When the landlord tenant relationship has gone to sh-t - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When the landlord tenant relationship has gone to sh-t

My Ride
    4x4

Default When the landlord tenant relationship has gone to sh-t

FML.

Ok, help me out beyond.

Landlord didnt like being told she was a douche and was crossing lines that needed to be respected.

Now she's causing issues daily. And is escalating daily. Where the Frick do I go from here?

1yr lease Dec 15- dec 15. She Gave a 90 day notice of termination on Jun 1 to have family occupy. Every day I get a nasty text demanding to know when I'm moving out so she can begin Reno's to prepare for her daughter's moving in.

Weekly get demands randomly that I do things not in lease, banging on door calling texting demanding I help with yardcare (never notice, just a she's doing it now I need to help). Last week it was I'm doing a dump run in 10 load up your garbage, lease doesn't include Garbage removal. Today there's a magic demand I remove my items from her garage which was negotiated storage when I moved in but not written on lease. Started moving them to find many items had gone missing. Bit my tongue, may have let out a nasty comment when I went to leave tonight and found for the first time ever my vehicle had a dead battery. The car battery charger was the first thing I noticed had gone missing (it's bigger it was right on top of my boxes - I had my hands on it on Wednesday while repacking preparing to move again). Followed by her making a "oh your headlights were on the other day" but light switches were off as we're both dome light controls - first thing I checked when I found no power at key on...

Through the winter I was letting her know just about every day when she left her headlights on in the f350... But she notices and doesn't let me know - she claims.

Yeah...

It's all gone to shit over a dog believe it or not. When my dog passed, it wasn't good. She ok'd a new dog. Well that's when the problems started - I was doing my regular training, kennel training, on leash outside, etc. She decided she couldn't allow the puppy to be kenneled. So she'd come into my unit whenever I left as soon as I left and let the puppy outside. She took him with her to do morning chores on the farm every morning, while I was taking my son to daycare/school.

2 months later - suddenly there's an issue. Puppy was chasing horses, puppy was making a huge racket anytime he was left home. Puppy was doing his business on the front lawn, there are 5-6 dogs here on a weekly basis, somehow she believes mine should only pee/poop in a designated area, but the others are free to go wherever.

And I threw a fit about the landlord letting herself into my unit at random without notice to let the dog out of his kennel.

Then one day she decided to put him inside my suite, not in his kennel. And locked her daughters puppy in the foyer outside my suite - not in her unit, in the common area. These two are collies - feet apart seperated by a door.

Dog scratched up the drywall trying to get to his friend. Was left in his kennel, should have been in his kennel. Do have video of her entering suite, letting go him out of kennel & returning him to suite but not returning to kennel that morning.

So that brought on the your dog destroyed my house crap.

I don't even know where to go from here. Landlord is clearly nuts, doesn't give 2 fucks what landlord tenant says. Is supremely pissed I sent her the video of her creating the situation that caused the damage and the link to landlord tenant showing she's not entitled to withhold damage deposit (she refused to do a move in inspection "I have pictures that's enough").

My understanding was moving out before 90days I could be held liable for remaining period? Needless to say comunication is so sour I try to avoid any contact with her, but clearly it's going to get worse.

Any ideas?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Step 1: Document everything. Sit down and write out everything in detail. Dates, info, time, everything you have and can remember. Keep this list and add to it anytime you remember things or new things happen.

Others will probably have better advice but I believe you can file a dispute with the 'Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service'. Info: http://servicealberta.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm and may be able to go after her for something. Also I think you need to actually consider filing a police report over her trespassing and entering your properly repeatedly. She is NOT allowed to enter your premise without sufficient notice (24hrs? 48hrs?) and she is basically stealing your dog and taking him with her. This may be advisable because then its documented and things seem to be escalating so I'd wager the next while won't be pleasant.

If it was me I'd suggest documenting everything, filing some kind of dispute or complaint with an official body so you have some record of it, find a new place and just pack up and walk away. Fuck her. The only way she can come after you is if she tries to sue you in civil court which you can fight back with sufficient documentation and your disputes/complaints.

But someone probably has better advice than this.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 06-25-2018 at 01:41 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Buy a house
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    4x4

Been there done that...

And then the crazy ex struck. And decided to destroy a business, create debt where equity once existed and send me down a path to bankruptcy.

So it's going to be a while. Lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get everything of value out of there, she's clearly going to steal everything she can, and isn't even trying to be reasonable. Document costs of temporary storage etc for eventual lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

fish down the heating vents when you leave.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Silverado

Give her a honey pot. Buy a small GPS tag online and put it in something she would steal. Leave that out. Document her stealing. Or just tape it happening. Set up a drop cam in the garage.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    +1

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    I have some in the freezer if anyone wants it.

But document.. call the cops... talk to the tenancy board. If you have enough evidence should be no reason you can't break the lease and get out.

Have her charged for break and enter into your unit. I would call the landlord advisory board for advice... I would also ask her if you could move out sooner if you found a place. The sooner your out the better.

Once your out sue her in small claims for costs to move, missing items and overall harassment.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Call RTDRS. Call CPS. Both are very helpful.

90 day notice for family doesn't apply to fixed term leases according to RTDRS. Cops will deal with her if she's trespassing.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Buy a house
    Not funny or helpful.

Purchase a hidden camera and as mentioned, she is trespassing. As much as it really is a pain in the ass to find a new place, I’d suggest it. Breaking the lease would be very easy here.

At best landlords can fine tenants, at worst someone midnight moves and you’re fucked. The board often sides with the tenant and this is pretty damn clear cut. Your landlord is both crazy and stupid, but fortunately the law is there to back you.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Buy a house
    Very funny and helpful...

My Ride
    Bicycle

With rental market so a shit show, and AirBnB can be had for $50/night.

Get out.

Concrete in the toilets.

My Ride
    4x4

Red coated horse fuc........ Anyway... Yeah they came back with its a civil matter because she claimed she was in my suite to access the electrical panel. Even though video shows she didn't enter that room.

Pet friendly, 2br in my price range preferably without switching son's schools - is challenging. Worse with a bad landlord reference now

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Red coated horse fuc........ Anyway... Yeah they came back with its a civil matter because she claimed she was in my suite to access the electrical panel. Even though video shows she didn't enter that room.

Pet friendly, 2br in my price range preferably without switching son's schools - is challenging. Worse with a bad landlord reference now
    I would consider good credit over a single, whacked out land lord's reference. A second reference would be good too.

What area are you looking at? Price range?

Its a renters market. You won't need outstanding landlord references to get a place.

My Ride
    TL

see if you can try and set up a sublet to take on the remaining of the lease. the tenant board will not take kindly if she rejects the sublet, so make sure you document it. if someone takes over, you're golden and get out. the only hard part is getting you damage deposit back, which is always a risk.

if you don't want to screw someone else over on a sublease, since she's such a bad landlord. just end up leaving and risk going to tenant board where she may claim lost rent. in this market she'll probably only get 1-2 months from you. may be worth the risk if you have a long lease.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast