Quantcast
Any fly fishers here? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Any fly fishers here?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Default Any fly fishers here?

Thinking about picking up a kit to play around with this summer. Question is what weight should I go for? Would be mostly on the Oldman river so I'm guessing bull and cut throat, but tbh I know almost nothing about fishing so can't say much more than that - all I know is I google told me 4 weight for cut throat and 7 weight for bull but not looking to buy two setups right now. Guess that depends which fish is more common?

Any advice is welcome - I should probably take a class but that puts the whole thing over what I feel like spending right now.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Get a 5. The oldman is always windy, and this will do pretty well everything but monster streamers for bulls.

You don’t need to take a class, but go to a fly shop and pick their brains. Iron Bow is where it’s at. A class will greatly reduce your learning curve as it’s not as straight forward as you’d think

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Best advice I ever got about fly fishing was that every second your fly is in the air is a second it's not in front of the fish. So relax about the pretty casing and get that shit in the water.

Unless you get some personal satisfaction from the art of casting, which some people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I have nothing to add. But this thread reminded me of a old UK TV ad.
    I felt compelled to share.

I’ve had the same $200 TFO 6 weight for the last 12 years, and I think that’s the best compromise. 5 weigh works too, if you’re more cutty focused. I’ve broken some sections along the way, and I like that I can replace them instead of having to dish out for a whole rod. My reel is also bottom level quality, but has served me very well. What I would spend money on though is a good quality floating fly line and if possible getting another spool for your reel with a sinking line. Tossing streamers with a floating line is an exercise in futility.

As far as learning, I would definitely either take a class or bribe someone to take you along. Don’t underestimate how long, tedious and frustrating the process can be. You’re much better off tagging along with someone or paying a few hundred to pick someone’s brain for a day. Unless you know the patterns of the fish, diet, where the hold, how to wade, etc. you won’t be catching anything for a while.

Finally, you’re probably better off here:
    https://flyfusionforums.com/board/

My Ride
    something green

You'll find in the beginning a short leader and tippet is easier to control and cast, but the longer you can make it, I find the more fish you will catch. And learn to stand far back of the bank, if you stand right at the edge, fish will see you as hovering above the water. Reading water and light, smooth presentation is the key. So many people cast the thick fly line right down onto the fish and whip it in disrupting the surface.
    Too loud for Aspen