Thread: Advice for a soon-to-be father

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

- learn how birth control works
    - buy DeLoreon
    - buy Sports Almanac
    - profit
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yup, you definitely know that having been in baby stuff sales but i'll play the "nobody ever told us" card here. Doesn't help we got a hand-down used crib so never read any instructions that probably tell you to do this in big red letters.
    Same thing happened to us, except the crib was in the furthest down position. Didn't realize it had other positions until she was in a normal bed, and I was taking the crib apart for storage, lol. A lot of needless bending over to pick her up.

My Ride
    V8s

Also, probably won't be useful for OP, but for anyone else that stumbles across this... instead of getting a purpose built baby cam, just go on amazon and get a Wyze cam or two. They're super cheap, great streaming video, night vision and can be viewed from any of your mobile devices. Plus they'll be useful once the baby is done if you want cameras in other places.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

So although Im not there yet, here a pro tip from someone who worked in the baby gear industry for 7 years:

If baby sleeps in it, is transported in it, or sits in it, read the damn manual. So many preventable accidents from learning the proper usage guidelines. DO NOT invent uses for baby gear.

Carseat is probably #1. Over 90% of parents are using them incorrectly. I've inspected 100s and hardly anyone ever had it right, with an average of 3 errors/inspection. It takes only 45 minutes for you and partner to sit down, go through its usage guidelines, and then practice installing it together. Should never be a mom or dad only responsibility.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Heres a good one.. always keep a spare outfit, or two or three on you at all times. The amount of 'out the back/out the sides' can be overwhelming if you are not prepared.
    We found the Costco baby wipes to be the best... also keep a separate pack in all vehicles, stroller etc.

I also find it kinda funny that people are giving you gear advice... with your family owning a baby store and you running it!

My Ride
    bus

+1 on the Wyze cam, super cheap compared to what’s out there and works good.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    We found the Costco baby wipes to be the best... also keep a separate pack in all vehicles, stroller etc.
    !
    I'm not a costco guy at all, but we loved the kirkland wipes and diapers (once we gave up on washable diapers). Beat out name brand stuff in quality and fit for our kids. fit is insanely variable from kid to kid though.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My kids are 10 & 7 now... definitely make sure you capture as many of the moments as you can, it’s cool to look back on their early years down the road and get a chance to see how tiny they once were.

Also, be prepared to be broke all the time, kids just get more and more expensive. Haha.

My wife wants to start trying soon, and I sort of want to as well, but the thought of not having a healthy baby just scares the crap out of me. As bad as it sounds I would just hate to have a child with a life changing disorder or some sort.

Anyone ever had this prior to having kids? Any suggestions on ways to get over this fear?

My Ride
    Silverado

They check the fetus size and a few key ratios at the first ultrasound. If there are risks of issues you can get further testing done to know. What you do with those results can lead to very difficult decisions I dont wish on anyone

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by masoncgy View Post
    Also, be prepared to be broke all the time, kids just get more and more expensive. Haha.
    true story, no matter what your current spending habits, you will spend more on your kids than you expect and more than you ever spent on yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I find that I often cheap out on myself. Hold back on buying even clothing and such. For my kids and wife I just say don't worry. Be sensible but don't cheap out. But all in all yes it can get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    My wife wants to start trying soon, and I sort of want to as well, but the thought of not having a healthy baby just scares the crap out of me. As bad as it sounds I would just hate to have a child with a life changing disorder or some sort.

Anyone ever had this prior to having kids? Any suggestions on ways to get over this fear?
    It’s a legit concern and at least for me I still think about it even now after he was born since some things don’t show until they are older (autism for example). The only thing that helped me was looking at stats on how rare these things are but even then it’s basically all luck... you just gotta go with it when you think it’s time ready and try not to think of the bad possibilities.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I have a one month old today.

My experience is that it has been tough. My wife watches the baby at night from midnight on while i sleep and during they day while i go to work. I watch her as soon as a get home till midnight so my wife can sleep. The team effort has worked well bu its been hard to get things done.

Momaroo has helped to free up my hands while she is awake.

Watching lots more tv and movies than i have in years but its mostly alone as if I am home the wife needs to sleep.

Counting down to the 3 months mark which coincidentally is when I start my evening MBA classes.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I also find it kinda funny that people are giving you gear advice... with your family owning a baby store and you running it!
    I left in April :S
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My last kid graduated high school yesterday so I am a little long in the tooth in regards to the shit for infants etc nowadays, but the best advice I can give is take advice with a grain of salt and have no expectations because everybody's experiences are different. Basically , just learn how to roll with it and don't try comparing yourself to all the douchebag parents who tell you how to do shit. Your baby will be what he or she will be and all you can do is adapt to what is happening in the moment.

Other than that, don't be a new school, wooey woo, everything is mystical helicopter parent whose kid can never do wrong. That is the shit that has fucked everything up. If little Johnny behaves like a dick, punish him. If he does well, reward him. Your not his best friend first and a parent second. It is the other way around. Pretty simple in that regard. The rest is just hard work with great rewards!

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    So although Im not there yet, here a pro tip from someone who worked in the baby gear industry for 7 years:

If baby sleeps in it, is transported in it, or sits in it, read the damn manual. So many preventable accidents from learning the proper usage guidelines. DO NOT invent uses for baby gear.

Carseat is probably #1. Over 90% of parents are using them incorrectly. I've inspected 100s and hardly anyone ever had it right, with an average of 3 errors/inspection. It takes only 45 minutes for you and partner to sit down, go through its usage guidelines, and then practice installing it together. Should never be a mom or dad only responsibility.

How is that possible? I have the uppababy cruz with bases in each of our vehicle and the damn thing is nearly fool proof.

Heres a good one.. always keep a spare outfit, or two or three on you at all times. The amount of 'out the back/out the sides' can be overwhelming if you are not prepared.

We also always kept a one gallon ice cream bucket with a lid and a roll of toilet paper inside in our vehicle - it came in handy more times than I care to remember. Baby wipes, our kids are all gone but we still keep packages of wipes in our vehicles, so many uses for them.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    My last kid graduated high school yesterday so I am a little long in the tooth in regards to the shit for infants etc nowadays, but the best advice I can give is take advice with a grain of salt and have no expectations because everybody's experiences are different. Basically , just learn how to roll with it and don't try comparing yourself to all the douchebag parents who tell you how to do shit. Your baby will be what he or she will be and all you can do is adapt to what is happening in the moment.

Other than that, don't be a new school, wooey woo, everything is mystical helicopter parent whose kid can never do wrong. That is the shit that has fucked everything up. If little Johnny behaves like a dick, punish him. If he does well, reward him. Your not his best friend first and a parent second. It is the other way around. Pretty simple in that regard. The rest is just hard work with great rewards!
    Last kid just graduated? Damn you look young for that to already have happened, mustn't have had any girls because they'll give you way more grief and grey hair than boys.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Last kid just graduated? Damn you look young for that to already have happened, mustn't have had any girls because they'll give you way more grief and grey hair than boys.
    It was my baby girl who graduated! My son graduated 3 years ago... Time flies!
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-01-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast