Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UPDATE:

Shaw “master technician” came out and had a thurough look through everything. Wasn’t hanging over his shoulder but he spent some time in the basement, and then went up the street for awhile to tinker around in the main junction box or whatever it was. Added a second splitter in the basement (which now looks like shit) but I guess it’s a stronger signal to the modem, and I was able to get 330/17 on a wired connection. (See screenshot below from my desktop, taken on a Sunday evening during “peak time.”)

Now, I think I need to move the router up from the basement. Standing beside it on a 5G connection with my iPhone 8, I’m getting ~180 for download. Move up to the third floor however, and it drops to ~18-25. Way too slow. I know the signal is stronger the closer you are; but that seems like too much of a drop for me. The house is wired for Cat5 and I use all 4 ports on the router, I’m thinking I can move it up to the office, plug two Ethernet cables in directly there, the other two into the wall going to the basement, then I just need some sort of “male to male” Ethernet adapter to connect the cables coming down from the modem into the cables going up to the one Apple TV and the XBOX. Think that would work? I’ve got a Coax jack into the office that I could hook the modem directly into.
    If wifi is your problem, there's a thread for that.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397...ed-wifi-review
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We have lots of fixes for wifi. Even a local Asus AImesh fanboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I'm curious if Shaw has started throttling some addresses. I've been having buffering the last couple days on my IPTV service (Eternal), and slow quality ramp ups on Netflix, and lots of trouble with Kodi and buffering (with Real Debrid integration). Thought maybe Eternal was finally going to shit, so I grabbed a month of Vaders/Beast just to test, and sure enough same problem. Speed test my Firestick and I get 140Mb/s, which is good for where it is relative to the router. Streams start out good and run for a few seconds then start buffering, same with downloads of the APK's from these services, they start super fast and then slow to a crawl. Thought it was all 3 of the services going to shit, factory reset my router, placed everything different, analyzed channels, etc etc. No fix and same problem. Went to the support groups, no other issues reported. Had no other way of testing against anything, have 5 sticks and all behave the same, then thought to try it on my cell phone and had not a single issue with buffering or speed. Firmly suspect Shaw of doing stuff now (GF said she was able to watch fine this afternoon, but also had troubles last evening).....Anyone else?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I don’t think this is much of a Shaw issue as an amazon issue. Oddly enough my fire stick was doing the same two days ago. I uninstalled plex, Netflix and Cyberflix then reinstalled them and the issues were gone. For kodi all I did was reset the caches. My Apple TVs did not have the issues that my Firestick did.

I have 4 Apple TVs and they all get around 770Mb/s and my Firestick gets about 180Mb/s regularly with a few spikes into the 300s. Try reinstalling Netflix and see if it’s better. If kodi is buffering check your space left on the stick. If your under 2gb remaining you need to start freeing up some space. What addons are you using in kodi?

My phone seems to have no issues
    Last edited by Kavy; 01-14-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

No issues for me as of yet. I get max speeds even in peak times of day on WiFi or wire. Loving the 82 MB/s DL speeds.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I've got Shaw Biz with 300/30. Works great but I guess the 600 packages aren't available for biz customers as of yet.

I'd kill for a secondary connection with Telus (fiber) for the biz, but they keep saying we don't have fiber in New Brighton.... I'd kill for full upload speeds!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    TDi

I share Vaders with a friend and she has telus. Never has issues with buffering. Will likely go back to telus when my contract with shaw ends.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride

So something is definitely up with the service. I had a pretty negative interaction with a shaw chat tech yesterday who accused everything but the service, my routers, my devices, having too many connected, etc. I went all the way right down to the studs, unbridged my modem and connected LAN to it and factory reset it, still great speedtest results, but whenever I try any of Kodi (with debrid), vaders, beast, eternal they all fail to work properly. I even went out and purchased an Nvidia Shield because every time I brought it up all I got was "firesticks are shit, thats your problem". Funny, the shield behaves the same. If I hotspot my Shield or Firesticks off of my phone I can watch anything flawlessly (phone speedtests at 290Mbps), and nearly instant. Switch back to shaw (even hardwired) I get buffering, and kodi won't even start a source streaming after finding them all. Clearly its a back end issue. Just for fun I redownloaded the apk's I use, and noticed that anything tied to the domains that the IPTV services feed off of would CRAWL through a download (about 4 minutes for a 50mb file). Downloading the same file on my phone or public wifi, nearly instant. I noticed that the bigger files, 90mb ones, start fast for the first 15mb or so, and then take forever for the last 75mb, consistent with what I see when I load channels or kodi, the first few secodns buffers up fast, then just gets too slow to maintain the stream. Again, through the support groups for these, there are no other problems and I can reproduce problem free service if I eliminate shaw. Fuckin frustrating.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    So something is definitely up with the service. I had a pretty negative interaction with a shaw chat tech yesterday who accused everything but the service, my routers, my devices, having too many connected, etc. I went all the way right down to the studs, unbridged my modem and connected LAN to it and factory reset it, still great speedtest results, but whenever I try any of Kodi (with debrid), vaders, beast, eternal they all fail to work properly. I even went out and purchased an Nvidia Shield because every time I brought it up all I got was "firesticks are shit, thats your problem". Funny, the shield behaves the same. If I hotspot my Shield or Firesticks off of my phone I can watch anything flawlessly (phone speedtests at 290Mbps), and nearly instant. Switch back to shaw (even hardwired) I get buffering, and kodi won't even start a source streaming after finding them all. Clearly its a back end issue. Just for fun I redownloaded the apk's I use, and noticed that anything tied to the domains that the IPTV services feed off of would CRAWL through a download (about 4 minutes for a 50mb file). Downloading the same file on my phone or public wifi, nearly instant. I noticed that the bigger files, 90mb ones, start fast for the first 15mb or so, and then take forever for the last 75mb, consistent with what I see when I load channels or kodi, the first few secodns buffers up fast, then just gets too slow to maintain the stream. Again, through the support groups for these, there are no other problems and I can reproduce problem free service if I eliminate shaw. Fuckin frustrating.
    What router are you using?
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    What router are you using?
    I've done it on all of my netgear orbi ac4400, an asus rt-66 (both LAN and WAN), as well as directly with the XB6 from shaw (LAN and WAN) with no change. I went through and completely factory reset them, and set up a DMZ for the device just to make sure there was no other restrictions either. My neighbor also has an orbi, which is why I was able to connect to his service (telus) to also test the connections.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Anyone notice speeds have been really strange in the past week or so?
    Been having weird problems like dropped packets and really slow initial speeds, to inconsistent speeds. Looks like it's not just me, the shaw forum has people that seem to be having the same issues too.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Anyone notice speeds have been really strange in the past week or so?
    Been having weird problems like dropped packets and really slow initial speeds, to inconsistent speeds. Looks like it's not just me, the shaw forum has people that seem to be having the same issues too.
    Wonder if the copper cuts in the last few months has effected stuff like this

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Wonder if the copper cuts in the last few months has effected stuff like this
    Oh? I didn’t realize copper theft was still a thing.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Oh? I didn’t realize copper theft was still a thing.
    Why do you think we had two major outages in the last couple of months with Shaw.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Last edited by Swank; 01-23-2019 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Another reason to go with FTTH, no market for used glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Another reason to go with FTTH, no market for used glass.
    Our industrial sector was recently hit, they cut the fibre, the news "claimed" theft. I figured it was accidental at first from a mislocated dig. Affected us for almost a week.

I told my boss it was strange that it happened on the day his only disgruntled employee was out of town (Me). I'm sure it was a coincidence.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Got the e-mail yesterday! They are finally now upgrading Biz customers from 300 to 600 no charge, just fill out a form and they ship us the modem.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I see that Shaw Gigabit is now available.... On the business side it's 1Gbps down, and 120Mbps up...

Anyone sign up? Reviews?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looks like 600 (Business) gets 100mbps uploads too. Nice.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast