Quantcast
Alberta Driver's License Road Tests Re-Regulated - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Driver's License Road Tests Re-Regulated

Default Alberta Driver's License Road Tests Re-Regulated

The province is asking for input as it moves forward with a plan to improve the training, testing and oversight of all drivers, particularly those in the commercial trucking industry.

Modifications to the Driver Examiner Road Test Model

Alberta is planning modifications to the road test model for all classes of drivers, including the possibility of restoring driver examiners as government employees. These changes come in the wake of a 2016 independent report which identified issues in the industry, such as inconsistent road test fees, poor service and improprieties, including criminal activity in some cases.

Alberta road test fees are the highest in Canada and government will be seeking feedback on this as well.

The province will conduct consultations throughout July 2018 to consider these three initiatives.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Sweet it’s about time!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yea it seems a little odd, but ICBC has actually done well with this regards in BC (just not their rates). Standardized testing and they implemented a decent GDL system back in the 90s.

For profit, government services are not always better.

My Ride
    Silverado

Tye government has never shown any evidence that the GDP program succeeded here in AB. I'd bet they are looking at making changes because 90% of GDl drivers think it's a cash grab and aren't upgrading. I actually wrote my MLa asking for information About the success of the program. Never heard back.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

They can change all they want, but it ain't going to do shit for all the bullshit people do after their license has been issues.

You know... distracted driving.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They can change all they want, but it ain't going to do shit for all the bullshit people do after their license has been issues.

You know... distracted driving.
    Distracted driving is always going to be there, not much anyone can do about it. From phone calls, to switching radio stations, to kids or dogs causing a ruckus in the back seat, to an annoying wind whistle from a door. It's a battle that can never be won.

However, I do hope this cuts down on people that are new to the country or whatever basically just buying their license. I would like to see mandatory driver retesting every 10 years and every 5 years after age 65. I would also like to see it taken over by government facilities to do the testing instead of random contractors.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Wow! This has been needed for a long time now. I would personally like to see them become a lot more picky on the actual testing, and also some retesting, because there are a lot of people on the roads these days that really shouldn't be driving. I realize that people tend to 'forget' how to drive legally, but over the passed ~5-6 years the amount of people that roll stop signs/ red lights, never use their blinkers, and just are overall lazy drivers, has increased to the point where it is painfully noticeable. I personally felt that the drivers in Mexico were more switched on.

My Ride
    Silverado

I can be lazy and roll stops and then retest and then go right back to rolling stops.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    Wow! This has been needed for a long time now. I would personally like to see them become a lot more picky on the actual testing, and also some retesting, because there are a lot of people on the roads these days that really shouldn't be driving. I realize that people tend to 'forget' how to drive legally, but over the passed ~5-6 years the amount of people that roll stop signs/ red lights, never use their blinkers, and just are overall lazy drivers, has increased to the point where it is painfully noticeable. I personally felt that the drivers in Mexico were more switched on.
    Driving tests wont change attitudes behind the wheel.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Mandatory retesting every 10 years. I'd gladly do it.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Agreed, I saw BC’s program praised, friend/family from BC have all said it’s complete BS so I don’t think following in their footsteps will change anything. They are looking at standardizing things here not necessarily improving.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would be satisfied with even written retests. I think a lot of people literally have no recollection of half the things in that little book they give out in high schools.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I would be satisfied with even written retests. I think a lot of people literally have no recollection of half the things in that little book they give out in high schools.
    High school? I did all mine in BC through an insurance office.

As many have stated in this thread... you can retest all you want but it ain't going to do shit. People will retest and pass and go on with their merry way.

The Class 6 test is a damn joke compared to that of which you take to get your Class 5

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yes high school, wgaf about what they do in bc lol.

Well if government returns instructors to being independant government employees, no I am not convinced everyone will pass. Amazing what happens when you can’t buy licenses from your buddies cousin in beddington anymore.

As for the class 6 exam, what is so different between it and a class 5? Aka what is your point?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yes high school, wgaf about what they do in bc lol.

Well if government returns instructors to being independant government employees, no I am not convinced everyone will pass. Amazing what happens when you can’t buy licenses from your buddies cousin in beddington anymore.

As for the class 6 exam, what is so different between it and a class 5? Aka what is your point?
    ymngaf but everyone has learned different to drive hence this thread and the though process of standardizing..

My point was that the tests are a joke and unless you actually make them difficult and tough to learn then nobody is going to learn anything.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    No it wouldn't, but testing/retesting might weed out some people who should have never gotten a license in the first place or are no longer capable of operating a vehicle safely.

That said, I really doubt this will change anything.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Damned if you do, damned if you don't for the government here...

People have been clamoring for change in the licensing system forever. Gotta start somewhere.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    I personally felt that the drivers in Mexico were more switched on.
    This has been the case for decades. 99/100 Canadian drivers would get in an accident 2 blocks from home on Mexican roads. They're chaos, but the drivers are WAY better than ours; that's the only way (organized) chaos can work on the roads. We have idiots here that have a 30' berth around their car everywhere they go and still manage to get in accidents.

On topic, I'm glad this is finally happening. I'm very skeptical for how successful/efficient they'll be, but gotta start somewhere. Great news.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't for the government here...

People have been clamoring for change in the licensing system forever. Gotta start somewhere.
    No kidding, Beyond has been bitching (for years!) about how bad the drivers are here in Alberta, likely from all the fact that your cousin runs a registry and can get you a license no problem. There are TONS of people that should have never gotten their license in the first place and yet somehow got it.

Now all the sudden it's a stupid idea and why bother. Because NDP?

You can't make this shit up.

Thank God this is happening, an actual standardized testing protocol across the province would be excellent. Maybe the next generation of drivers won't be a left-lane retards #areyoulisteninggod
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    No kidding, Beyond has been bitching (for years!) about how bad the drivers are here in Alberta, likely from all the fact that your cousin runs a registry and can get you a license no problem. There are TONS of people that should have never gotten their license in the first place and yet somehow got it.

Now all the sudden it's a stupid idea and why bother. Because NDP?

You can't make this shit up.

Thank God this is happening, an actual standardized testing protocol across the province would be excellent. Maybe the next generation of drivers won't be a left-lane retards #areyoulisteninggod
    I'm confused, who are you replying to? Who said it's a stupid idea in this thread? It seems like everyone agrees this is a good idea, but only a first step because the tests itself are a joke today, and suggest the government go further to perform retests.

Who even mentioned NDP? I guess you can make this shit up.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast