Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now! - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 300 is out now!

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the Hitron really that bad? Even if I’m able to get full signal everywhere in my house?
    I had no problems with normal usage, but once I added the Nest hello doorbell that uploads constantly, it would disconnect frequently and take 20+ mins to reconnect on it's own. Once I upgraded to a mesh system, I have basically 99% on time for the doorbell camera.

Is the Hitron really that bad? Even if I’m able to get full signal everywhere in my house?
    If it's working for you that's all that matters (max speeds everywhere is all you can really ask for), but it's definitely not as good as a higher end router. I remember the Shaw guy who brought me mine even told me it was bad and to make sure I was using a 'real' router haha. If it works for your usage, great.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

I ran speedtest yesterday before I reset my modem and was getting 173/16 after reset 330/16. Now I ran it between my desktop that is wired and my laptop that's on wireless (and right beside the router). got 332/16 wired and only 230/16 on the laptop. I've got 2 desktops a NVR, and a nas all hardwired into it, and a ton of crap on both the 2.4 and 5ghz networks.

Seems I have a different modem than everyone. Shaw provided me a cisco3848 when I originally signed up for shaw 50. I had preemptively ordered a netgear ac1900(r700) so I had it there but the shaw guy said this modem/router was just as good and to try it out first. It performed fine so I returned the netgear unopened and have been using the same cisco unit. Since then and have had no complaints other than it has a rather long reset time.

Although recently I've been having some issues with ping during or shortly after I do big downloads. The speed stays fine but my ping goes to 200-300 and I need to reset the modem for it to go back to normal. Any ideas?

I saw an 850 on the Netflix speed test page as well, but I'm currently at our CFB Moose Jaw home, not Calgary, and haven't tested the Calgary connex yet. Mostly older, as in retired 65+ users in this area, so it's very unsaturated with "power" users, so good times on the bandwidth even during peak ours of 1700 to 2200, I've never seen it test below 320 on the regular Speedtest page in since before the boost to 600, and always way over 660 at least since then as well.

Hah, 300 through the Sasktel Telco Fiber, which we have and is very, very good stability and ping wise, is still $149.95 on their website, which is $55 higher than you can get a 2 year 300/600 deal through Shaw here. I think they have the competition in their sights IMO.

Mazda, I feel your pain, having been through that with Shaw before in Calgary many times. Please update the thread after the "master tech" comes Thursday, and update us on how it went, I'm interested in hearing.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Does the new style modem work better for these speeds than the Hitron? The Arris XB6, looks like a lil subwoofer/speaker

Gonna see if Shaw will upgrade me to the new modem then. *just went through my laptop settings and noticed my Wifi adapter only has Wireless N on it but still doesn't explain why such low speeds @ 25-30 mbs. Cell phone is getting 90ish.

Name:  img-modem1.png
Views: 528
Size:  25.9 KB
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-04-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I had the hitron for a while, I didn't mind it. They moved me onto the cisco, which was awesome, and when I moved to the 300 (600), they forced me onto the XB6, which had nothing but problems the first 2 weeks. Every time my router or modem would reboot, it wouldn't issue an IP address, even after being swapped out. It magically fixed itself for me, eventually, but I have friends who still can't reboot it without having to reboot everything attached to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I had the hitron for a while, I didn't mind it. They moved me onto the cisco, which was awesome, and when I moved to the 300 (600), they forced me onto the XB6, which had nothing but problems the first 2 weeks. Every time my router or modem would reboot, it wouldn't issue an IP address, even after being swapped out. It magically fixed itself for me, eventually, but I have friends who still can't reboot it without having to reboot everything attached to it.
    Not to mention the XB6 itself takes something like 5-6 minutes just to reboot.

My Ride
    06 S2000

And it's not wall mountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Not to mention the XB6 itself takes something like 5-6 minutes just to reboot.
    Mine takes less than one minute to reboot even after a hard power cycle. When I reset it to get my 660Mbps on Monday it was definitely less than 1 minute.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

i power cycled my modem at work, and it's only getting 260mps.... I have 300 haha.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I wasn't able to get higher than 350 mbps using the online speedtest. But I was able to get well over 600 mbps speedtest windows application.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Shaw “senior technician” came out today. Got me up to 230/18 on a wired connection. That was at 3:40pm. On a wireless connection, I achieved 178/16.1 standing next to the modem with an iPhone 8. (See results below. I bought the Speedtest App)

At 22:50 I tried again both on WiFi and on Rogers LTE. The wifi results are embarrassing. Less than 2MBps??? Their network is clearly overloaded in my neighbourhood. Works fine during peak times, then drops to a 3G equivalent when everyone is using the service?? All my neighbors complain of similar problems. Shaw insists the network isn’t overloaded. I’ll let the numbers speak for themselves. All speed tests are time stamped.

I’ll be calling Telus this week.

Name:  5FF6A35E-7EB2-4B65-B311-65F440A5A221.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  6A3A83D9-A331-49B0-B31B-B121084E0E48.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  713CEF23-02AE-4EBD-971B-F347455B99CD.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by Maxx Mazda; 12-07-2018 at 12:03 AM.

My Ride
    Trucks

The last time I had issues like that I was in an older rental house. They had their analyzer on the incoming line and tried a few settings with no luck. They came back the next week and replaced the overhead line to the house and halfway down the alley and a few splices of sorts, using a bucket truck. All was good after that.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The last time I had issues like that I was in an older rental house. They had their analyzer on the incoming line and tried a few settings with no luck. They came back the next week and replaced the overhead line to the house and halfway down the alley and a few splices of sorts, using a bucket truck. All was good after that.
    House is a 2016 build. Shaw claims signal into the house is fine. It HAS to be an infrastructure issue at this point. I get the proper speeds when everyone is at work, but as soon as it’s “prime time” and everyone is streaming their Netflix in the neighbourhood, the node is overloaded and everyone suffers. I’m not the only neighbour having issues either.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

House is a 2016 build. Shaw claims signal into the house is fine. It HAS to be an infrastructure issue at this point. I get the proper speeds when everyone is at work, but as soon as it’s “prime time” and everyone is streaming their Netflix in the neighbourhood, the node is overloaded and everyone suffers. I’m not the only neighbour having issues either.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're overloaded. Lots of Chinese people in the area, they're all streaming tvpad's haha. I have family in the new areas too. No clue how fast they are, they're on the cheapest plan that can stream Chinese TV.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

If your wall speed is fine but your WiFi drops, it's not a Shaw issue. What is your wall speed when you get really bad WiFi speeds?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If your wall speed is fine but your WiFi drops, it's not a Shaw issue. What is your wall speed when you get really bad WiFi speeds?
    This.

Wifi in a dense neighborhood will fight for channels. Use 5GHz if you can for dense areas, even if it meant less range.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Pretty sure he said his wall speed drops too. His description looks like textbook overloaded node. I had to deal with that shit at my parent's house in Kincora for years till Shaw fixed it. Bored parents with no Chinese TV means I have to talk to them.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Pretty sure he said his wall speed drops too. His description looks like textbook overloaded node. I had to deal with that shit at my parent's house in Kincora for years till Shaw fixed it. Bored parents with no Chinese TV means I have to talk to them.

I didn't see a speed test from the wall so I wasn't sure. I'm also thinking if he's in a packed neighborhood it could be a router channel/band issue or something similar, or maybe better hardware is needed. I had slow WiFi speeds in my old condo building until I sorted that out and then I was maxed out everywhere.

Your issue sounds like it was much worse though haha.

My Ride
    Grimace

Oh wow, look at telus now offering 950/750, 750/750 if you have access to fibre. Still $15/mth extra if you want unlimited vs 1tb bandwidth. That is still kind of funny.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast