Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

My Ride
    Canyonero

@rage2 . There's measurable latency difference telus / shaw, but I'd suggest it's almost negligible, at least for gaming purposes.

From my telus 150 fiber connection, directly from a pfsense host connected to the ONT, I get ~17ms, and through a commodity wifi router behind that, 18.3ms to 8.8.8.8.

From my wifi docsis gateway on Shaw Internet 150 I get ~26ms to 8.8.8.8.

As the 30-something guy getting absolutely smoked by teens in FPS games, I know it's not the 8ms of latency that's making the difference.

Don't take it from me though, your tax dollars funded a very comprehensive study on the subject with real data from Canadian homes: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/...9/rp160929.pdf

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. DOCSIS 3.1 is the big leap in performance, and isn't compatible with DOCSIS 2.x hardware.

At least that's my understanding.
    Salesman was pretty aggressively trying to get me on new hardware a few weeks ago. Probably why. Told him that I had no interest unless it was capable of being bridged.

Pretty sure I’m on 3.0 at least though with the Hitron.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    @rage2 . There's measurable latency difference telus / shaw, but I'd suggest it's almost negligible, at least for gaming purposes.

From my telus 150 fiber connection, directly from a pfsense host connected to the ONT, I get ~17ms, and through a commodity wifi router behind that, 18.3ms to 8.8.8.8.

From my wifi docsis gateway on Shaw Internet 150 I get ~26ms to 8.8.8.8.

As the 30-something guy getting absolutely smoked by teens in FPS games, I know it's not the 8ms of latency that's making the difference.

Don't take it from me though, your tax dollars funded a very comprehensive study on the subject with real data from Canadian homes: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/...9/rp160929.pdf
    I was comparing latency between your ethernet to the provider's termination point. Basically the best possible latency between cable vs fibre as a technology, cable is about 10ms worse in best conditions. Looks like the averages on our tax funded study supports that on page 30, there's your 10ms difference between the technologies.

I know DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 has a bunch of improvements to eliminate that gap, I'm just surprised it's already up and running.

My pings to my gateway sits at 8ms, pings to shaw's speedtest server is around 10ms. Will compare after tomorrow's upgrade.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that.

They also told me they used to use ~$15 modems and these new modems apparently are $200 units. They are super heavy, and the employees kept talking about how good the WiFi was (you can also bridge it yourself or call in to bridge it, but they can't do it when you pick it up from their locations).

I literally just called and asked to speak to retentions. I didn't threaten to leave or anything like that. I told them my previous 2yr contract was up so I was shopping around (didn't even mention Telus) and I was hoping to get BB300 for the the $55/mo for 6 mo promo deal. They said "sure no problem" and further offered me the $85/mo option which works out to about $200 better over 2 years.

My dad also walked into the downtown brick & mortar location and they gave him the same deal there too with no hassle.
    Thanks. Going to stop by the Shaw store at Chinook tonight and hopefully sign up for this deal. Are they charging you a monthly rental fee for the new modem?

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    Thanks. Going to stop by the Shaw store at Chinook tonight and hopefully sign up for this deal. Are they charging you a monthly rental fee for the new modem?
    No, I just have to return it the next time I upgrade my services or if I ever leave Shaw. Same deal as with my BB150 for the last 2 years - I have to bring my old modem back to them now that I got my new one. I think they were just trying to express how much better the new modem is compared to previous versions by telling me how much it cost. You should be able to grab the new modem while you're there at Chinook, retentions told me that was one of the 3 locations I could pick it up at.

My Ride
    Grimace

One thing is that the new modem, while more compact lengthwise than the previous, it has a small fan in it that can get quite annoying. Seems to run pretty hot. Mine is bridged (Did it myself using this guide https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-12120) and seems to work well.

All set up now.

331-332 Mbps down, 26Mbps up on any of my wireless devices or my PC.

Ping is 8

Newsgroups ripping along at 41.5 MB/s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    One thing is that the new modem, while more compact lengthwise than the previous, it has a small fan in it that can get quite annoying. Seems to run pretty hot. Mine is bridged (Did it myself using this guide https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-12120) and seems to work well.
    One note with this bridge instruction, you need to hook it up directly to your PC to see that option - if you go through your own router you won't.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Tech is showing up tomorrow for me. Will they be able to bridge it or will I need to dig up a wired adapter for my surface pro to connect to it?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mine claimed to be unable to do it... He also claimed it couldn't be bridged at all...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

With the way pricing is going I think I may just move to Teksavvy. $70 a month for the same 150 package as Shaw.

Tech is showing up tomorrow for me. Will they be able to bridge it or will I need to dig up a wired adapter for my surface pro to connect to it?
    You have to bridge it yourself from what both Shaw staff and the Tech told me. It takes 2 seconds if you can hook it up directly to a PC (you log into their modem and click "Enable" on bridge mode). You can do it over WiFi too, you just need to set up a WiFi network on the Shaw router first which seemed like more of a pain to me, so I did it hard-wired, then switched to my own router.

If the tech is physically coming to your house though, they can just do it for you.

I tried 2 reps, couldn't get the 6 month promo price. Wasn't worth my time to pursue further. I haven't been on a contract in forever, grandfathered on the BB250 plan for years. Only have contacts at Shaw on the tech side, none on the sales side to help me weasel a better deal.

It's too bad Telus took the maps down, it'd be nice to see where PureFibre is available today. Last map they had, it was something like 15% of the city. Barely any coverage. You can check your address on the Telus Purefibre page.

I wouldn't be surprised if Telus ups their Purefibre plan to 300/300 within a week, or maybe even launch their Gigabit service that they offer in BC. They've been holding back on the 250 and Gigabit plans in Calgary because they didn't feel their backhaul could handle it. It's just unfortunate that so few houses can get it here.
    Does pure fibre mean it’s full fibre? I remember back in the day TELUS pulled some extremely scummy shit if you didn’t ask the right questions. Sold people on ‘fibre’ when the only fibre in the system was from your house to the nearest node point which from what I understand meant you effectively were spending top dollar to connect a fire house to the end of a garden hose. Pure scumbag sales tactic but I guess buyer beware

My Ride
    FA20

Looks like Telus has joined the game

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/deals/co...pe=hero_banner

Quote Originally Posted by heinz256 View Post
    Looks like Telus has joined the game

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/deals/co...pe=hero_banner

Surprised it took them this long.

Too bad more people can't get access to that, if so that 300Mbps upload would be tempting.

Surprised it took them this long.

Too bad more people can't get access to that, if so that 300Mbps upload would be tempting.
    This....."wealthier" neighbourhood, but 75 is the max we can get, and no indication from Telus that Fibre is coming anytime soon....also the only community that can't get Uber Eats.....time to move

But at least my upload is still better than Shaw 300
    Last edited by NoSup4U; 07-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Internet 15 is the best I can get with Telus haha

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I do wonder if Shaw is prepared for this - like Rage2 said, when 250 came out they shut that shit down pretty quickly as they were NOT prepared for the popularity it had, .... 50/50 that 300 will be "grandfathered" again in 6 months, hah.
    Shaw still had analog TV back then... that's why it killed them! haha They should be fine now. I was talking to the tech the other week when I had BlueSky TV installed and he said they have at least 32 channels available compared to 4 or 8 back then.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Salesman was pretty aggressively trying to get me on new hardware a few weeks ago. Probably why. Told him that I had no interest unless it was capable of being bridged.

Pretty sure I’m on 3.0 at least though with the Hitron.
    Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    When they get everyone on the new hardware they won't have to run a hybrid system like they do now and they can go full IP TV and free up all the bandwidth.

My tech didn't know either (maybe they all didn't get the memo). I asked to stay with the Hitron (it's 3.0) to keep my 2 IPV4 address. XB6 can't do that but it's 3.1 and Shaw started using IPV6 with it (I think I read you get 56 address with that).

All set up now.

331-332 Mbps down, 26Mbps up on any of my wireless devices or my PC.

Ping is 8

Newsgroups ripping along at 41.5 MB/s
    Sweet!! I'm going to jump to that if I can get it for $85 like you did. It will be worth it even if I lose the 1 of the 2 IPV4 address.

Nice to see TELUS took the bait!!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Sweet!! I'm going to jump to that if I can get it for $85 like you did. It will be worth it even if I lose the 1 of the 2 IPV4 address.
    Now I feel real dumb negotiating bb150 for $85

I tried to keep the hitron as well, but this is fine now that it is bridged. My pc is hardwired like mitsu inferred. Tried on laptop and can't access that address.
    Based on my bill and the inflated rental amounts, new equipment is seemingly pricey, $10 modem, $15 4k box, $5 per portal.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Does pure fibre mean it’s full fibre? I remember back in the day TELUS pulled some extremely scummy shit if you didn’t ask the right questions. Sold people on ‘fibre’ when the only fibre in the system was from your house to the nearest node point which from what I understand meant you effectively were spending top dollar to connect a fire house to the end of a garden hose. Pure scumbag sales tactic but I guess buyer beware
    They rebranded a few times, but I have fiber and it's fiber fiber, right into the home. I have it at my place in Evergreen, and at my parents in Silverado. Get about 170up/down.

Most people won't care about the upload, but it does make a huge difference if you run anything remotely. I run a Plex server and have friends and family using it all over the place, and not a hickup at any time of the day.

Yeah Telus fibre is sick if you can get it. Though I don't think I need 300/300.

Name:  7463988376.png
Views: 334
Size:  19.9 KB

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast