Quantcast
Anybody own a motorhome? Looking for experiences. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anybody own a motorhome? Looking for experiences.

My Ride
    Trucks

Default Anybody own a motorhome? Looking for experiences.

Im contiplating buying an older 26’ Class C motorhome with lower mileage. I’m hoping to use it for towing my side-by-side instead of choosing between camping or off-roading with the family. Anybody have some insight on owning one of these gas pigs? Do they need a 10 year inspection for insurance like a regular vehicle?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Would a toy-hauler style camping trailer make more sense than dealing with the upkeep of a motorhome?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would a toy-hauler style camping trailer make more sense than dealing with the upkeep of a motorhome?
    Not really. The ones large enough for a side-by-side are huge and twice the weight of a regular camper so my Dodge 1500 would be a no go.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The "camper" system in any older rv or trailer are reasonably easy to repair or maintain. The trick is that you also have the complexity of an older heavy duty vehicle as well.

Reliability of the base vehicle is always suspect, but not much worse than same year van/truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Im contiplating buying an older 26’ Class C motorhome with lower mileage. I’m hoping to use it for towing my side-by-side instead of choosing between camping or off-roading with the family. Anybody have some insight on owning one of these gas pigs? Do they need a 10 year inspection for insurance like a regular vehicle?
    Even if they do need an insurance inspection, its a 50$ job and some guy will come over and make sure the tires are on.

Youre usually better off renting an RV rathen than owning one - unless you plan on using it a LOT every year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Renting is shockingly expensive, but then again, so is owning. Unless you go older and can handle maintenance and repair yourself.

Name:  Screenshot_20180707-185758_Kijiji.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  32.6 KB
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Not really. The ones large enough for a side-by-side are huge and twice the weight of a regular camper so my Dodge 1500 would be a no go.
    I think you might be surprised, Jayco's Octane Super Light (for example) purports to fit a SxS and they are <10,000lb GVWR, ~6,000 dry weight, that's within the tow spec of most newer half-tons with factory tow package.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    I think you might be surprised, Jayco's Octane Super Light (for example) purports to fit a SxS and they are <10,000lb GVWR, ~6,000 dry weight, that's within the tow spec of most newer half-tons with factory tow package.
    I didn’t mention it, but I only have parking space for a bumper pull trailer up to 24 or 25 ft total length due to my rear alley access. The shorter toy haulers are made for quads and dirt bikes.

My Ride
    V8s

Could do a small 5th wheel with a SxS trailer behind that? Still likely too much for a half ton, but this would be my preference (as long as you're staying in Ab where this is legal)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He owns a Dodge, in general, the Dodge half tons are the worst for towing (and payload), so he's looking at a new truck either way, and would probably need the max tow max payload half-ton packages to contemplate anything that will be stout enough to double tow or hold his sxs.

Honestly, a 3/4 ton truck with different trailer is one option, but the c-class motorhome is also very valid. Plus the older ones can be dirt cheap, and as long as you are handy, self-repairable
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-08-2018 at 08:59 AM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Honestly, a 3/4 ton truck with different trailer is one option, but the c-class motorhome is also very valid. Plus the older ones can be dirt cheap, and as long as you are handy, self-repairable
    This is what I’m thinking. I do all my own mechanical work and have the tools. I was more curious on the actual living situation and towing with a small motorhome. Like how much is it a pain to make grocery runs and such with only one vehicle? Looks like having small kids and using car seats would be interesting too. Lots of legal grey area.

My Ride
    4x4

Go for the older Moho, get yourself a ama PlusRV (or premiere, for 200mi of free tow, but you need to be a member for a few years to qualify IRC)

It's the infrequent use and sitting / mice / leaking that kills motorhomes, or leaving them for winter unprepped.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can spend a lot ofoney on trucks and trailers, and still not be happy. Ten grand gets you a decent motorhome with enough left over for a few repairs.

If you find one with recent tires, and a hitch already on it, jump on it, and live the dream bro.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I didn’t mention it, but I only have parking space for a bumper pull trailer up to 24 or 25 ft total length due to my rear alley access. The shorter toy haulers are made for quads and dirt bikes.
    Ah yeah, parking constraints can make it tough. Good luck with the motorhome hunt!