Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Owned 911 GT2 RS on Bring A Trailer

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Default Calgary Owned 911 GT2 RS on Bring A Trailer

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

widowmaker

My Ride
    99 Blazer

What is the joke on the price? Is that a site thing? That is way under my most recent car search budget and that probably wouldn't get the l/100kms I was after I'd probably be ok paying extra and running the miles on my truck, if I could drive that on days off.

My Ride
    Ram

kulu's there is a reserve price on BAT

Beautiful car, but with that mileage i'd be afraid to drive it. What are these worth now? I see comparables for around $500k USD, but wonder if it being 1/10 Canadian spec further increases the price. Also tough to justify with the latest edition being released for less coin, mind you they are all PDK.

How much does everyone think it will sell for?? My guess is $550k US

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beautiful car, but with that mileage i'd be afraid to drive it. What are these worth now? I see comparables for around $500k USD, but wonder if it being 1/10 Canadian spec further increases the price. Also tough to justify with the latest edition being released for less coin, mind you they are all PDK.
    Sadly, the mileage is on the high side for most 997 2RS'.

The US market steeply discounts Canadian (and other 'grey market') cars and the Canadian market typically can't bare the going rate adjusted for forex, so Canadian cars end up being priced significantly below comparable US cars in the US (usually around 20%). Previous US cars in Canada tend to fare better, as they can easily be repatriated and usually only suffer a slight pain-in-the-ass discount for the buyer having to re-import the car and pay 2.5% duties.

On top of that, this car is missing the two big options most GT2RS buyers & collectors really want - the bucket seats and the carbon fibre fenders.

FWIW, the new 991 GT2RS may sticker for less, but they're near-impossible to get and cars in the US are trading for $125-200k over sticker, which puts the market price of the 991 above most 997 GT2RS'.
    Last edited by you&me; 06-28-2018 at 11:41 AM.

^

So I know from the past you're definitely quite educated in the higher end car market. I mainly just drool over cars like the GT2RS. But mind educating me a bit on the high mileage portion?
    Cause I'm sitting here thinking 6200kms on an 8 year old car (yes this thing is a monster) seems like a fairly reasonable/low average? Or is it just that most owners pretty much garage princess the car to hold value or

Also how hard would it be/$$ to swap to bucket seats/carbon fibre? or would that ruin value if not matching original window sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Sadly, the mileage is on the high side for most 997 2RS'.

The US market steeply discounts Canadian (and other 'grey market') cars and the Canadian market typically can't bare the going rate adjusted for forex, so Canadian cars end up being priced significantly below comparable US cars in the US (usually around 20%). Previous US cars in Canada tend to fare better, as they can easily be repatriated and usually only suffer a slight pain-in-the-ass discount for the buyer having to re-import the car and pay 2.5% duties.

On top of that, this car is missing the two big options most GT2RS buyers & collectors really want - the bucket seats and the carbon fibre fenders.

FWIW, the new 991 GT2RS may sticker for less, but they're near-impossible to get and cars in the US are trading for $125-200k over sticker, which puts the market price of the 991 above most 997 GT2RS'.
    Thanks for the info! Before i posted i did a quick duPont search and came across two 2018's for $338k and $347k, so in comparison better bang for the buck. Also, no 997 GT2RS had under 5k miles, so this one is under the openly advertised by quite a few.

My Ride
    NC1

God damn. Rich people things.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Can anyone explain the Range 1 over-rev report? So, it has or hasn't been banged off the limiter 50 times? Why not bang it off the limiter, would sound pretty gnar I bet.

My Ride
    Silverado

has been banged off the limiter

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    ^

So I know from the past you're definitely quite educated in the higher end car market. I mainly just drool over cars like the GT2RS. But mind educating me a bit on the high mileage portion?
    Cause I'm sitting here thinking 6200kms on an 8 year old car (yes this thing is a monster) seems like a fairly reasonable/low average? Or is it just that most owners pretty much garage princess the car to hold value or

Also how hard would it be/$$ to swap to bucket seats/carbon fibre? or would that ruin value if not matching original window sticker?
    Like I said, it's sad but the reality is these cars just typically don't get driven. You're mostly right and there are a number of factors - the GT2(/RS) has a reputation as a "widow maker", so it's a bit intimidating; it wasn't always the case, but as a numbered car, the GT2RS is firmly in the collectible category, and most owners prioritize value preservation (i.e. not driving it); most owners (aka rich people) are very busy and probably have several cars, so it's just a matter of averages that the cars don't accumulate a lot of miles.

Regarding buckets and fenders - the bucket seats are available and a common 'mod' for 911 owners . Some swap them out for the more user-friendly 18-way seats (as this car is equipped with) while others swap them for even more hard-core race seats. Either way, there's usually a supply of bucket seats available, but they're usually worth anywhere from $10-20k US.

The fenders are a less common mod, if for no other reason than it's a more significant undertaking with less tangible benefit. Supposedly there's a 997 GT2 in Vancouver that has carbon fenders, but those were fitted after an accident, so not a "mod" in the typical sense.

More importantly - as you mentioned - originality trumps all else... the value of a stock car without buckets and fenders would likely trump a car modded to have those pieces, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Thanks for the info! Before i posted i did a quick duPont search and came across two 2018's for $338k and $347k, so in comparison better bang for the buck. Also, no 997 GT2RS had under 5k miles, so this one is under the openly advertised by quite a few.
    Those 991 GT2RS' prices are the MSRP... Very few have the opportunity to buy at those prices (think 918 VIPs) and no one is willing to sell at that level, so it's a bit misleading. The going rate for the 991 GT2RS in the US is $125-200k over msrp, so ~$450-550 all-in. I'm not sure if this is the case here, but a lot of the ads are generated through the dealer's inventory management system which probably defaults to posting the MSRP.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post

Cause I'm sitting here thinking 6200kms on an 8 year old car (yes this thing is a monster) seems like a fairly reasonable/low average?
    I just had a new customer buy a barrel of race fuel for his 2017 McLaren 720S. He put 70k kms on it since he got it at the beginning of LAST YEAR

Beautiful car. That guy gets a hi-five for being a badass in my books. Not quite GT2 RS territory, but at a starting price of $280k, not chump change either.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

We embraced the importance of Rev Range activity many years ago and our contribution towards a universal clarity has been significant. In theory the principles behind Rev Range activity are simple, it’s the variation in data interpretation that causes issues.
    Engines are designed to operate up to a maximum rotational speed. The manufacturer uses a rev limiter to prevent engine speeds exceeding a pre-determined point of safety. At full throttle and whilst pushing and holding the accelerator pedal down indefinitely the engine can’t and won’t exceed the rotational speed of the limiter. However, when a driver selects too low a gear relative to the speed of travel, the momentum of the car can mechanically drive the engine past a point of safety.
    Rev Range data is stored in the cars ECU (engine control unit). The ECU is able to record and store engine ignitions at or past the cars limiter. On a 6 cylinder engine there are 3 ignition pulses per engine revolution. Ignitions are recorded as a cumulative total throughout a cars life.
    986 and 996 models have 2 Rev Ranges. Rev Range 1 records ignitions at the rev limiter whilst Rev Range 2 records ignitions beyond the limiter
    987, 997, 981 and 991 models have the ability to record ignitions in 6 different ranges. Rev Range 1 and 2 record ignitions at or just below the limiter. Ranges 3 through 6 represent increasingly higher engine speeds
    Shown below are the engine speed ranges for selected models within the Porsche line-up in revolutions per minute

Range 1
    Range 2
    996 Boxster
    > 7200 and < 7800
    > 7800
    996 Carrera
    > 7300 and < 7900
    > 7900
    996 Turbo and 996 GT2
    > 6750 and < 7250
    > 7250
    996 GT3
    > 8200 and < 8800
    > 8800
    Cayenne 3.2 (V6)
    > 6700 and < 6900
    > 6900
    Cayenne S 4.5 (V8)
    > 6900 and < 7200
    > 7200
    Cayenne Turbo
    > 6670 and < 7000
    > 7000

Range 1
    ">Range 2
    Range 3
    Range 4
    Range 5
    Range 6
    987 Boxster
    > 7200 and < 7500
    > 7500 and < 7700
    > 7700 and < 7900
    > 7900 and < 8400
    > 9400 and < 9500
    > 9500
    997 Carrera
    > 7300 and < 7500
    ">> 7500 and < 7700
    > 7700 and < 7900
    > 7900 and < 8400
    > 8400 and < 9500
    > 9500
    997 GT3
    > 9000 and < 9200
    > 9200 and < 9400
    > 9400 and < 9600
    > 9600 and < 10000
    > 10000 and < 11000
    > 11000
    997 Turbo
    > 6800 and < 7000
    > 7000 and < 7200
    > 7200 and < 7400
    > 7400 and < 7900
    > 7900 and < 9000
    > 9000
    Until a few years ago ignitions recorded in ranges 3 and 4 were considered by the Manufacturer to be safe with such vehicles still eligible for Porsche Extended warranty. Ignitions recorded in Ranges 5 and 6 would not be considered for warranty with existing policies invalidated at the point of over rev. Current Porsche warranty procedure ( as of 2017) considers activity in ranges 3 and 4 to be potentially problematic with compression tests and / or oil checks deemed necessary irrespective of whether or not incursions occurred several hundred operating hours prior to the check. However, in a pragmatic relaxation of previous protocol vehicles with activity in ranges 5 and 6 will be considered for extended warranty provided the over rev activity occurred more than 200 operating hours ago. The warranty provision is at the discretion of the importer and subject to the aforementioned compression/oil checks.
    *** Porsche dealers are advised by the manufacturer to disregard over rev data on all PDK transmission cars when assessing a car for warranty provision. Consequently a PDK vehicle with activity recorded as high as Range 6, assuming all other mechanical checks are passed, will be applicable for warranty*** - Accurate as of 2017.
    An operating hour log captures the exact moment when the most recent activity within a given rev range is recorded. The timing of the most recently recorded over rev is as significant as the over-rev itself.
    When the engine rev limiter is exceeded the engine can fail or be damaged leaving it susceptible to future failure. Instant failure would normally be caused by valves hitting a piston. Subsequent or delayed failure is often caused by a compromised timing chain which can be weakened or stretched at high engine speeds. If a timing chain were to be excessively stretched failure is possible due to the abrasive effect of a slack chain against the sprocket teeth on which it runs.
    Industry experts would suggest a 50 operating hour window of danger after the point of an over rev where chains or associated inter-gear can fail or develop problems leading to costly engine work / engine rebuilds.
    At 911Virgin our purchase policy prevents us from considering a car with engine over rev activity beyond the rev limiter within the last 50 operating hours.
    We are regularly approached to help interpret Rev Range Data. The ability to separate genuine incident from an erroneous recording is critical. In general terms we would consider the registering of less than 10 ignitions within a given range to be no cause for concern. 10 ignitions represents fractions of a second, insufficient time, in our experience to cause damage. Porsche take a different view and consider the registering of a single ignition (one third of an engine revolution) to be relevant. A single ignition recorded in rev range 3 or higher within a 200 operating hour period means that an engine compression test is deemed necessary.
    The registering and recording of a single ignition at such high engine speed, in our view, is just not possible in the same way that a single ignition in, for example, Rev Range 4 can't follow a single ignition in the previous rev range. In order to pass in to a higher bracket of engine speed the engine must complete at least a full engine revolution, a minimum of 3 ignitions.
    We are regularly asked if Tiptronic and PDK equipped Porsches can record legitimate engine ignitions past the limiter; Due to the manner in which the gearbox automatically changes up a gear when the engine speed reaches a certain point it is unlikely but not impossible.We recall a 996 Tiptronic Turbo that we travelled to purchase. On the surface a beautiful car but with 313 ignitions recorded in Rev Range 2, the most recent of which recorded within the last 3 operating hours, not a car we were prepared to buy. A wasted journey, but with the benefit of hindsight a narrow escape. Two weeks later we were contacted by the owner of the car who, after our viewing, had managed to find a private buyer for his vehicle. The buyers pre-purchase inspection picked up on an engine rattle, he pulled out of the sale narrowly avoiding a large bill because a week later the inter-gear failed and the engine needed to be rebuilt. We eventually got to the bottom of how ignitions were recorded past the red line. Whilst on a final blast before attempting to sell to ourselves, a moment of indiscretion racing a group of motorbikes saw the limiter exceeded whilst at full throttle down a long steep hill. The incline caused the car to travel faster than it otherwise would have done, the cars momentum taking the engine past its limiter damaging it in the process.

taken from http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

I've been seeing this one lately

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by GQBalla View Post

I've been seeing this one lately
    I'm not sure what that is... 996TT with a body kit?

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    they did have a 996 gt2rs: from the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT2

In 1999, the 993-generation 911 was replaced with the new 996 model. It would be two years before a new GT2 model would arrive; during that time, Porsche decided to abandon the GT2 for motorsports use, instead concentrating on the new naturally aspirated 911 GT3.

Developed primarily as a road car in contrast to its predecessor, the new GT2 featured a twin-turbocharged version of the GT3's 3.6 L (220 cu in) H6 engine. It featured an output of 462 PS (340 kW; 456 hp), which was later increased to 483 PS (355 kW; 476 hp). Like the 993 GT2, its body differed significantly from those of other 996 variants; major differences included wider fenders, a more aggressively shaped nose, and a large rear wing.

According to road testing performed by Car and Driver magazine, the GT2 suffers from hardly any turbo lag. Despite a 10-millimeter reduction in ride height from the 911 Turbo, the drag coefficient is slightly higher — 0.34 Cd vs. the Turbo's 0.33 — due to the fixed rear wing.[3]

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    I actually have no idea, i just see that exact car at the building

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast