definitely the way to go.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Leo - Curious to hear what you think of Turkey when you get back - I'll be in Istanbul as a stopover for my honeymoon in August. When are you back?
    We are scheduled to be back on Calgary by the end of July so yeah, I'll let you know what I can about our stay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I'd suggest getting a pocket WiFi instead - your whole family can connect to it, and it works in most countries. We used this one in Hungary, Czech Republic, UK, Slovakia, Austria, and Germany:

You rely on WiFi so much while traveling that it pays for itself in a day or two. Speed was around 25 Mbps in most places which was plenty for light use.

No Turkey coverage I don't think though - could be an issue for you (I didn't even think you could go there safely right now)

Way less hassle than dealing with SIM cards IMHO, and everyone can use it. We used a Pocket WiFi in Japan too and it was definitely the way to go.
    Awesome. I'll look into that this weekend. As for Turkey, nothing too dramatic at the moment but was told to stay away from the Syria side so of course, we won't be going that way.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

In Europe and got both Pocket Wifi and a Simcard

With the Pocket Wifi if its unlocked you can put any sim card in which is nice (Wonder if it will work in Canada Ill find out)

I'm currently in Poland and paying 49zl ($17.50cad) and its only unlimited internet for a month. I learned it has 2 be a certain sim to find "PLAY NA INTERNET" and it was a bitch to find paid around $1.50 for the card but went to around 7 stores first and ended up finding it at the post office.

I got a phone one here as well and its 25zl for 6gb of data and unlimited text and talk for a month (There are cheaper plans with less data) can do like 2GB each for $3 for 14 days I think the cards are cheap..

I know a new rule came into effect for all of Poland that you MUST register the sim card so not everyone sells them now (takes 5 minutes)

I'm assuming both should work abroad (not sure about turkey) but in the EU countries you will be fine.

You can just buy a slip with a number (After you paid) and load it up when you want if you run out of $$ on your sim.. Can do it online too afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post

When are you going?
    Man this card is around $15 total in Europe for 5 minutes of work and you will have to register it as well before it works anyways I think so stopping at a store and just picking it up, seems like a solid business if people are buying them for $60

Using this for my mobile internet

https://www.mediaexpert.pl/routery-3...Fc-aGAodG88JJQ

Not sure about the price seems steep $150CAD roughly..

But it does the job

Cousin got an unlocked one for me for free...

I use the Wifi device as my main internet here (It's stable) but it didn't really work on the train nor did my phone (PLAY)

And The house internet I use as a backup (Its not as stable since I dont have it directly hookedup to my laptop (ORANGE signal not as good)

And I got my phone as a 3rd internet in case (PLAY)
    Last edited by Kobe; 06-23-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    We are scheduled to be back on Calgary by the end of July so yeah, I'll let you know what I can about our stay.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome. I'll look into that this weekend. As for Turkey, nothing too dramatic at the moment but was told to stay away from the Syria side so of course, we won't be going that way.
    So how was Turkey?