Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

Default Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

Highspeed 300/20

Wonder if Telus will offer 300 on fiber now too!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Awesome. Can they do this over their existing infrastructure? If they will give me that promo as an existing U150 customer I will sign up. U150 is pretty much the same price now that those promos are over.

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Highspeed 300/20

Wonder if Telus will offer 300 on fiber now too!
    The guy at Telus told me they can't go over 100 Mbps because it's the law or anti-competitive or something like that - figured it was BS.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Holy shit, this is amazing haha. My 2 year contract is nearly up so I'm gonna see what I can squeeze out of retentions.

My Ride
    WK2

We renewed on Sunday with Shaw 150 and Blue-Sky small, and just chatting with Shaw over lunch, the agent said to renew today to the 300, would be an extra $15/month.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Awesome. Can they do this over their existing infrastructure?
    Mostly, yes. The only areas where it's unavailable are nodes that are at capacity and pending capacity upgrades. Mostly in the NE.

It's $40 a month cheaper than my grandfathered 250/15 plan, so yea, looks like I'm switching to this.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Mostly, yes. The only areas where it's unavailable are nodes that are at capacity and pending capacity upgrades. Mostly in the NE.

It's $40 a month cheaper than my grandfathered 250/15 plan, so yea, looks like I'm switching to this.
    Perfect, I'll give them a call later on today

My Ride
    Grimace

Just signed up on 2 yr on BB150, I am guessing I can just pay a bit more for 300 then?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

What deals did retentions give you guys?

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    What deals did retentions give you guys?
    I never talked to retentions but got BB150 for $85/mth for 24 months, and I have poverty cable with a couple packs and they gave me 4k bluesky and 2 portals for free and changed out my modem for the new arris one.

Ditto Rage, I've been grandfathered (I believe you said you were as well) on the 250 plan since it came out. Good times, another 50mbit, and less money. We have Sasktel's 260mbit fiber at our SK place as well, it's pretty decent, same performance I've found with Steam downloads, Netflix 4k, and gaming overall.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

But why?

With streaming and everything nowadays, what files are people downloading that they could possibly need 300mbps download rates?

I mean, its great to see, but with most services you aren't paying for, your download is limited server side, not on your end. I suppose if you had multiple TV's streaming 4K content it could be an issue, but basically nobody does that as there simply isn't the content available yet.

Another thing that this shows is that internet providers are full of shit and their plans are artificially high in this country if this capacity was available all along.

EDIT-
    TO BE CLEAR, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with going for this plan. I just have a hard time fathoming even a power user needing it. It's 23 minutes to download zero compression blu ray files at that point (50gb) even though if you are torrenting, you'd probably get a compressed version anyways as there are ways to compress blu ray such that little to no quality is lost.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^Why not?

Faster downloads on games/movies/music/files. Faster upload though still low. Such a small cost increase for twice the speed. Worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    But why?

With streaming and everything nowadays, what files are people downloading that they could possibly need 300mbps download rates?

I mean, its great to see, but with most services you aren't paying for, your download is limited server side, not on your end. I suppose if you had multiple TV's streaming 4K content it could be an issue, but basically nobody does that as there simply isn't the content available yet.

Another thing that this shows is that internet providers are full of shit and their plans are artificially high in this country if this capacity was available all along.

EDIT-
    TO BE CLEAR, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with going for this plan. I just have a hard time fathoming even a power user needing it. It's 23 minutes to download zero compression blu ray files at that point (50gb) even though if you are torrenting, you'd probably get a compressed version anyways as there are ways to compress blu ray such that little to no quality is lost.

I work with a lot of guys that will utilize that 300mbps down easily with their home media setups and how they ingest content daily from newsgroups etc.

My Ride
    Bicycle

But why?

10 TVs streaming 4K Netflix?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I suppose if you had multiple TV's streaming 4K content it could be an issue, but basically nobody does that as there simply isn't the content available yet.
    I'm somebody that does that.

I've hit the full 250 on my 250 service many times now. Hell even downloading a single Xbox One game will hit that limit. And I've got 3 XB1X's at home haha. You're also wrong on the content. Of my 611 movies I've purchased, 214 are 4K, with 148 of them in 4K HDR on my iTunes account. I'm pretty much watching a different 4K movie every single night right now, while wife and kids are on the other 2 4K TVs on either iTunes or Netflix 4K.

btw- even 3 4K HDR streams on 3 TV's plus buffer ahead barely cracks 100mbit. Each stream goes at around 40mbps peak to buffer ahead, then settles back to around 25mbps, the bitrate that Apple uses. XB1 downloads are the only way to eat up 250mbps.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Just called the loyalty and got the following plan:

$167 per month
    - 24 months
    - Internet 300 + Large TV(12 theme packs)
    - 1 Gateway and 3 Portals

Didn't try too hard to push for a better deal as I was paying nearly $200 for a lot less channels and Internet 150.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I'm somebody that does that.

I've hit the full 250 on my 250 service many times now. Hell even downloading a single Xbox One game will hit that limit. And I've got 3 XB1X's at home haha. You're also wrong on the content. Of my 611 movies I've purchased, 214 are 4K, with 148 of them in 4K HDR on my iTunes account. I'm pretty much watching a different 4K movie every single night right now, while wife and kids are on the other 2 4K TVs on either iTunes or Netflix 4K.

btw- even 3 4K HDR streams on 3 TV's plus buffer ahead barely cracks 100mbit. Each stream goes at around 40mbps peak to buffer ahead, then settles back to around 25mbps, the bitrate that Apple uses. XB1 downloads are the only way to eat up 250mbps.
    Maybe I'm just behind the times. Of course, you do recognize you are an outlier relatively speaking Beyond Baller :p As you said, only way you are maxing it is on XB1 and you have 3 of them

But maybe it is justified. Just surprised really, I stream everything as well as torrent still. The amount of media you guys consume blows my mind!

But really, they are taking a page from Intel - double the speed every two years. Even though a coaxial cable could easily 10x the bandwidth now that they have gotten rid of the analog channels.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Maybe I'm just behind the times. Of course, you do recognize you are an outlier relatively speaking Beyond Baller :p As you said, only way you are maxing it is on XB1 and you have 3 of them

But maybe it is justified. Just surprised really, I stream everything as well as torrent still. The amount of media you guys consume blows my mind!
    3 kids, gotta have 3 to multiplay each other right? As for movies, I like rewatching shit. That's my problem. Even if I'm working, I need the background noise with a familiar movie, so I end up buying way too much content. I don't consume a lot of new content, just consume the same old content over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Even though a coaxial cable could easily 10x the bandwidth now that they have gotten rid of the analog channels.
    Analog channels freed some space up, but the real gain is the move to DOCSIS 3.1 which will allow cable to compete with fiber at 10gbps down/1gbps up.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I never talked to retentions but got BB150 for $85/mth for 24 months, and I have poverty cable with a couple packs and they gave me 4k bluesky and 2 portals for free and changed out my modem for the new arris one.
    That's wicked. So it's $85 for BB150/TV package?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast