Quantcast
Magic: The Gathering - TCG game - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering - TCG game

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Magic: The Gathering - TCG game

Alright, my inner geek is going to show now, and I am prepared for the inevitable shade "too cool" people are going to throw at me.

I found this game pretty much by accident about a year ago. My kids and I started playing the Pokemon TCG and while I enjoyed playing it with them, I found myself really liking the TCG format but wishing it has more of an adult theme and needed some more critical thinking and strategy. I started doing some searching and came across Magic: The Gathering.

I gotta say, I had no idea how big this was, and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. There is something like 40 million people worldwide that play. You can play with either the paper cards, or online in a couple different options. They even have a pro tour where people are winning hundres of thousands of dollars! :EEK:

So, I started playing last June, and I gotta say, I am hooked! I have met some pretty cool people, and have learned a lot. Kinda nice to find an activity that doesn't always revolve around people drinking to excess. And the competitive side of me gets to shine lol

I am pretty horrible at building a deck from scratch, but it is pretty easy to find a deck you want to play on the various resources like websites and youtube and tweaking it a bit to make it your own. I figure I will get better over time with brewing a deck, but I have found I like to play in the modern format, and participating in sealed events like pre-releases.

Just wondering what other people on here might have had for experiences, maybe highlights? Do you still play? favorite decks or cards?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rally pig

Magic TCG was our favorite past time in junior high before arcade/counter-strike rolled in.
    Tried getting into it again early college but didn't enjoy it as much, probably because I'm not a big fan of complicated mechanics. The earlier edition were so simple to play, quick with nice artwork.
    I don't know where my decks are now.. I know my dad threw away my white weenie deck (white knight, empryrial armor, crusade, etc) or my goblin deck.

Still have a binder with some of my favorite cards, especially the artworks.
    Have a lightning dragon, and revised edition of armageddon, sword of plowshare and city of brass, bird of paradise in my collection.
    Only one I still would like to own is a Juzam Djin and Jester Cap, can't recall if I have the later one already or not.

most memorable deck that I've built?
    probably the unlimited 999/999 squirrel deck

favorite deck ever? to me it was the 1998 MTG champion by Brian Selden
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/707655#paper

Been playing off and on since Urza's Saga and got back into it more heavily again a few years ago.

Usually try to play pre-releases and modern events. I like standard as well, but I find that with work I can’t get out consistently enough to play Standard without the frequent set rotations being annoying.

Without a doubt my favorite deck I’ve built was an Esper Solar Flare deck that I played during Innistrad Standard. Not the most competitive deck but really fun to play; good control elements and focused on abusing the graveyard and the recursion abilities of Sun Titan (recurring phantasmal images, Lilianna’s, etc.). Suspect it could be fun in Modern, but likely not too competitive as the graveyard hate and exiling removal in modern are so strong.

My go-to decks for Modern now are:
    - Black White Tokens (control focused build)
    - Mill
    - Eldrazi Tron
    - Infect

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Mill
    - Eldrazi Tron
    - Infect
    My current go to is Bogles. It's funny how many people get salty when The see me drop one on T1. LOL

I just started with the idea of getting into Modern in January, and a few friends suggested i go bogles since I was already playing W/U aruas in standard. Then Bogles won the GP in Toronto and all the pieces started to get pretty pricey and hard to find. Finally finished it about 2 months ago, and have played 5-6 modern nights with it and have been doing pretty well.

I am also building 8-rack and 8-whack, and have a mill deck too, but it is more for fun. I am thinking I want to try affinity next.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Actually used to hang with a guy who was one of the top international magic:the gathering referees. He had an all expenses paid trip to Japan to ref some big tournament.

I don't get it, but it's not like I'm too cool for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I played when I was a kid (12-17yrs old 96-2001) ) then started again when BFZ came out. Go to prereleases all the time. Little sad that revolution games has closed down as that was my go to place. I play commander every week with friends. Though lately it’s slowed down as the cost for some friends has become too much.
    I’ve got binders with every single card since BFZ up to dominaria (crack boxes when the new sets come out)and then all my commander decks (12)

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    I played when I was a kid (12-17yrs old 96-2001) ) then started again when BFZ came out. Go to prereleases all the time. Little sad that revolution games has closed down as that was my go to place. I play commander every week with friends. Though lately it’s slowed down as the cost for some friends has become too much.
    I’ve got binders with every single card since BFZ up to dominaria (crack boxes when the new sets come out)and then all my commander decks (12)
    yeah, the collector in me took over too. I have playsets of almost everything from when I started (Amonkhet) to now. I am now trying to collect a bunch of modern staples.

I haven't really gotten into commander yet, but, I do have 8 or 9 commander decks.

Yeah, I used to buy my booster boxes at Rev, had a good rewards program for it. Myth games also closed down on the same day. A buddy of mine opened Oger's Den earlier this year, and I built all the tables there and helped get it ready to open. Huge open spaces to game at, and the have a pretty active commander group that goes there a few times a week. If you haven't yet, you should check it out.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    rally pig

brings back so much memory, well looks like i dont have a jesters cap so might look into getting one one day

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

that's pretty sweet!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Ogres den is that Adrian? He finally opened his store? When I first started up again I found him on eBay then started talking to him and went to play some drafts then after a year played commander in his basement
    Last edited by eglove; 07-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.

I've done a couple pro tours. Used to travel all over while playing. Started around ice age... played heavy for a long time but haven't for a long time now.

Somehow came across alpha investment you tube videos that has peaked my interest again but haven't dived into things yet. That guys hilarious.

My Ride
    14' 435i

I was big into Magic growing up, had 1000's of cards, multiple decks, played everyday with friends. I gotta see if i can find my cards, in a box somewhere im sure.

there is actually a PC video game for it too!

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

I'm surprised no one has come in here and shit on this yet.

I've been playing on and off for maybe 8-9 years. Not competitively or anything, but just for fun. I've started to pick it up again because of the Dominaria set that released this Spring. Commander is also getting pretty big now, which is a format I really like.

I'm a closet nerd and there is a stigma attached to playing this game, so I usually play with a small playgroup, sometimes we'll hit up a midnight pre-release tournament.

Current brews that I have:

Bant Superfriends (Standard)
    Boros Auras and Equipment (Standard)
    G/B Budget Saprolings (Standard)
    W/U Teferi Approach (Standard)
    White Aggro (Standard)
    B/U Faeries (Modern)
    Mono-Green Beasts (Modern)
    Mono-Green Elf Aggro (Modern)

And I also have 2 Commander Decks

W/G with Rhys the Redeemed
    W/U with Grand Arbiter Augustine IV

I have too many favorite cards but if I had to choose one, its Llanowar Elves.
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 07-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    Ogres den is that Adrian? He finally opened his store? When I first started up again I found him on eBay then started talking to him and went to play some drafts then after a year played commander in his basement
    yeah, I met him last year and started doing drafts in his basement. Few months later he opened up the storefront with Paul. He still has the eBay stuff going too.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post
    Been playing off and on since Urza's Saga and got back into it more heavily again a few years ago.

Usually try to play pre-releases and modern events. I like standard as well, but I find that with work I can’t get out consistently enough to play Standard without the frequent set rotations being annoying.

Without a doubt my favorite deck I’ve built was an Esper Solar Flare deck that I played during Innistrad Standard. Not the most competitive deck but really fun to play; good control elements and focused on abusing the graveyard and the recursion abilities of Sun Titan (recurring phantasmal images, Lilianna’s, etc.). Suspect it could be fun in Modern, but likely not too competitive as the graveyard hate and exiling removal in modern are so strong.

- Mill
    - Eldrazi Tron
    - Infect
    Mill decks are brutal. Played Approach against this a few times and 2/3 times, my win conditions were milled out and forced me to yield the match lol.
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 07-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Anyone seen the 2018 SDCC planeswalker cards? They are stunning!

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Anyone seen the 2018 SDCC planeswalker cards? They are stunning!
    Running both Nissa and Gideon at the moment. I would love to have these, the art is great.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    Running both Nissa and Gideon at the moment. I would love to have these, the art is great.
    yeah, I want them. I just have no idea how to get them. I really want the chandra and lili. wanna split em if we can get em?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    RSTi

Sweet, an MTG thread!

I've been playing off and on since revised. I have a metric shit ton of cards that I've finally gotten somewhat organized...so many piles of jank garbage that'll never see the light of day haha. My group that I consistently play with is pretty much all Commander but we do the prereleases which is a great way to get packs of the new sets.

I have a dozen or so decks that are constantly being rotated out when I have time to rebuild, I enjoy that part almost as much as the actual playing. We came up with a commander variant called RDH (randamonium elder highlander) where you click the random button on the edhrec.com website and then build a deck around whoever you get ($50 budget). It's a blast as you'll play cards you've never even heard of before because they're cheaper than the staples but not quite as powerful. After each round you get a budget depending on how you finish that you can upgrade your deck with.

Always down for a game or two if anyone wants to play sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    yeah, I want them. I just have no idea how to get them. I really want the chandra and lili. wanna split em if we can get em?
    You have three options:

- Go to SDCC and buy them there
    -Wait until they go up for sale on the Hasbro site (usually a month or two after the SDCC) and be lucky enough to buy one before they sell out
    -Pay an obscene amount on the secondary market

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post

W/U with Grand Arbiter Augustine IV
    You are a terrible person and you should feel bad haha.
    Last edited by Perfect Dark; 07-10-2018 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride
    14' 435i

I havent played in so long, i think i forget how! HAHA

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast