Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shaw still had analog TV back then... that's why it killed them! haha They should be fine now. I was talking to the tech the other week when I had BlueSky TV installed and he said they have at least 32 channels available compared to 4 or 8 back then.

When they get everyone on the new hardware they won't have to run a hybrid system like they do now and they can go full IP TV and free up all the bandwidth.

My tech didn't know either (maybe they all didn't get the memo). I asked to stay with the Hitron (it's 3.0) to keep my 2 IPV4 address. XB6 can't do that but it's 3.1 and Shaw started using IPV6 with it (I think I read you get 56 address with that).

Sweet!! I'm going to jump to that if I can get it for $85 like you did. It will be worth it even if I lose the 1 of the 2 IPV4 address.

Nice to see TELUS took the bait!!

You won't lose the second IPv4 address, can confirm I have 2 off the XB6 (same ones as before).

It was a total pain in the ass getting it activated, they had some issue earlier today and then I didn't have the bridge mode option until 2 more resets but did eventually show up.
    Last edited by Agent_Oorange; 07-11-2018 at 11:59 PM.

For those that got the 300 plan, are u getting your speeds?

I'm a foot away from the modem and getting 180mbps on 5g. Wired in, I get around 215 consistent, with it creeping upwards. I'm wondering if this new modem is crap or if shaw half-assed the 300mbpd launch lol

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    From my telus 150 fiber connection, directly from a pfsense host connected to the ONT, I get ~17ms, and through a commodity wifi router behind that, 18.3ms to 8.8.8.8.
    I was confused why they kept insisting I needed the Actiontech router in between the ONT & my Router/Pfsense box. I told them to put it in bridge mode but they didn't and I ended up double NAT so I just tried directly into the ONT with no problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post

I'm a foot away from the modem and getting 180mbps on 5g. Wired in, I get around 215 consistent, with it creeping upwards. I'm wondering if this new modem is crap or if shaw half-assed the 300mbpd launch lol
    330 Mbps on my mobile devices and my wired PC. I am using my own router though and I can get the same speeds 2 floors away. Most people so far seem to be reporting the same as BB150 - much higher speeds than advertised. If anything it seems Shaw sandbagged the numbers again.

You could just have a really busy node/neighborhood. The Shaw techs are usually pretty good if you get one to come troubleshoot for you. You can try different WiFi channels too, there are lots of apps to tell you which ones are crowded (I'd be surprised if 5G was too crowded though).

My internet died last night sometime between 3:30AM and 6AM ("connected, no internet"), but I just reset the XB6 when I woke up and now it works fine...hopefully a one-off and it just needed a hard reset after I bridged it.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

New modems still suck. Its the comcast XB modem, still better off using your own router
    $95 for 300 and TV
    Hooray for staff pricing

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that.
    I literally just called and asked to speak to retentions. I didn't threaten to leave or anything like that. I told them my previous 2yr contract was up so I was shopping around (didn't even mention Telus) and I was hoping to get BB300 for the the $55/mo for 6 mo promo deal. They said "sure no problem" and further offered me the $85/mo option which works out to about $200 better over 2 years.

My dad also walked into the downtown brick & mortar location and they gave him the same deal there too with no hassle.
    Thanks for this. I just did the same thing, and I had _just_ signed for bb150 for 2 years a few weeks back, and they still gave me the same deal as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Thanks for this. I just did the same thing, and I had _just_ signed for bb150 for 2 years a few weeks back, and they still gave me the same deal as you.
    Glad it worked for you

Also for anyone else who signed up to BB150 again, you have 10 days to cancel no questions asked even with the 2 year agreement. I assume within this period you could very easily move to BB300.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Oorange View Post
    You won't lose the second IPv4 address, can confirm I have 2 off the XB6 (same ones as before).

It was a total pain in the ass getting it activated, they had some issue earlier today and then I didn't have the bridge mode option until 2 more resets but did eventually show up.
    Cool! Good to know. The tech and what I read online said that you couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Now I feel real dumb negotiating bb150 for $85

I tried to keep the hitron as well, but this is fine now that it is bridged. My pc is hardwired like mitsu inferred. Tried on laptop and can't access that address.
    Based on my bill and the inflated rental amounts, new equipment is seemingly pricey, $10 modem, $15 4k box, $5 per portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Haha, me too! After reading my new bills I still don't know what I'm paying because it's lower than what the agent said!

BB150/Small TV w 5 theme packs / Phone (he added voice mail for some reason with a large discount)

Hopefully it will be easy to get BB300 for $85.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

330 Mbps on my mobile devices and my wired PC. I am using my own router though and I can get the same speeds 2 floors away. Most people so far seem to be reporting the same as BB150 - much higher speeds than advertised. If anything it seems Shaw sandbagged the numbers again.

You could just have a really busy node/neighborhood. The Shaw techs are usually pretty good if you get one to come troubleshoot for you. You can try different WiFi channels too, there are lots of apps to tell you which ones are crowded (I'd be surprised if 5G was too crowded though).

My internet died last night sometime between 3:30AM and 6AM ("connected, no internet"), but I just reset the XB6 when I woke up and now it works fine...hopefully a one-off and it just needed a hard reset after I bridged it.
    Interesting, mine died around 11:30pm last night same story reset fixed it and so far no problems.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's my before numbers.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Interesting, mine died around 11:30pm last night same story reset fixed it and so far no problems.
    Lets hope they stay that way. So far I am chalking it up to the fact that it was a brand new setup and hadn't been power cycled since entering bridge mode. I've gone years without a single drop in my internet before, so this surprised me. I also have security cameras dependent on that WiFi so it's especially annoying if it drops.

My Ride
    A250

I spent half an hour during lunch trying to figure out where the bridge option was lol. I called in and they had no clue either. I'm glad you figured out the solution. I'll reset the XB6 later and see if the option appears for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AzNxHyDrA View Post
    I spent half an hour during lunch trying to figure out where the bridge option was lol. I called in and they had no clue either. I'm glad you figured out the solution. I'll reset the XB6 later and see if the option appears for me.
    The bridge mode toggle ONLY shows up in the XB6 menu if:

1) You hook the modem up directly to your PC
    2) You set up the Shaw WiFi, and then log in via that

If you go through your own router, you will not see the bridge mode at all. You need to reset the modem again after connecting directly to your PC or it's own WiFi after disconnecting it from your router if you started there first.

Once it's bridged, the only way to log back into the modem is if you take your router out of the equation again before pinging it (that's also a confirmation that the bridge was successful).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-12-2018 at 01:34 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post

Do you have the new modem?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I know DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 has a bunch of improvements to eliminate that gap, I'm just surprised it's already up and running.

My pings to my gateway sits at 8ms, pings to shaw's speedtest server is around 10ms. Will compare after tomorrow's upgrade.
    The XB6 manual says it's DOCSIS 3.1. I also get a 6ms ping on Speedtest if I hit a Telus server.

My Ride
    A250

The bridge mode toggle ONLY shows up in the XB6 menu if:

1) You hook the modem up directly to your PC
    2) You set up the Shaw WiFi, and then log in via that

If you go through your own router, you will not see the bridge mode at all. You need to reset the modem again after connecting directly to your PC or it's own WiFi after disconnecting it from your router if you started there first.

Once it's bridged, the only way to log back into the modem is if you take your router out of the equation again before pinging it (that's also a confirmation that the bridge was successful).
    Yeah, I remember reading #1 a few pages ago and that's what I did. I tried 2 when 1 failed but it still wasn't showing up. The tech on the phone did say my modem wasn't activated properly so he told me he'll let me get off the line and sort stuff out on his end.

My Ride
    ute

Did you guys bridge the modem before plugging into the coax from shaw?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You'll likely need to activate the modem first, and then you can bridge it. Which means you need to connect the coax to the modem for the initial activation and then unplug it, take it to your computer and connect to the modem.

Quote Originally Posted by AzNxHyDrA View Post
    Yeah, I remember reading #1 a few pages ago and that's what I did. I tried 2 when 1 failed but it still wasn't showing up. The tech on the phone did say my modem wasn't activated properly so he told me he'll let me get off the line and sort stuff out on his end.
    Interesting - maybe an isolated issue. If you hook it up directly to your PC and then do a hard factory reset of the modem, the option should be there afterwards. If not I guess that is an issue for the techs!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I don't think you can - you need to be able to log into it. I plugged in my coax.

It takes 2 seconds, but unfortunately they can't give it to you pre-bridged at pickup like they used to.

My Ride
    ute

Do the people actually use the router and wifi on these things?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast