Quantcast
Land title transfer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Land title transfer

Default Land title transfer

Hello,

Has anyone ever filled out a land title transfer from the land title office in calgary. I'm trying to add names to the title but after reading the form numerous times, it's a bit out of my league. There is no mortgage on the house. I contacted several law firms which gave me quotes from $400-600 per hour, cost of filling the form, additional office supply cost etc. I'm not too shy to say I can't afford a lawyer to do this because I'm low on funds otherwise I would have a lawyer do this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For what purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

just in case something happens to me..., been watching too many documentaries that got me to think that i should add names to the title.
    marching to the beat of my own drum.

Is this a wife, a GF, BF, sister, brother? Never filled out a form but I am interested in more details from you on this. If it's a legal marriage then no reason to add a spouse as they are already legally entitled and anyone else might be better served in a will. Of course my statements are generalized and I'm not a lawyer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd like to educate myself, can anyone explain what the possible consequences are of NOT doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Unless you are worried about ID Theft and someone take out a HELOC on your property, you taking out a HELOC yourself and not using it would achieve the same goal.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

I've done something similar to this where my parents, brother and I all owned the condo that I lived in and I transferred the title solely to myself. This is the reverse but I think the general procedure would for you to transfer title from yourself to yourself and spouse (or whomever you want added to your title). First things first, are you married/common law and has your spouse resided in the house in question since your marriage/comon law relationship? If so they have Dower rights to the property and you will need their consent to transfer the title.

Transfer of land instructions https://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/ltmanual/TRF-1.pdf

Form 8 (Transfer of Land)
    https://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/lt...ER_OF_LAND.pdf

Ok, first page of Form 8 is straight forward
    I, A.R.Bull (as it appears on your title), of Calgary Alberta
    being registered owner of an estate in fee simple, subject to registered encumbrances, liens and interests, if any, in all that land described as follows: Lot X, Block X, Plan XXX XXXX (you can find this on your Certificate of Title)

do hereby, in consideration of $1 Dollars
    transfer to:

A.R.Bull and The Other Person

You need a witness to sign Form 8 and fill out Form 31 (affidavit of execution, also signed by Commissioner of Oaths). If your spouse has Dower rights they need to sign Form 8 as well (otherwise leave it blank or N/A the blanks). Now I'm not too sure about Form B and C of the Dower Act, but I suppose if you are adding your spouse to the title then maybe you can forego the Dower portion of the forms. I'll look into this next week. Fill in the Affidavit of Value for the Land, also to be signed by a commissioner of oaths. This is mainly to determine the fees for this transfer ($50 plus $1 for every $5000 of the value of the land).

Ok, that's the end of the forms, now you have to go to SPIN2 https://alta.registries.gov.ab.ca/SpinII/logon.aspx to create a DRR (tells LTO that they should be expecting a package from you for registration. Go to guest login, click I Agree, then click DRR at the top of the screen. now click Create DRR and fill out the following

LTO Location: Calgary
    Given Name:
    Address/City/Province/Postal Code:

click the method of payment
    fill in name of requester, phone and email

Select how you want the forms returned back to you

In Document type: select Transfer of Land
    Rights: Surface

Land IDs: type in your lot, block and plan number

Click add document, then click create DRR. Save and print off the DRR as this is part of the package you will send to LTO. The order of the documents is important so going from top to bottom: DRR, Transfer Form 8, Form 31, Dower Forms (to be determined), Affidavit of value, and a cheque for the fees( or you can select to pick it up and pay at that time). Select if you want LTO to send you back your new C of T. Mail the package to Calgary LTO and wait for confirmation.

This may not be everything but it should get you started in the right direction.

My Ride
    NC1

^^^ Yes.

The process is fairly straightforward and it can be done at land titles downtown.