Quantcast
Long Distance Riding for New Riders (My 2018 Trip) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Riding for New Riders (My 2018 Trip)

My Ride
    Audi

Default Long Distance Riding for New Riders (My 2018 Trip)

Hi folks, i'm looking at doing my first long-distance ride later this summer. I'm looking for some advice from more experienced riders before I venture out, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I will also see if I can maybe update this thread during my trip too.

My level of experience is 1 year of riding regularly on the street, total of ~4500KM put on street bikes. The riding i've done is mostly city riding around Calgary during rush hour but also a few rides up the 2A and around Calgary on the secondary highways. The rides i've done haven't been more than 2-3 hours long and I can ride my bike for about 2-3 hours before it gets mildly uncomfortable.

The ride I am looking to do is a 1 week ride from Calgary to Revelstoke on highway 1, down highway 23 towards Creston, and through the crowsnest pass, and up the cowboy trail towards Calgary. I am planning on doing the trip SOLO and will be camping the whole way. I have made 1 reservation for my first 2 nights but don't really want to make too many plans in advance so i'm not on a schedule. I'm expecting to ride from here to Nakusp on the first day (giving myself 10 hours to get there before it gets dark).

The gear I'm bringing is a typical backpack camping gear + some bike gear (non exhaustive list):
    • Small tent
    • campers stove + cooking gear
    • small hatchet and knife
    • camelback
    • 1 (maybe 2) days worth of food
    • sleeping bag / compression sack
    • A few powerpacks (for camera + phone)
    • rainsuit + chain lube + some tools
    • extra visor for helmet
    • gorilla tape + zip ties + paracord

My bike is an '18 Yamaha MT07 with a windscreen, and I will have the Dryspec D106 drybag system.

map:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calga...51.0486151!3e0

My Ride
    06 S2000

Longest I've done was Calgary to Nakusp in a single day on an FZ-09, so similar bike. The windshield was a big plus, but I also had a modified seat from http://powersportseats.com/ which made a big difference. I would suggest sheepskin if you're running the stock seat at this point. Also, take stops for gas as a decent break to get off the bike, stretch, let your legs move around.

I can't speak to overnight, as I had the bonus of having a car with me, so I was able to toss anything I needed in that, and we weren't camping, we had booked rooms in Nakusp.

Of note, music was a life-saver. I couldn't imagine doing that ride with only my thoughts to keep me company.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If your bike doesn't have one, get a throttle lock. Also ear plugs are a must. 10 hours of wind noise will fuck up your ears.

You are just inches from one of the better roads in the interior of BC.

Faquier to Cherryville is awesome. Go south on highway 6 and take the ferry acroos. Get off the ferry and park on the side of the road for 20 minutes. You then have a buffer for catching up to traffic that allows you to get your knee down if you are so inclined. Just stay on your side of the yellow line. There are some nice slow 1st and 2nd gear corners. If I still had a bike, I would go with you just for that road.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm sure it's probably already on the list, but just in case it's not, how about an emergency fuel bottle for gasoline?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5015-640/Fuel-Bottle

(Probably want to get something visibly different from your stove fuel.)

Wear a pair of cycling shorts under your pants.They will save your butt on long days in the saddle.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Lots of good information here so far. That whole area is prime Motorcycle territory, pretty much everyone caters to moto-tourism.Fill up before you go south of Revelstoke & watch out for logging company trucks that drive like they are in the Indy500. I would recommend you swap your Hwy 6 route plans for 31A & 3A to Creston. Also, on your way back make sure set out on Hwy22 north with a full tank, long stretch without fuel. Otherwise that's a good excursion.

-throttle lock/crampbuster is almost mandatory.
    -additional seat padding goes a long way
    -visor cleaner & microfiber cloth (sunglasses/tint?)
    -does the MT07 have the same 12v charging port as the FJ? You may want an aftermarket one.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    Lots of good information here so far. That whole area is prime Motorcycle territory, pretty much everyone caters to moto-tourism.Fill up before you go south of Revelstoke & watch out for logging company trucks that drive like they are in the Indy500. I would recommend you swap your Hwy 6 route plans for 31A & 3A to Creston. Also, on your way back make sure set out on Hwy22 north with a full tank, long stretch without fuel. Otherwise that's a good excursion.

-throttle lock/crampbuster is almost mandatory.
    -additional seat padding goes a long way
    -visor cleaner & microfiber cloth (sunglasses/tint?)
    -does the MT07 have the same 12v charging port as the FJ? You may want an aftermarket one.
    It doesn't have the same charging port. I just used one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender.../dp/B00DJ5KEF4
    paired with one of these:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000NCOKZQ
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

As mentioned, 3a is awesome, worth the ferry ride

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

You probably already have, but plan your fuel stops. Don't be an idiot and run your bike out of fuel. A lot of motorcyclists over estimate their remaining fuel thinking 'oh yah, I can make it.' ..... doesn't end well.

I actually have a big trip planned soon. We leave in a week. My brothers and I are riding out to northwest of Salmon Arm. Staying out there for a few days, and coming back.

As previously posted, music is nice. I have the Sena headset. Also picked up a Cramp Buster so I can stretch out my throttle hand. Going to help a lot!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for cramp buster/wrist saver, and an extra fuel bottle. Those were two things I never went on a longer ride without.

If your budget allows, I'd book (or plan on staying) at a motel at least one night on the trip. A hot shower/bath and nice bed are a way bigger deal after spending a couple days on a bike.

I wouldn't bother with a sheepskin, it's not like you're doing a super long trip, but cycling shorts would be a great idea.

In addition to the rain suit, I hope you have waterproof gloves unless you don't mind having wet cold hands. Rode up to kelowna once and out of nowhere came the rain. Also a nice to have if you could get your hands on a tank bag, and maybe a sena comm. system, makes phone/music so much easier, since you'll be wearing ear plugs. Extra reflective tape might come in handy if you're planning on night riding and sandals/flip flops.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by hrdkore View Post
    In addition to the rain suit, I hope you have waterproof gloves unless you don't mind having wet cold hands.
    If you're not going to get waterproof gloves, some latex gloves as emergency glove liners probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the water off your hands as you're riding either.

My Ride
    RSTi

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    If you're not going to get waterproof gloves, some latex gloves as emergency glove liners probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the water off your hands as you're riding either.
    Yeah, this was absolutely the worst part of the 1500km shower I took a few years ago. I could barely grip the handlebars at some points because of the chill that went right through my hands.

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Good responses so far.

A microfibre cloth is all you really need for cleaning your visor. Just add water.

I'd also add a tire pressure gauge.

I'm heading out that way this weekend, maybe we'll cross paths
    Originally posted by t_soarer
    ....can anyone say "retarted"?
    Originally posted by leftwing
    no more retarted 18 year old girls who fail out.
    Originally posted by benyl
    The english language is retarted...
    Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Stanced cars look retarted anyways.

My Ride
    Audi

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll pickup a crampbuster from GW this week. I've got my kit mostly figured out for my trip (I'm not leaving for ~2 weeks). Debating what I should do about my gloves though! My gloves are not waterproof and i don't want to buy new gloves. I've got small hands, so covers will be a problem because of the bulk. I had a suggestion that I should just pickup nitrile gloves that can go over my leather gloves.

As far as the route goes, the only thing i've confirmed is 1 night, with an option for 2, at Rider Retreat in Nakusp. After that, it's going to be wherever i end up for the day. I'm not on a schedule beyond I need to be back in Calgary within 6 days of when I leave. Other than the first day (from Calgary to Nakusp), I want to be where i'm staying for the night by 3pm. So i'll definitely check that route over to Vernon and change my route further south (Riders Ranch is down that way).

Also i'm not sure what to with the fuel tank. I've got soft bags, so mounting a jerry can to the outside of it will be done with straps. If I carry a 1L can internally, it's not going to get me very far (maybe 25km?).

Once I've got my kit mostly together i'll start posting pics of prepping it to go on the bike.

If you know the mileage on 1 tank and map out your trip gas station wise you should be ok. If theres any gas stations off the beaten path i would call ahead to make sure they dont close certain days or have weird hours(not likely but you never know). If the distance between 1 gas stop to another is potentially putting you into reserve range then youll need a jerry. Depending on how spirited you ride that can really cut into your kms so be careful if you have a longer stretch between stops. I made it from calgary to canmore no problem on my r1 but on the way back i was 15kms into reserve by the time i got to cochrane(filled up in calgary and canmore).

If you dont want to get some waterproof gloves, maybe consider some of those rubber dishwashing type gloves to go over your existing gloves. We got stuck in an accident in our car coming back from canmore and it was pouring rain, there were bikers beside us and they had black rubber gloves on. Im not sure if they had their gloves on underneath but that would be too risky to ride with just rubbers and since your hands are smaller you might be able to get some xl's to fit over your current gloves.

Looking forward to updates
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Another thought: since you're doing this alone, have you thought about getting a GPS tracker so that friends/family know where you are by logging online and checking your location? Just in case you get in trouble and haven't checked in a while, then at least your location can be zeroed in.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Another thought: since you're doing this alone, have you thought about getting a GPS tracker so that friends/family know where you are by logging online and checking your location? Just in case you get in trouble and haven't checked in a while, then at least your location can be zeroed in.
    You've got a bike, just go with him!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Haha I'm actually on a trip the same time as him

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Haha I'm actually on a trip the same time as him
    He's glamping while i'm camping on my trip. Pretty sure I know what he's picking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast