Quantcast
Windows 10 (1803 build) & SSD's - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Windows 10 (1803 build) & SSD's

Default Windows 10 (1803 build) & SSD's

Did anyone else's recent major W10 update kill their SSD speed? It's build 1803. It took 1,200 MBps off my Samsung 960 Pro. My storage SSDs seem to be unaffected. I'm using the Samsung NVMe drivers & firmware is up to date. Found a couple threads online with the same issue but they are useless. My PC also takes 3-4 times longer to start up than it used to ever since the update which seems to be a more common issue when I search other forums, but nobody has a solution.

Anyone else noticing something similar?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone else's recent major W10 update kill their SSD speed? It's build 1803. It took 1,200 MBps off my Samsung 960 Pro. My storage SSDs seem to be unaffected. I'm using the Samsung NVMe drivers & firmware is up to date. Found a couple threads online with the same issue but they are useless. My PC also takes 3-4 times longer to start up than it used to ever since the update which seems to be a more common issue when I search other forums, but nobody has a solution.

Anyone else noticing something similar?
    Most likely the patches for the Intel security flaws.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I think 3 of my PCs have received that update already (with boot SSDs) and I haven't noticed any performance change at all, boot times are still 10-20 seconds. Maybe it's specific to certain SSDs, that would suck.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I've had no issues with my 950evo or 960pro with the latest build

Interesting. I'll try the latest BIOS too, maybe that will help.

Also, since the update, one of my storage Samsung 850 EVO's randomly becomes undiscoverable anytime I try to use it for more than a few seconds. It shows up in windows explorer but you can't copy anything to the drive and Samsung Magician can't even see it for me to format it. I'm going to try a different SATA port but I'll be shocked if that fixes it since it only happened since 1803.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    I've had no issues with my 950evo or 960pro with the latest build
    Did you benchmark before & after?

I updated my bios, but no resolution unfortunately.

I actually don't care as much about the speed as I do my other problem. My Samsung 850 EVO works when I first start up my computer, but after I try to do something with it, such as copy something to it or use it as my NZB/newsgroups temp drive, I get the following message:

"Could not find this item' Item is no longer located in (source drive). Verify it's location and try again". The error is strange for two reasons. 1) It refers to my perfectly functioning source drive when it is clearly an issue with the destination Samsung SSD. 2) The item it says it can't find is most definitely there.

After this error occurs, Samsung Magician can no longer see the drive. Windows can see it and I can browse it but I can't write to it.

For example, I will try to copy 100 photos to the drive and the error pops up after about 4 photos.

The problem is so specific that googling so far has not given me any results.

Got the drive to format, but that didn't help either.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-11-2018 at 07:22 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Did you benchmark before & after?

I updated my bios, but no resolution unfortunately.

I actually don't care as much about the speed as I do my other problem. My Samsung 850 EVO works when I first start up my computer, but after I try to do something with it, such as copy something to it or use it as my NZB/newsgroups temp drive, I get the following message:

"Could not find this item' Item is no longer located in (source drive). Verify it's location and try again". The error is strange for two reasons. 1) It refers to my perfectly functioning source drive when it is clearly an issue with the destination Samsung SSD. 2) The item it says it can't find is most definitely there.

After this error occurs, Samsung Magician can no longer see the drive. Windows can see it and I can browse it but I can't write to it.

For example, I will try to copy 100 photos to the drive and the error pops up after about 4 photos.

The problem is so specific that googling so far has not given me any results.

Got the drive to format, but that didn't help either.
    Does the drive behave in the same way in a dock or USB connector?

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Does the drive behave in the same way in a dock or USB connector?
    I don't have the equipment to check that, unfortunately.

If the SSD became defective at the precise time Windows 10 did an update that would be one hell of a coincidence haha. When I have a little more time I will open the box and try a different SATA port, maybe it just needs to be "rediscovered". I have 6 other SATA drives all working perfectly, mix of SSD and HDD.

I may have found a possible root cause of my slow 960 pro...I have the Samsung nvme controller but the driver is labelled Microsoft. Unfortunately I have never checked this before, so I don't know if it's normal. Can anyone confirm?

Name:  2018-07-16_220253.png
Views: 142
Size:  43.5 KB

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Install Samgdung magician software and see what it tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Install Samgdung magician software and see what it tells you.
    Thanks. Ya I checked that and it says it's using the Samsung NVMe driver which is good, but I don't know why Windows is reporting otherwise. Still can't break 2/3 performance with Samsung Magician benchmark. If Windows is for some reason using it's shitty generic driver, that would explain it. Thought I was onto something there but I guess not.

In other news I revived my 850 Evo I was about to get rid of. In case that happens to anyone else, deleting the entire partition and reformatting through windows disk management brought it back to life (reformatting through Explorer did not work). W10 1803 did some weird things.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-16-2018 at 11:54 PM.

An anticlimactic update - turns out Samsung Magician is bugged, my drive is performing as it should at over 3000MB/s when using a different benchmark utility. Good news, but I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting. You'd think the OEM software would be optimistic if anything....guess not.