Quantcast
MT Head2Head: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage vs. 2018 Audi R8 RWS - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MT Head2Head: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage vs. 2018 Audi R8 RWS

My Ride
    ute

Default MT Head2Head: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage vs. 2018 Audi R8 RWS

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...8-audi-r8-rws/

Anyone else watch this on their MT sub? I really like the series in general, but it has gotten a lot better with Jethro Bovington instead of Jason Camissa. I liked Jason, but he was more traditional youtuber antics. Jethrom comes from the tradition of british video car reviews, which is far superior in my opinion (carfection, autocar, even Carwow).

Interesting that the Vantage takes this. I like them, and I'm going to check it out, but I could never get with that strange unfinished looking front clip on the Aston.

Besides, ever since my 570s test drive, I'm obsessed with them. I've never sat in a car that instantly made me irrational about walking out with a new car right then right there. I've driven lots of fast cars in this segment (R8, 911 Turbo, GT, Astons etc), and the 570S is far and away the best.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Wait until the vantage AMR comes out, should clean it up.

I would love a last gene V12 Vantage S.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

I need to get a lift into the garage, haha. I'm pretty sure a manual V12 Aston will be a good investment. You should grab one.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Fuck, I do not need a 5th car... I’m already “that guy” on the block.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Name:  img_4009.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  123.4 KB

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Sweet ..

On paper, the Audi RWS is better car for $50K less .. but Aston looks sexier ...
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Fuck, I do not need a 5th car... I’m already “that guy” on the block.
    I was that guy too. Feels good.

Then I sold one. #sadface
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I am not a MT subscriber but I am curious as how the vantage was favoured? Of course I’m a bit biased but the RWS is faster arose nd the track, has the legendary 5.2l v10, is mid engine and is much cheaper.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I am not a MT subscriber but I am curious as how the vantage was favoured? Of course I’m a bit biased but the RWS is faster arose nd the track, has the legendary 5.2l v10, is mid engine and is much cheaper.
    - They loved both cars, so it was really not about a loser. But they felt that they wanted the R8 Plus in 2wd.
    - Aston had more connected stearing
    - Aston more aggression/more sense of occassion
    - on the road the Audi still felt more AWD than RWD, and the Aston felt more RWD.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Oh right on, thanks. Nothing that a hex tune from VF won’t fix - brings the power up to 600hp. In the mail now haha.

A couple of reviewers have stated that the R8 still feels awd, I still don’t agree with that statement. I feel like I’ve got to be on my toes more in the RWS than my supercharged M3 as it’s more squirrelly. Might be the PSS vs continental tires too..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t know how manufacturers can put anything but Michelin’s on cars these days.

The lack of hook and overall lack of confidence I have with the tires on my C63 with the stock Dunlop’s is borderline embarrassing.

I really do like Vantage’s though.

fact.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

As someone who has driven almost every Aston besides the One77 I can see where the R8 has its advantages but the true GT feel of the Aston makes it a great driving car. I had the V12 Vanquish this past weekend and it is by far my favorite to drive.

The R8 is a great every day car though. Great gear box and suspension setup.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Oh right on, thanks. Nothing that a hex tune from VF won’t fix - brings the power up to 600hp. In the mail now haha.

A couple of reviewers have stated that the R8 still feels awd, I still don’t agree with that statement. I feel like I’ve got to be on my toes more in the RWS than my supercharged M3 as it’s more squirrelly. Might be the PSS vs continental tires too..
    The review was weird on this subject. They said that it felt AWD on the street, but on their track section it felt a lot more loose. Dunno.

I watched it as well, been a sub for years, miss Camissa too. I thought they did a decent/fair review. We were looking at an R8, but I didn't want to spend the $ on a new one, or settle for a used one. Maybe next year, we'll see how the market does. Maybe trade/sell the LC500 we bought this spring then, still a big fan of the Audi R8, plus I went to high school for a year at CFB Moose Jaw with a guy who is high up with Audi (VP for North America, Micha Diepenbrock), and will at least have somebody to whine to if there are any warranty/etc issues with an R8.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How are you liking the LC500?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Best car we've owned, not as fast as the GTR was, but I'm 45 now not 35, and appreciate the luxury and ride in comparison. That said, opening it up, the exhaust note on this V8 is like something created in a studio and played inside the Sydney Opera House. Putting a lot of KMs on it, but we're going to buy again next year for a summer 2 door true sports car anyway, so nbd. Bought a ZR2 truck as well, had one in 1996, what a difference 22 years makes, really impressed with that too (it's got the diesel motor) for smaller truck than the 3 Duramax we've owned.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 07-22-2018 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Best car we've owned, not as fast as the GTR was, but I'm 45 now not 35, and appreciate the luxury and ride in comparison. That said, opening it up, the exhaust note on this V8 is like something created in a studio and played inside the Sydney Opera House. Putting a lot of KMs on it, but we're going to buy again next year for a summer 2 door true sports car anyway, so nbd. Bought a ZR2 truck as well, had one in 1996, what a difference 22 years makes, really impressed with that too (it's got the diesel motor) for smaller truck than the 3 Duramax we've owned.
    Sorry to thread high jack but I’m interested to hear what you do and don’t like about the diesel ZR-2, I’m quite interested in picking one up later this year or next year.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I watched it as well, been a sub for years, miss Camissa too. I thought they did a decent/fair review. We were looking at an R8, but I didn't want to spend the $ on a new one, or settle for a used one. Maybe next year, we'll see how the market does. Maybe trade/sell the LC500 we bought this spring then, still a big fan of the Audi R8, plus I went to high school for a year at CFB Moose Jaw with a guy who is high up with Audi (VP for North America, Micha Diepenbrock), and will at least have somebody to whine to if there are any warranty/etc issues with an R8.
    The LC500 looks great. They really hit their design target with that car. It's more of a GT can than the R8, I think. If you are going for a mid-engine "supercar", then I think you really ought to look at the 570s. It's amazing. I've never been so impressed with a car on a test drive as I was with that car. It's the best care under $350,000, IMO, and it eliminated the R8 from contention for me. I'm going to try to move into one from the GTS in the next year, or two. If you want something at least a but closer to the GT nature of hte LC500, you can also look at the 570GT.

Thanks Buster, I'll do that. I follow a guy on YT (Street Speed 717), learned a lot about the 570 and other Macs from that channel. Pretty unreal that the R8 and 570 are so close in price now. I haven't driven the 2018 R8 yet, only a few of the previous gen V10s, really like everything about them, but I know that there are major, major changes with the new gen. I (we) will be driving a number of options in spring 2019, we'll check out the 570 for certain. We'll be living between lower mainland and Calgary then, and with our Sask homes/property/farm we inherited all sold by then (hopefully), that'll remove the one thing about Audi that had me concerned and giving it an advantage over other options, that being a dealer/mechanic/etc option that was close by for us. Be looking at the 911s as well.

Twin Cam, I'll PM you later, can send ph# too or Skype and show you vid/etc of the couple of little things I'd mention, but overall, the ZR2 is fantastic, the diesel motor is surprisingly good for its displacement. We drove a lot of trucks, newer Duramax, the 1500 sized from all big 3, Toyotas (very, very nearly went with a new Tundra), Nissan, Honda's truck, etc. If you really need a sunroof, you won't be happy, but other than that, all positives so far. The suspension is really great (DSSV), the tech has had some debate online, but I've been happy with the end result with the off roading (modest) we've done, and towing has been fine with our Big Tex tractor small trailer, easily hauls a mid/small sized utility tractor and 3 or 4 of it's implements on board, had 4 motorcycles and 2 seadoos on that thing instead, tows fine. The ride is fantastic especially on the highway, the missus has had some major back surgeries due to a car accident she was in 15 years ago, and this is a huge concern/issue for us. I hear a lot fewer complaints in this truck than its predecessor (2012 Duramax).

Go drive one, I think you'll be impressed, if you haven't yet. Drove the 3.6/8 speed option, had we not have had the ability to get diesel the way we do (cough, farm), I'd probably have gotten that, it impressed me as well, but the 2.8 diesel is great, no concerns with performance/passing whatsoever, and it's stock so far, no tune/programmer yet, if ever. That said the gas engine definetely had a noticeable advantage on the highway so far as acceleration bursts went, so if that's an issue for you I would go with the 3.6, which is close to 5 grand cheaper too IIRC.

Haven't driven it on snow/ice yet, so I can't comment on it or the factory tires, but I don't anticipate it to be an issue. This truck has pretty much all the advantages the past full sized Duramax trucks had, but is a decidedly smaller truck, which is nice in the city and for parking it in the garage (space). If you need to haul really heavy stuff, that'd be the only thing that would make me not consider this size of truck. Rear seat room in the quad cab at least is pretty much the same as the Duramax, maybe a tiny bit smaller, but no complaints.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 07-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.

My Ride
    ute

R8 and 570 aren't really in the same price category. I think you need to spec up pretty hard to get an R8 into the $230K range. For 2019, the 570 base price is $243. And you regularly see normal-ish builds get up to $300k.

The 540c is also an option. I'm certain at this point the engine tune is the same as the 570s despite the marketing, and at that point all you are giving up is some plastic trim bits, and the carbon brakes. Save about $20k