Quantcast
Long Distance Riding for New Riders (My 2018 Trip) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long Distance Riding for New Riders (My 2018 Trip)

My Ride
    S14/Daily/Bike

Just did a 3000+km trip on an MT09 through BC at the end of June. For spots to drive to, I highly recommend Toads Motorcycle camp and if you can stay a couple nights to hit the roads around the Kootenays such as the road between Kaslo and New Denver. The route we took was: Radium, Toad motorcycle camp (kaslo), Kelowna, Princeton (through penticton), Vancouver, Lillooet, Revelstoke, Nordegg then home. Rain gear is essential for both yourself and gear that you don't want wet. I used snowboarding gloves when it rained and would dry them out at night as we got lucky and it only rained 2 or 3 times. If you want a cheaper option to put over your regular gear, I picked this up from Marks: https://www.marks.com/en/ganka-two-p...color%5D=BLACK

Ear plugs, bicycle shorts/pad, dry bags, throttle lock, mobile charger and typical hike camping gear are all highly recommended. If you want to save space with food, grab some dehydrated food at any outdoor store, they may be expensive but are light and take up little space while still tasting good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nuGsEboxyaZPVqiQA

In many ways, the advice being offered up in this thread is quite similar to what I might've offered from experiences some 30 years ago when doing long distance trips on my own or with my brothers/friends. Do not ever stretch your gas and these days the distances between fuel stations is greater than it was 30 years ago so it is more important now plus you get to stretch your legs and butt.

If tenting, a motel/hotel very few nights is well worth the money and a rain suit is most welcome even when it sometimes is not raining, I remember being up on the Crater Lake, Oregon highway with snow on the sides of the highway and it was so cold that no appreciable heat was coming off of the engine so the rain suit just cut down on the wind chill. That was the same night that we almost ran out of fuel because we did not check ahead to confirm that a certain gas station was open during the timing of our trip, thankfully it was a long downhill haul from the top of Crater Lake to our hotel and that downhill haul allowed my brother and our friend to coast with engines off to conserve fuel, their Honda V45 Magna's were pigs on fuel compared to my Yamaha XJ750MK and they didn't have a reserve switch to rely on either.

If camping, do not, I repeat, do not drape your leathers over a fence post to warm up in the sun after a cold night - many bugs will find that warming leather comforting as well and we sure as hell looked quite silly a few miles down the road beating our jackets about in the air trying to rid them of whatever bugs they had attracted.

Keep a small aluminum plate stored away somewhere on your bike as pavement can get quite soft on hot days and that small plate can save your bike from falling over after the sidestand has punched through the pavement. Actually just keep a small aluminum plate on your bike at all times as pavement can soften up quite a bit even here in Calgary. Throttle lock is also a must, it may seem unsafe to some but on long boring stretches it just gives you some relief.
    Last edited by speedog; 07-23-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

- tire plug kit and a high volume bicycle hand pump
    - neck warmer for cold days
    - check/lube your chain before you head out
    - radar/lidar detector with ear buds if youre going to ride hard (just recall that BC has a +40 impound law)

My Ride
    RSTi

Quote Originally Posted by moyz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what I wore during my aforementioned trip and both pieces were fantastic at repelling water.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I’m in Kelowna right now after doing calgary to Vancouver and I’m on my way back. Drivebc is great for road conditions. Check it out every day before riding. It shows construction, major accidents and road closures. Bring waterproof gloves, because weather in the mountains changes quickly. I tossed on my warm gloves for a stretch before Hope on the Hope-Princeton because it was getting windy and chilly. For food, stop where the bikes are. It seems silly, but the bikers know where the good local food is. Pay attention for cops, but honestly on my trip the biggest police presence was in Revy. I’ve also done my major riding on weekdays so maybe that makes a difference.

Also I’ve noticed that very few people give two shits about the speed limit here in B.C. especially on the highways. I’ve found myself at 130 on a 90 road because going slower would be unsafe. Go at your own pace, pull over for breaks, ride smart, and keep two wheels on the ground.

Also, the smells in the mountains are unreal. You don’t get that same experience in a car. Smelling the pine trees is the best part.

-------
    Edit:

Just got into Calgary. My warm gloves were super helpful from Canmore into Calgary because of the rain and wind. I would recommend getting used to your "alternative" gloves. I have shorties that I wear all the time, but they feel drastically different than my waterproof gloves which are thicker, so the bar and instrument feel is different. Try and wear in both sets of gloves as you ride around the city so that you are comfortable with both pairs.
    Last edited by 300havoc; 07-26-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Fixed for phone typing.

This is the "Iron ass challenge" me and a buddy used to do, and I highly recommend this route for bike trips.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calga...51.0486151!3e0

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

https://sc-ma.com/rides/3-flag-parent/3fc18-flyer/

Will be doing this again. Did it last year and turned it into a 3 week ride through BC down to Mexico and back up the PCH along the West Coast. 14000km.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO View Post
    This is the "Iron ass challenge" me and a buddy used to do, and I highly recommend this route for bike trips.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calga...51.0486151!3e0
    Did a similar one for my bachelor trip (the one Perfect Dark keeps alluding to).

Friday:
    Calgary -> Revelstoke -> Nakusp
    Saturday:
    Nakusp -> Vernon -> Revelstoke -> Nakusp
    Sunday:
    Nakusp -> Revelstoke -> Calgary

Pack Leader by Jonny W, on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Did a similar one for my bachelor trip (the one Perfect Dark keeps alluding to).

Friday:
    Calgary -> Revelstoke -> Nakusp
    Saturday:
    Nakusp -> Vernon -> Revelstoke -> Nakusp
    Sunday:
    Nakusp -> Revelstoke -> Calgary
    looks like a fun trip but you missed one of the gems in the area. the 31a between Kaslo and New Denver

My Ride
    Audi

I left on Sunday morning at 8am and ended up coming home on Wednesday around 9pm. Ended up coming up early because I woke up Wed morning and my lungs were burning from sleeping outside in the smoke down near Creston (was worse down there than up at Nakusp). I wish I had stayed in Nakusp longer (was a more enjoyable ride and the smoke wasn't as bad)

The route I took was:

Sunday: Calgary -> Revelstoke -> Nakusp
    Monday: Nakusp -> New Denver -> Kaslo -> New Denver -> Kaslo -> New Denver -> Nakusp
    Tuesday: Nakusp -> New Denver -> Kaslo -> Ainsworth -> Balfour -> Kootenay Bay -> Creston -> Kitchener
    Wednesday: Kitchener -> Cranbrook -> Sparwood -> Blairmore -> Long View -> Turner Valley -> Calgary

Camped at:
    Riders Retreat (2 nights @ $60/night)
    Riders Ranch (1 night @ $15/night)

Favourite Ride: New Denver -> Kaslo
    Second Favourite Ride: Kootenay Bay -> Creston
    Least Favourite: Highway 22 up to Long View (I had to ride in the shoulder 3 times as vehicles passed head on with me on a 1-lane highway and couldn't make it :@)

Lessons learned:
    - Next year I will leave my camping gear at home for this trip and just stay at Riders Retreat (where they provide you with a furnished tent). I'll just do day trips down to Balfour/Vernon and back from Nakusp instead of camping down in the Creston area.
    - The D38 bag when mounted in the D106 configuration on the Yamaha MT07 is too big. It hangs and partially blocks the brake light. Also the straps used aren't secure enough on the bike so I had to throw a ratchet strap to hold the D38 tighter to the seat.
    - With the heat, taking my camelbak was a life saver.
    - Stopping and enjoying the scenery was just as important as the ride. On my 3rd trip on 31A I stopped at probably 4-5 different places just to chill.
    - Riding solo is nice and chill, but riding in a group with better riders has made me a better rider (especially though the 31A). The person infront of me would use his brakes to let me know when I needed to slow down for a turn.
    - Get gas frequently. Small town gas stations close early, or didn't have anything other than 87 octane. So I gassed up even when I was filling up <5L.

My Ride
    Audi

Also, a few more lessons learned:

- Rather than get frustrated at slow vehicles, I just pulled over, took a water break, enjoyed scenery, calmed down, and then continued on my way.
    - Fatigue made me do a dumb thing which I will admit. I got home, pulled into my garage, turned off the motor, and dropped my bike. I forgot to put my kickstand down. Thankfully, it landed on the frame slider I had just installed before the trip (it pivoted on the frame slider and one of the D20 bags) so no damage to the bike

My Ride
    06 S2000

Good tips! Did you end up using the cycling pants? Did they help?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Good tips! Did you end up using the cycling pants? Did they help?
    Nope I didn't wear cycling shorts. I just took lots of breaks (the longest ride I did without stopping was ~2 hours).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2